Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares"

@Fox_exe how is teh DSM development? Is it stable enough to be ran as daily driver? Does Samba speed work ok? I am on the verge of buying a Syno but I wonder if I can still give MyCloud one last shot. Also, out of curiosity, is it “legal” to run the DSM? Is it a build from their opensource code?

Regards

Thank you very much.
Everything went fine.

DSM is stable. ~4 days at maximal usage - still working good.
Samba = ~35MB/s
WebGui = Smooth. No freezes.
Transmission = 6-8MB/s (My maximum of Internet)
FTP = 30-40MB/s

Thank you for your answer. Isn’t Samba speed quite low compared to official firmware? If I recall well, I was copying with about 80-90 MB/s with default OS from WD.

Yeah, samba is slow… But i can fix that (Modified samba sources available at WD website).
Theoretically i can boost it up to 50-60MB/s.

Well, that sound awesome. Probably a 50-60 MB/s is good enough considering the goodies that the DSM brings.

Do you plan to release an updated DSM version in the future, with the samba fixes?
Many thanks.

I tried following your steps to install DSM5. Unfortunately, it doesn’t boot =(
I get the following to lines in cmd at the TFTP step but then just a red light and nothing (no telnet):
Client 192.168.0.3:1025 data\startup.sh, 1 Blocks Served
Client 192.168.0.3:1026 data\boot_sata, 1 Blocks Served

What am I doing wrong?

PS: your work is awesome. It’s the only reason I still got the WD NAS.

Is it possible to install DSM without disassembling the unit? Where did you find the instructions for flashing this way with TFTP?

DMS installation includes TFTP steps to start it, dissasembly is still required.

Yes, it is possible to make everything without opening the device, I now work on it.

Hi all just purchased a new Wd my cloud 2TB whilst I do love the device it’s more limited and wanted to open it up.

I had successfully installed transmission from fox_exe v4 repo fine been using it some weeks but today I tried to install clean Debian and openmediavault. After reboot it’s just stuck on green light and I can’t access it by web Ui.

I’ve tried reset cache etc I did run the fixes and tweaks fine after and can SSH to the box but really unsure as to what to do now?'l! Sorry I’m just getting used to Linux maybe I jumped to fast! Any help appreciated.
Thanks.

I think network settings is wrong.
You can boot from recovery (“TFTP debrick method”) and change it (Or connect HDD to PC).

nano /etc/network/interfaces
# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

or static ip:

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.0.10
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.0.1

If its not help - reupload roofs.img

Omv would be really nice for my nas…Will this also work for Wd Mycloud ex2?

HI Fox,
and Luck with the DSM Installation procedure
I know you are working on a way to do it without opening the Box but is there a way to do it with opening the box for now
any help I can provide
Great work man, i love what you are doing :smile:

Updated Recovery: Now its support Parted! (No need linux for unbrick device!)
But still need a 1GBps lan port in your PC…

Also available DSM 5.2. I fix installation scripts - all works now.
Next my step: Port DSM 6 (When run out from Beta) :smiley:

Hi Fox,
just tried the new ( boot_sata and startup.sh) thanks for your efforts creating them :smile:

Unfortunately it is the same thing for me i was not able to load the DSM5.2
the Myloud started got the DHCP loaded the files from the TFTP the quick green then restart and the loop goes on
I stopped the Ping script and the led turned Red once mycloud restarted

I have tried to troubleshoot where is the Issue but was not able to resolve it Yet here is what i did so far
Step 1
comment the reset command in the startup script
result
the Led turned green for a second then turned red and the box stopped
Step 2
increased the sleep values
result
no effect it seems that sleep command is not supported
My thoughts:
The boot_sata is not written correctly to the “env” maybe it is mounted read-only
Just another thought
if we replaced the original boot_sata with the new one for the DSM5.2 will we be able to restore the original WD firmware and boot it if needed

Script reuploaded. Now - its boot DSM instead of reboot.
boot_sata not used in original firmware (Its run only if no scripts in sda7/8 present)

Still not working for me even after the updated script
It did not reboot as you have loaded the boot_sata instead of reset
But the boot_sata did not boot the kernel and the led stayed Yellow for ever
restarted the box and the led is red again
I made sure that the new boot_sata file is loaded when reboot without the tftp
there is something not working in the boot_sata it is not able to boot the image that is on sda4

P.S: does the drive size make any deference in the boot arguments I am using a test drive it is a SATA 80G drive

You can use any HDD (I test WD Blue 320GB, Sata II).
Maybe boot_sata converted by Google - check it: Has to be: ANSI, Linux line ending (LF) ( its a txt file / script)

the boot_sata is executed successfully when the box loads as I have added a DHCP command to the beginning of the boot_sata and it requests for IP when it loads but it fails to load the Kernel from the drive
I believe the issue is with the sata part

sata
satapart 0x3008000 4 0x16000
sata stop

It does not seem to load the kernel to the memory location 0x3008000

I have tried to format the sda4 to ext2 and put the image file there as and modify the boot_sata to the following but still no luck

sata init
ext2load sata 0:4 0x3008000 uImage
bootm 0x3008000

The only time I managed to load the DSM is when I TFTP the kernel as a uImage but booting from the SATA drive was not at all successful to me