DLNA media serving: Why have all my WD Mycloud external shares disappeared from my smart TV?

I have exactly the same thing. Enough is enough. I redirected WD messages to spam.
Fix it! Do not torment people. We already paid for the equipment that you screw up because of the last update.
This is very, very sad…
Thank you.

Hi - WD support team was in touch with me over mail to help me fix the issue. As there were not able to fix the issue I asked them to help me to revert back to previous fimware. Finally yesterday I got back the previous version of the firmware. It is actually pretty easy.

Very minimal SSH work required.

Here are the instructions:

Download Winscp and install this:  http://winscp.net/eng/download.php 

Then download the following firmware version and unzip the .deb file (File sq-030401-230-20140415.deb.zip)   http://download.wdc.com/nas/sq-030401-230-20140415.deb.zip

You need to “turn on SSH” from Settings > Network in Wd My Cloud web interface.

Now run Winscp program you have installed earlier. In the Login window 

> select “SFTP” in File protocol dropdown

> Enter your My Cloud IP adress in the host name

> The default usename is root and password is welc0me (its the number 0 in welcome and not letter O)

Once you login you will see 2 panes in the window.

Go to the right pane and naviagte to the folder “etc”.

Once in the “etc” folder scroll down to the bottom and you will see a file called “version”.

Double click to ope the file and change the version name to 03.04.01-219 and save the file. 

Thats all the SSH work. Now close and exit Winscp application.

Reboot My Cloud. After it has rebooted go into settings > firmware and click on “select from file”. Naigate to the sq-030401-230-20140415..deb file you have downloaded earlier and update. 

DONE. Now you will be running the previous version. Bye Bye buggy frustating version 4. :smiley:

MKAE SURE TO TURN OFF AUTO UPDATE FIRMWARE.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that PVS0705.

Why WD could not just make that available to everyone at the start you have to wonder.

I got that frustrated that as per my earlier post the one I had has been returned to the supplier and i’m looking for other solutions. It took almost 40 hours to reset to factory settings and that was the last I could take after having it for less than one month.

The rollback solution seems the way to go for now.

BTW I got an email reply thet a mod had escalated my issue, next morning an email from the guy i had been dealing with saying my issue had been replicated and was being referred to the development team. That after 3 weeks of advising the issue, too long for my comfort. 

There it goes my two cents. Maybe is too late, you surely downgraded to 3.x firmware, but this may help other people, and also devs can have a clue on what’s going on.

I had the same problem (files on external USB disk not served by twonky server). In my case I have just one external disk attached, but with two partitions.

Looking at twonky server config file in /CacheVolume/twonkymedia/twonkyserver.ini, I noticed that the partitions on the external harddisk where listed in the rmdrives options, as

rmdrives=/var/media/part1|harddrive,/var/media/part2|harddrive

The partitions are actually mounted at this directories, and in /shares there are soft links pointing at them.

I just wanted ‘part1’ to be shared by the dnla server, so in my case I tried to remove it from the rmdrives option. I did the following:

1. Stop DNLA server using the web interface.
  2. SSH to wd mycloud and edit /CacheVolume/twonkymedia/twonkyserver.ini, removing part1 from the list of ‘rmdrives’, so it looks like rmdrives=/var/media/part2|harddrive
  3. Start DNLA again using the web interface.

And voila! It worked again. The files in /shares/part1 are shared again by twonky server.

Although it works, I have no idea if there are other consequences. I mean:

• What’s the purpose of the ‘rmdrives’ option in the first place?
  • Why twonky makes a distinction between internal and external (removable) disks?
  • Why removable harddrives are not shared? (there is a ‘rmautoshare’ option set to 0. I tried to set it to 1 with no success).