EX2 not showing up as a Network Drive?

How come my EX2 drive is not showing up as a network drive on my computer ?

Welcome to the Community.

How is it being displayed? Is it detected in the Network section of your system?

It’s not detected in the Network section of my system ?

Although I don’t have the EX2 connected to the same machine as my LAN HUB, does that make a difference ?

probably it will help if you tell us how is your LAN configured, what devices do you have and how they are connected.

Other than that, there are a few posts here ( on the 1st page of the forum) to give some troubleshooting steps.

1. can you see the device on you routers DHCP table ?

2. can you ping the device from your PC or router?

3. can you access the dashboard of the NAS?

4. can you acces the shares from explorer with \wdmycloudex2 ( or whatever the name is) or \ip_of_th_nas ?

5. does the WD software help descover it at all ?

I don’t have a router only a DSL modem.  How do I ping the device from my PC, if the PC can’t see the NAS, unless there is something I’m missing ?

I think the NAS EX2 is sleeping, I don’t know how to permentatly disable it from sleep mode, the blue power light continues to fade in and out ?

adicrst wrote:

probably it will help if you tell us how is your LAN configured, what devices do you have and how they are connected.

Other than that, there are a few posts here ( on the 1st page of the forum) to give some troubleshooting steps.

1. can you see the device on you routers DHCP table ?
  1. can you ping the device from your PC or router?
  1. can you access the dashboard of the NAS?
  1. can you acces the shares from explorer with \wdmycloudex2 ( or whatever the name is) or \ip_of_th_nas ?
  1. does the WD software help descover it at all ?

to disable the sleeping mode go to Dashboard> Settings> Drive sleep - slide to off

I’m sure that even the DLS modem has to have a GUI. You need to access the device and see the DHCP table. There you will see the IP for the NAS, if any given.

Now, if you are connected to your DSL ( cable or wifi ) you should be able to communicate with the NAS. Just because the drivers are not showing up, doesn’t mean you can’t PING the NAS. If you can’t ping the device, then either your PC’s firewall is preventing this or the NAS already has a preconfigured IP from another subnet. Ping is working even if the drive is in sleep mode

I would first just connect the NAS directly into the PC and do all the configurations and make sure that everything works like that. Then go to the next step and pulg the NAS into the DSL modem.

Where do you get the dashboard software ? I’ve downloaded & installed the WD Setup software and WD QuickView.

Hi, i am unable to figure it out what is your status on setting up the device if you do not give any feedback, or answer the questions I asked or you do not tell me where you get stucked in the steps i provided.

let’s do a recap:

1. you said you have installed WD Setup software and WD QuickView. After installation, did this softwares connected to the EX2 ?

2. Without using the WD Softwares, you can access the EX2 from your explorer ( IE, Firefox, Chrome) by typing the IP or the name of the ex2 in the address bar like this:

ex:  http://wdmycloudex2 (this is the default name of the device so for the 1st time it should work for everyone) or http://192.168.1.XXX (assuming you know the ip of the nas)

Are you able to connect to the dashboard ?

1. You can access the shared folders from you PC like this:

ex: start> my computer> in the address bar type \wdmycloudex2 or \192.168.1.xxx

Here you will see all the shares and explore all the folders.

Are you able to see the folders ?

you need to ping the device. If you do not know the IP, you can find it like this.

• from you PC go to start>run> trype cmd> in the black window type ping wdmycloudex2

here you will see your EX2 IP

or

1. from you PC (assuming you have a windows PC) go to start>run> trype cmd> in the black window type ipconfig /all

something like this will apear:

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.100(Preferred)
         Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
         Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1       

the default gateway IP is the IP of your DSL Modem.

1. In your Browser type https://192.168.2.1 or whatever you gateway Ip is.

2. enter DSL credential to log in and find the DCHP table. That is where all the IPs from your network are stored

For more details see this EX2 manual http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705119.pdf or the knowledge base http://support.wdc.com/product/kb.asp?groupid=906&lang=en

Let me know where did you get stuck on this steps and what did you do and worked.

The WD My cloud software finds my EX2, lists the IP address for my EX2 but won’t connect, all I get is the error; failed to connect to the device.  I’ve checked in device manager for any standby or sleep options, everything is set to off as I set; as it’s the way I prefer.  There is no option in the WD My cloud software to turn off standby or sleep mode, if it even exists in the software.

Every since installing the device, the power light fades off and on every 4 seconds.  I searched for an answer, nothing, nothing that I didn’t already attempt.

can you post some printscreens ?

also, did you tried to connect the EX2 directly into your PC and see if accessing dashboard or shares work like that ?

have the EX2 ever worked or this is the first time you are setting it up ?

have you tried a factory reset from the button on the back ?

The EX2 is connected directly into the PC, the PC sees the device but I get the error as seen in the screen shot below.  I’ve had the EX2 for only a few days, it is the first time setting up.  I’ll reset the device, in the mean time here are the screen shots in order from what happens first, to what happens last.

The device should connect to the computer, the only thing that is differenent is the network cable is hooked up to a DSL modem and that is connected to another computer, but both computers can talk to each other, as in, sending files between the two from explorer using Windows native network setup.

Yes, this seems strange. I don’t know if the device is out of the box or someone else used it before and it still has the initial configuration.

Let us know the outcome of the reset

It was new, not refurbished.  The reset didn’t solve anything.  :frowning:

can you turn off the firewall and enable network discovery and see if that helps ?

what is network discovery: http://windows.microsoft.com/is-is/windows/what-is-network-discovery#1TC=windows-7

how to enable/disable network discovery:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enable-disable-network-discovery#1TC=windows-7

does the NAS have the same behavior if you connect it to another PC ?

The EX2 is found in my network, there is an IP address but it won’t connect.  The power blue light continously fades in and out.  When I first powered the EX2, the computer found it, even the drive was formatted, since then, and that was three days, almost four days ago including today, all the drive does displays is the power blue light fading in and out as mentioned.  :cry::angry:

I’ve installed so much hardware, and sure I’ve experienced the odd thing, sometimes my fault, sometimes the fault of the manufacturer, wheather it be drivers that needed tweaking and they were tweaked in a matter of up to 48 hrs, most of the time, the hardware worked after following, the very basic instructions that have come with hardware in the past ten to twelve years, with the full manual never printed with the hardware, which is the most crucial manual, instead the “get started quickly guide” but it worked, nonetheless.  

This issue is just odd, I have networking setup and on, yet it’s not working.:angry:

I think you should try an call the WD support. maybe something happend during the formating process.

Unless you have other HDDs on your hands that can be used for testing.

You could try and format the HDDs outside the NAS on your PC.

let us know if any progress was made with customer support.

PS: i wonder what happens if you just hot swap one of the disks and put it back in again …

It formatted, I don’t think the drive is bad, I’m at a loss, I’ll phone support, leave this thread on hold :slight_smile:

Yesterday, I attempted to get the drive to connect, it didn’t connect.  Today I called WD, when on the phone with them for only a minute, the device connected.  WD informed me, if it should happen again, as expected, call back. A glitch possibily, who knows, WD wasn’t able to give an answer, they agreed with mine :slight_smile: