Can't select my 3.0 USB drive as a Safepoint destination

I have recently purchased the WD My Cloud (3TB) and a 3TB Seagate Backup Plus. I planned to plug the Seagate Backup Plus into My Cloud’s 3.0 USB port and save my Safepoints to it. 

However, on the “Create Safepoint” panel of my WD My Cloud Dashboard, selecting the Seagate Backup Plus doesn’t offer any buttons other than Back and Cancel. 

Please clue me into what I am doing wrong. 

Thanks!

I have the same exact issue with my WD My Cloud 3TB.  I tried to connect to my Seagate portable drive to the USB port at the back of the My Cloud.  The dashboard detected the portable drive.  But when I go create a SafePoint, it just keeps searching for the USB device.  I called the WD tech support this afternoon to figure out what the problem is.  He reset the My cloud, redownloaded the firmware update manually.  Check the file system of my seagate portable.  I was on the phone with the tech for two hours.  And he doesn’t know why it won’t recognize at SafePoint.  So I cannot back up my files in My Cloud using safepoint.

I tried to work around to use the window system backup.  It works but it is just a hassle.

I am not the only one having the problem.  I hope WD will fix it ASAP.  I am thinking to return the My Cloud if the problem will not get resolved soon… 

I am sorry to hear you are having the same problem.  I opened a case with support on Monday but not yet having a response I gave them a call this afternoon.  The My Cloud techs were busy but the support tech I was talking to said they would call me back.   That didn’t happen.   You must have kept them busy :wink:  .   If you discover a solution I would be happy to know.

Since my router is older, I am considering looking for a router with a 3.0 USB port and try running my Seagate Backup Plus disk from there, thinking that it will show as a network drive…  Not sure if this is a good idea as I could just return the thing.   I will hold tight a bit longer.

I just bought it Thursday.  I went through all the setup procedure and when I got to the safepoint, I got stuck “create a safepoint”.  I tried connecting another Seagate portable drive that I have, it did not recognize.  I tried even connecting my flash drive, did not show up either.  hmmm… I think it is the software issue…  

Before I read your post, I thought I received a defective unit.  Maybe it is a software issue…:womanfrustrated:

When I first picked up the My Cloud I plugged in my older Iomega 1TB 2.0 USB to it and was able to start making a Safepoint on it.  However, being 2.0 USB, it was very slow so I decided to get a new 3 TB.  I don’t know if the problem lies with something unique to the Seagate drive or due to it being 3 TB.  

I thought I was the only one with this problem.  I have a My Cloud (3T) and a My Passport (2T), I run the Dashboard software via my desktop using Windows XP (sp 3).  My Cloud never seems to recognize the Passport via the USB3.0 direct connection.  Funny thing is I can access the Passport folders and even copy and migrate files.  I contacted WD and I got the standard answer… is your firmware up to date and reset the system.  Instead I went and purchased another My Cloud and My Passport to rule hardware out.  Exact same problem.  I was about to give up when I decided to use my laptop which is running windows 7.  Eureka, it works!!!  So my guess is its a Windows XP problem w/ the Dashboard software? 

So if you login into your MyCloud via the web interface does the safepoint work?

My desktop to control the My Cloud is also PC running XP as well.  

Correct.  If I log onto MyCloud via the web interface using WINDOWS 7, the safepoint DOES work.  I tested it twice and on 2 completely different MyCloud and My Passport setups.  However, I CANNOT accomplish the same using Windows XP (sp 3).  One thing to also note is that I’m running Internet Explorer v8 w/ XP and Internet Explorere v10 w/ Windows 7.

Thank you for pointing it out.  I will find a window 7 PC to try it out.  I will keep you updated on the result.   Thanks!

I tried on a Win 7 laptop by just opening the browser (IE 10) to the URL of my dash board ( http://192.168.1.107/UI)) but had the same problem.

Get this…  I tried to log in the the dashboard using IE at my XP desktop today and have trouble bringing up the log in page.  So I used the Google Chrome  to log in the dashboard.  It works fine and it recognized my Seagate portable drive right away when I go create the safe point!  Yea!!  So I believe the problem is the Internet Explorer browser to cause the problem.  

John, you should try the Google Chrome browser to see if it works.  

I tried Chrome on Win 7 Enterprise and I still have the same problem. Did you install anything on the computer ? I just used my browser to open up the dashboard.

Try updating the firmware.  Also, make sure the partition is compatible (NTFS, FAT, HFS).  exFAT is not supported.  I just plugged in a 500gb USB3.0 Seagate Expansion and am doing a safepoint right now. No issues so far.

This morning I did update with the latest firmware and verified my 3.0 USB external drive was NTFS however I still suffered the same problem of not having a ‘Next’ button when selecting my external USB drive.   I noticed that the external drive was registering with 0KB available.  That might be part of the problem.  

I was contacted by support (due to my issue opened last week Monday).  We spent about two hours on the phone this evening.  The latest firmware update should have fixed most problems like this but not for me.   One thing I have noticed is that my MyCloud doesn’t survive a reboot from the dashboard.  The unit flashes yellow.  We did a factory resotre and then a quick factory restore (erasing all the data on the drive) and continued to have the same problem.

The conclusion of the support call was a defective unit.  I should be getting a replacement in a few days.  I hope that solves this issue.

Thank you to everyone who provided feedback and suggestions on this thead.

I received my replacement today, plugged everything in, upgraded the firmware, but no joy.  I have the exact same problem.

My understanding is that the latest firmware should fix things for WinXP, but recall that I attempted to run the dashboard from my Win 7 laptop with several browsers (IE 10, Chrome 30, Firefox) without success.

I am trying to think what might else be odd with my setup.   Any chance that use of an older router (LinkSys BEFSR41) may play into it?  Did anyone have to turn on UPnP to get this to work?   Could it be a browser setting or jre version?

I created a new case with support.  Hopefully they will get back to me soon.

I was having the same problem as all of you guys using a brand new Dell Laptop with Windows 7 Pro.  I tried creating a safepoint on my WD MyBook but it would get hung up “searching for attached USB devices”.  I accessed the dashboard on my iPhone and i did not have any problems selecting the USB Device. 

I encourage everybody having the same problem here to attempt to access the dashboard using a different device and see if it works. 

Good Luck!

got same problem with my new 2T and a 1T seagate, does not recongnize the memory available . Also mycloud became unavailable and i have to dissconect it to make it work again.

Any news for WD in this problem?

Aherrer, are they free agents or backup plus?

Check my comments about an issue with device driver in this thread:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/USB-external-drives-showing-0kb/td-p/603957/page/5