EX4100 - unable to access both locally and remotely

Hi,

today my EX4100 (24 TB) first started having the following issues:

• not able to access any of the folders (e.g. Public) or “empty folder” message, despite the dashboard telling 400 GB free out of 12 TB (4 bays in RAID 10); system diagnostic ok (discs ok)
  • diagnostics says internet connection working, but as soon as I try doing something requiring internet connection the dashboard goes into loop
  • solid red light on power button.

I tried with different PCs and also connecting the NAS directly to the PC, but NAS was not working as well.

3 out of 4 drives were substituted in the last year, so fail probability is low (all 4 status lights in the front panel are ok).

I already tried soft and hard reset, but nothing changed.

Did someone experienced something similar?

TNX!

A solid red power LED has many meanings, as illustrated in the My Cloud Alert Codes guide. More information is required…

• What is the firmware version?
  • Explain “dashboard goes into loop”?
  • Exactly what “diagnostics” have been tried?
  • Are there any alerts or error messages?
  • What do the dashboard logs say?

Hi Cerberus,

here some answers:

• What is the firmware version? —> it’s the latest available version (Oct 20th, 2023)
  • Explain “dashboard goes into loop”? —> I get the popup “Updating” and then nothing happens forever (e.g. when re-activating Cloud access)
  • Exactly what “diagnostics” have been tried? —> just the standard ones available in the Settings and Storage tabs (i.e. RAID status ok, all disks healthy)
  • Are there any alerts or error messages? —> no alerts, only when I unplug the ethernet connection, but when plugged-in no alerts despite the network is working randomly
  • What do the dashboard logs say? —> I had a look and nothing relevant stroke me

I am thinking of getting a used diskless machine (found something on eBay for 250 EUR) to try to recover the data.

Too vague. What exactly is the firmware version?

So, you are having problems activating cloud access?

Further clarification is needed. Do you mean local network shares?

The firmware version is 5.27.15.

Yes, I cannot reactivate Cloud access after I turned it off looking for root cause of the problem.

Yes I see the local shares, I see also how much space is occupied/free, but as soon as I double click to access one of the shares I get promped “Element non available” (not textually but this is the substance).

The full firmware version number is 5.27.157 and it’s the latest. Confirming the exact firmware version is important because people often insist it’s the latest, when it isn’t.

It sounds like you’re talking about the dashboard. Can you still access shares over the local network?

Honestly, I’m still not entirely certain what “problem” you’re referring to. The devil is in the details, and there simply isn’t much to work with here. Perhaps if you provided screenshots, they might be more helpful.

Screenshot 2023-11-02 alle 09.41.54
translation: “the operation cannot be completed since it is impossible to find the original element “Alberto”” (being "Alberto the name of the shared folder)

this is the loop I meant before

They say a picture speaks a thousand words, and it seems that your last picture showing the LCD display has finally provided the answer to your problem.

• Volume 1 is above 95%

The My Cloud Alert Codes guide clearly states that the power LED will turn solid red when the “Volume Usage is Above 95%”. This is precisely why I asked if there were any alerts or error messages, which should also be displayed on the dashboard under the yellow bell notification button.

Per your screenshots, Volume 1 has 497 GB of free space available, and a total capacity of 11.89 TB or 11890 GB.

• 497 GB / 11890 GB = 0.042
  • 100 - (0.042 * 100) = 95.8% full

In short, you’re running out of drive space, which is also the likely cause of seeing the “Updating…” message overlay for an extended period of time.

The solution is to free some drive space, or the problem will continue to get worse.

2 Likes

the problem is that I don’t actually know how to free some space, since I cannot enter the folders. Ah, btw when I was still able to access I’ve already freed up space, it was worst before…

Anyhow I will try some workaround to free some space

1 Like

It could easily be accomplished by using an SSH connection to manually move files to an attached USB drive. However, some very basic Linux experience is required.

1 Like

ah ok, got it! I will have a look!

in the meanwhile I tried to erase a share via the dashboard but it doesn’t work

Attached external USB drives should be automatically mounted under the following path.

• /mnt/USB/[DEVICE_NAME]

How to Access WD My Cloud Using SSH (Secure Shell)

My Cloud NAS devices don’t react well to being too full, so things may not work properly until more free drive space is made available.