Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares"

Not supported as other useful things (Its Barebox BETA. There is no ATA/SATA functions inside. Onli sata / satapart commands from WD)

satapart 0x3008000 4 0x16000 - mean:
Load data from partition 4 to memory at address 0x3008000, lenght: ~16MB
Boot_sata - correct. I use it. We have problem somethere else. Need UART for check bootlog.

Unfortunately I do not have serial cable
is there a way to get bootlog without serial ?

Nope.

So DSM needs a PC to make it boot, right? Can we do that with a Mac or a Linux machine? Or is there a plan to make it boot by itself?

Its can boot standalone.
PC need only for access to Barebox (Bootloader) for change boot_sata script and run my “mini linux” (“Recovery”)

You can run all this in MAC or Linux. Just replace “Dual server”, “TFTP server” and “NPing” to linux/mac versions. Configs and instructions - is same.

Sorry for stupid question, still learning. But to make sure: You can now install DSM without opening up the device right?

Thanks for your reply.
So am I correct to say that if I open the case and connect the drive by sata to a linux box, I can install DSM 5 without using the “Recovery”? Can I just ignore the Step 3 in the How-to?

No, stll need recovery for replace boot_sata script (I cant find way how to access to internal flash with bootloader)
And yes - no need to open device now.

Have you hosted your files elsewhere “Autoinstall.zip” is gone and a couple of other resources ?

Has anyone mirrored it ?

I will , if you need free storage here are some links

Dropbox.com DropBox

https://hubic.com/home/new/?referral=FYPEPQ

https://my.pcloud.com/#page=register&invite=g8ikZmcfEJy#

Dont use direct links to files, because when i update ut - GoogleDrive generate new link for new file and move old file to trash. If i empty my trash, old files will be deleted and old link not works.

You can use direct link to folder: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_6OlQ_H0PxVRXF4aFpYS2dzMEE

Ok thanks , maybe you could update the first post
or even better create a page at http://elinux.org/NAS ?

Anyway I had to use omv-firstaid to change default admin password …

Have you also considered to use BtrFs or kernel is too old ? maybe we could try to port to mainline kernel ?

http://rzr.online.fr/q/barebox

Already compled. But not tested. See in “Development” folder on GDrive.

Debian Jessie available for test.

I tried installing the image for about 10 times now, no luck. Here’s my approach, hopefully someone here has a clue (I have a 4TB WD MyCloud):

I write the full 2tb image (downloaded from a user here on the forums) of wdmycloud to the entire disk:
dd if=/mycloud2tb.img of=/dev/sdc

The strange thing is, is that when I open up gparted, it says for the whole disk: Unallocated space.

But even with the unallocated space notification, when I boot the device, it comes up again and I can enter the hdd with SSH (so the image somehow is working).

I upload the files to the Public folder and start the script install.sh. Everything goes well, script is executed successful and the hdd reboots.

After reboot, white light stays on, nothing happens. No IP address assigned, not accessible via SSH or TFTP.

Fox_exe do you have any idea what is wrong?

Script works, but dont install anything (Just cleanup HDD).
Now - you need open WDMC and repart your hdd (or just reupload rootfs/kernel/config)
Also you can try my “Recovery” package. (Now - its support parted. You can do what you want with HDD w/o opening WDMC)

Thanks for your repsonse.

The problem is that I can’t access the HDD after running the script. It doesn’t have TFTP or SSH access, and when I connect the hdd to my computer with a USB cable and use gparted or parted, again I get the message unallocated space for the whole drive (no partitions are shown either).

I see we don’t need to open the drive now to install DSM, but I assume we’ll still lose any existing files on the data partition is we install?

Also, when you get DSM6 working, do you think it will be a simple upgrade on the MyCloud, or are we likely to have to repartition it all again?

Nope. Just reupload rootfs and kernel.
Maybe i make special upgrade file for that (Or .pat file for internal upgrade mehanizm)

Hi Fox_exe,
first of all, thank you very much for all the work you have put into providing the debian images!
I took a look at your clean debian jessie image and it looks to me that you created the rootfs using dist-upgrade from the older version. Is that correct? Did you try creating a fresh jessie rootfs using debootstrap?
Could you post the .config you used to compile your kernel? I just compiled my own based on the sequoia_defconfig, but there’s issues with sysfs and devtmpfs that prevent it from booting. I’m not even sure if sequoia (the makefile default) is the right board config. c2k_nas sounds like it could be correct, too.
Maybe you could enable the /proc/config.gz option (under General Setup->Kernel .config support in menuconfig)
CONFIG_IKCONFIG=m
CONFIG_IKCONFIG_PROC=y
the next time you compile? Then we could see what changes you have made to the original config.

Yep. Its upgrade from Wheezy. And its work good (Need move PFE module from /etc/modules to stand-alone initscript. See /etc/init.d/wd-* files in Jessie image)
About kernel - I have ~20 different configs and don’t remember with what of them i build latest kernel…
About WD configs… hmm… its ugly…