Firmware 2.02.32 Not playing all mp4 files

Are only people affected, who are using the Library feature?

Most of my videos files which are m4v on NAS can no longer play after the update, even after rebooting and resetting to factory defaults. Navigating was also very slow to the point of useless. Some of my mp4 files are playing but they are so few that I had to rollback the firmware. This is not a good update for me. Will we get an update to fix this please, and please test the update before releasing it the public?

Installed 2.2.32 then rolled back.  Wouldn’t play about half of my mp4s…it doesn’t give any hints as to the problem, it just reverts back to the folder containing the video files.  I’ll wait for the next update adressing this bug.

Same here.  I got a whole bunch of MP4 files which cannot be played.  Most of them just exit to the folder.  One or two of them played for 1-2 seconds and then exit to the folder.

I am not using the media library feature.

After reverting to the previous version, everything is fine.

Same here, lot of .mp4 video not playing anymore.
I’m not using the media library.

Can’t do any harm if more prople report it though, surely. The more people that open a ticket about this issue, the more pressure there is on WD to do something about it quickly, I’d have thought. Or doesn’t it work like that…?

Done !
Case opened. :wink:

All mp4 files work for me on newest firmware.

Using Media Server (Plex) to access media.

Note, if you’re not using the library feature and/or you’re using a media server to stream the videos, then you’re not going to see the same issues and problems.  Those of us who do use the library feature and don’t use a media server (one of the reasons I chose a WDTV over other boxes is that it doesn’t require the use of a media server to stream my files and has a nice library feature with automatically-downloaded info and thumbnails) are having serious issues with this new firmware.  If you’re NOT using those features, that’s great for you.  But you’re making it sound like this new firmware is all perfect.  Well, of course it is if you’re only using it to be a receiver for some other box/server thats doing all the work!

1 Like

Same problem here. After upgrading to 2.02.32 can’t play my mp4 files.

I hope that there will be a fix soon.

Case opened as well.:confounded:

I too have had an issue with some MP4 videos not playing since the firmware upgrade.  I have rolled back the firmware to 2.01.86 and all files now play correctly     I did raise a support ticket but received what appears to be a standard response to reset and reboot, which I knew would not work.     Until WDTV fix the bugs I shall not upgrade the firmware to the current version.   I presume WDTV follow this forum so they must be aware of the problem.

[Deleted - Trancer]  I just upgraded last night and had the same issue.  I searched the web and found this post.  Please tell me it’s going to be fixed soon.  Its very frustrating.

PLEASE FIX THIS.

Today I had the pleasure to encounter this bug, too. Not using library, or any mediaserver, just playing MP4s off an USB-stick.

Funny thing though: The UI was showing the total length of the MP4s for a fraction of a second, before switching back to the folder view. So the device is reading the container just fine, it just chokes on the video and/or audio stream.

This theory is also supported by the fact that remuxing the MP4 to MKV doesn’t fix the problem.

Sample?

schwurbel wrote:

Today I had the pleasure to encounter this bug, too. Not using library, or any mediaserver, just playing MP4s off an USB-stick.

Funny thing though: The UI was showing the total length of the MP4s for a fraction of a second, before switching back to the folder view. So the device is reading the container just fine, it just chokes on the video and/or audio stream.

This theory is also supported by the fact that remuxing the MP4 to MKV doesn’t fix the problem.

The issue should be in the mp4 header content that’s no more properly read by the box…

As a workaround, changing container from mp4 to mkv (without transcoding audio/video content) works for me.
It requires only few seconds for each mp4 file.

I made some successful tests with CapTVty…
It is a donationware program that’s basically allow download/replay several french TV programs from the Internet but has a small conversion tool to change the container from mp4 to mkv and vice versa.
It is is french but readable for english native.
Just go to the “conversion” tab, add (“ajouter”) a .mp4 file and click on Matroska.
A mkv file will be added at the same location as the original mp4.

http://captvty.fr/

schwurbel wrote:

Another one to try … mp3tag   http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Right-Click Options   “Optimize MP4”

moves the metadata block from the end of the file to the beginning to make the files “fast start streaming” compatible

Yes, it removes all free atoms and puts moov and tags before actual data

http://forums.mp3tag.de/lofiversion/index.php/t5081.html

Worth a try i guess … :neutral_face:

Thalys wrote:

schwurbel wrote:

The issue should be in the mp4 header content that’s no more properly read by the box…

As a workaround, changing container from mp4 to mkv (without transcoding audio/video content) works for me.
It requires only few seconds for each mp4 file.

You are right. After trying a few more files, some are indeed working after remuxing as MKV, but some aren’t. Weird!

I.e. the mp4 from OVERVIEW (downloaded with JDownloader2, filename “OVERVIEW_hd.mp4”, filesize 285.266.407 bytes, CRC f3163204) doesn’t work as MP4, but it works when remuxed to MKV with 7.1.0, or to MP4 with ffmpeg.

Not working:

General
Complete name : C:\temp\OVERVIEW_hd.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42
File size : 272 MiB
Duration : 19mn 1s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 1 999 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2013-10-05 04:55:01
Tagged date : UTC 2013-10-05 04:55:01

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L3.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate : 1 842 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 544 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.35:1
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.110
Stream size : 250 MiB (92%)
Writing library : x264 core 129 r2245 bc13772
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=72 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=1842 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=5 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=3750 / vbv_bufsize=12500 / nal_hrd=none / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Source duration : 19mn 1s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 158 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 21.5 MiB (8%)
Source stream size : 21.5 MiB (8%)

Working:

General
Complete name : C:\temp\OVERVIEW_hd2.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media
Codec ID : isom
File size : 272 MiB
Overall bit rate : 2 001 Kbps
Writing application : Lavf55.37.102

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L3.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate : 1 842 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 544 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.35:1
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.110
Stream size : 250 MiB (92%)
Writing library : x264 core 129 r2245 bc13772
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=72 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=1842 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=5 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=3750 / vbv_bufsize=12500 / nal_hrd=none / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Duration_LastFrame : 46ms
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 158 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 21.5 MiB (8%)

I’m still searching for a sample I can share, which doesn’t even work after remuxing.

EDIT:

The non-working remuxes were because of wrong configuration, so ignore these remarks.

And as another confirmation: All the affected unmodified files are working in 2.01.86.

Looking forward to the next firmware-update. :slight_smile:

Can someone please post the link on where they download the previous firmware: 2.01.86?

I downloaded it from the WD support/downloads, unziped the file, went into wdtvlivegen3.ver like the poster said, but I could not anything saying version 2.01.86.

This is what I get:

VERSION=‘5.00.50_middle_1126’
LOCATION=‘wdtvlivegen3.bin’
PKG_LOCATION=‘wdtvlivegen3.pkg’
ROOTFS2=‘wdtvlivegen3.bi2’

I tried changing the 5.00.50 to 2.01.86, transferred it on to my flash drive, plugged it into my WD live TV… nothing

Also, I’m only seeing 4 files not 5, wdtvlifegen3.bi2, wdtvlifegen3.bin, wdtvlifegen3.fff, and wdtvlifegen3.ver

If someone could please help, I’d be really grateful. Thank you!

Check this:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/Where-can-I-download-OLD-FIRMWARE/td-p/780531/page/2