Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares"

Nope. Just reupload rootfs and kernel.
Maybe i make special upgrade file for that (Or .pat file for internal upgrade mehanizm)

Hi Fox_exe,
first of all, thank you very much for all the work you have put into providing the debian images!
I took a look at your clean debian jessie image and it looks to me that you created the rootfs using dist-upgrade from the older version. Is that correct? Did you try creating a fresh jessie rootfs using debootstrap?
Could you post the .config you used to compile your kernel? I just compiled my own based on the sequoia_defconfig, but there’s issues with sysfs and devtmpfs that prevent it from booting. I’m not even sure if sequoia (the makefile default) is the right board config. c2k_nas sounds like it could be correct, too.
Maybe you could enable the /proc/config.gz option (under General Setup->Kernel .config support in menuconfig)
CONFIG_IKCONFIG=m
CONFIG_IKCONFIG_PROC=y
the next time you compile? Then we could see what changes you have made to the original config.

Yep. Its upgrade from Wheezy. And its work good (Need move PFE module from /etc/modules to stand-alone initscript. See /etc/init.d/wd-* files in Jessie image)
About kernel - I have ~20 different configs and don’t remember with what of them i build latest kernel…
About WD configs… hmm… its ugly…

Hello all, thanks for the great effort.

i installed OMV 1.17. i could log in OMV just 1 time, after i rebooted the device , it stopped working. i can see the green light, it seems normal, but i cant reach the gui through explorer or i cant reach my device via ssh. i scanned all ip s inside my network but my device does not get an ip. it was working great after reboot it stopped working.

so i tried recovery method. but i receive an error

TFTP:
Client 192.168.0.2:1025 data\startup.sh, 1 Blocks Served
Client 192.168.0.2:1026 data\recovery , timeout

recovery timeout… how can i solve this ? plz help…

i was on latest FW before i installed OMV

Hello Fox. Very Thank you for the work.
I had already installed clean debian from other site to my Mycloud, and finished setting up for me to work.
But I found that it was old version you uploaded, and the ‘iptables’ doesn’t work because the kernel’s not changed.

I want to use the iptables by updating the kernel, but I also want to keep my settings because it took really long time for setting my own webdav, ftp, ssl…

Is there any way just I can do without changing those things?

Thank you again.

Look in my G.Drive folder - you can find there Kernel v3.2.68
Just unpack modules to /lib/modules and dd kernel to part 5:
dd if=kernel of=/dev/sda5 (On WDMC)

There is a file named uImage. Is this the kernel?
Can I just use this
dd if=uImage of=/dev/sda5 ?

Yes. Double yes :smiley:

Are there some files missiing from the 3.2.68 modules? There are only 3 files but in the 3.2.26 modules folders there are 12 files. Am I downloading the right file, Linux-3.2.68-bin.tar.gz?

Thanks.

3 files? Something wrong.
Linux-3.2.68-bin.tar.gz
uImage and lib (folder) inside.
Install:
tar xvfz Linux-3.2.68-bin.tar.gz -C / dd if=/uImage of=/dev/sda5 rm /uImage

In the modules/3.2.68/ folder, there are only
kernel/ (folder)
build (link)
module.builtin
modules.order
pfe.ko
source (link)

Is this normal? There are more files for 3.2.26 or 3.2.40.
Thanks.

Run this after unzip (after install, but before reboot):
depmod -a -b /lib/modules/3.2.68/
And you got all files, what you need.

I tried the command but returned error. After searching on the net I found the correct command is:
depmod -a 3.2.68

Now I got all the files and the kernel update is successful.
Thank you very much for the help.

Hallo.
Ist es möglich,dass ich auf meine Mycloudmirror 4TB ebenfalls die saubere Debianversion und OMV bekomme?

Translation from google translate:

Hello.
Is it possible that I also get the clean version of Debian and OMV on my My Cloud Mirror 4TB?

Yes, but “Mirror” have different hardware. Need different kernel and (maybe) recompile rootfs.

Unfortunately, I do not know how to edit the files

If somebody borrows me the Mirror, I will prepare alternatives and of it.

Upd:
Added easy method to boot into my Recovery env.
Also added easy method to install DSM to WDMC (Based on new recovery method)

Fox_exe:

I commend you for all your hard work on this. I’ve been following this thread for some time. If I had the extra time I’d give it try. Congrats!!

i tried new DSM. it is working well. TY fox.

Hi Fox_exe,

I tried the new DSM5 installation with the HD taken out and connected to a linux box. The DSM is running well so far.

I remember you metioned the poweroff shall be done through ssh instead of the UI. I tried “poweroff” but it said Unable to execute shutdown: No such file or directory.

Could you please help? Thanks.