Cause Freezing found! WD, PLEASE PUT THIS SITE BACK ON LINE ASAP!

and how will wirelessly the wdtv see my network windows shares from my pc?if we block the ip?

@fuorigioco1981: If you’re only blocking/redirecting the IP for the www.wdtvlive.com URL, you should not notice any issues connecting to any other network resource.

please help

i have (from the wdtv menu) given each of the 3 wdtv’s i have one ip.192.168.0.5 through 7
i have a DHCP set up in router site fron 192.168.50 through 254 so the 3 wdtv’s ip’s dont conflict with phones,tablets that connect to the DHCP server.
what should i change to the wdtv network settings in order to do what it’s said that causes the problem?

thank you!

If you don’t care about having Internet available to your WD boxes, then just add in 127.0.0.1 as the DNS option on each box and that should be it.

If your router supports DNS host mapping or something similar, place an entry for www.wdtvlive.com that points to a non routable IP (something like 172.16.1.1 for example). Then make sure you set each WD box DNS entry to your router’s IP address. This will allow them to access the Internet but will properly block all access to the wdtvlive website.

If your router does not support DNS mapping, and you need Internet access on the WD boxes, your only real option is to downgrade each one to the previous firmware. Here is the link to forum post on how to do that: Downgrade Firmware from 2.02.32 to 2.01.86

ok but pointing the wdtv to the 127.0.0.1 isnt that that causes the low memory message?
my router is dgn 3500 netgear ,probably has that dns mapping you say but i have no idea how to set it up!

RTFM

As of now i am trying the 127.0.0.1 trick.will let you know how it goes

Surprisingly on every computer I tried the specified website ( http://www.wdtvlive.com/wsapps/appservice.svc/json/browseapp?user_name=wdtv&pid=wdtv&browse_category=ALL&start_index=0&num_request=0&fw_version=1.00.00&mac_addr=x&serial_no=x&location=DE&language=de&app_category=ALL - got it out of my proxylog) my WDTVLive boxes wanted to contact the website showed up without any error message.
If a WDTVLive box want to contact this site a TCP_NEGATIVE_HIT/404 shows up on my proxylog.
So I copied the site to my internal webserver, created the domain wdtvlive.com with the A record www on my internal DNS server which points to my internal webserver. On every bootup the WDTVLive boxes contact my internal webserver and everything is fine for a week now.

1 Like

6 hours now no freeze with 127 trick!

Thank you everyone!! I have downgraded both of my WDTVLive boxes now and I hope that this solves the freezing problem. I had tried about everything and had essentially given up. So much in fact that I just purchased two Roku units to replace them. (Did you hear that WD?!) They are great, but don’t play the variety of video formats that are on my media server. So I am in the process of remuxing/converting them. The WD boxes will likely go on the lesser used TVs in the house.

three wdtv’s 20 hours without freezing with 127 trick!

Worked great thanks

24 HRS and no freezing with 3 wdtv’s with trick 127 ip!

The link is online again. Did anyone try to update to version 2.02.32 ?

well after 36 hours with the 127 dns trick one out of three boxes produced the “low memory” error message!i am expecting the other two boxes to produce the same message in the next hours.■■■■

i am trying now the other trick.i blocked the site that causes the problem all together via my routers menu “block sites”
lets see how it will behave

after 30 minutes despite blocking the sites freezing again!!!

Has anyone tried to replace the power supply which is a 12 volt dc, 1.5 amps.
I did replace it with a 12 volt Dc 2 amps and since 2 days all my problems stopped.
It would be nice to have a reply on that

It seems the link http://www.wdtvlive.com/wsapps/appservice.svc/json/browseapp has been up and running the last few days, my wd box has not frozen the last few days.

when i click the link it prompts me to download .should it be like this?