Can't select my 3.0 USB drive as a Safepoint destination

‘Any news from WD in this problem?’ …  I received an email on 11/26 stating they are investigating the problem and requested the model number of the Seagate unit.  I provided that on 11/27.  Haven’t heard anything since.   

Just as an aside:  I have been battling another disappointment…  As a workaround I went out and bought a newer router with a 3.0 USB so that I could make safepoints from the MyCloud to my 3TB hanging off the router rather than the MyCloud (my router was due for replacement anyways).  It worked for a few days but stopped working around 11/27 with the following error:

• Your safepoint cannot be updated due to a failed request. Please try again. (36323)

I have searched the community and see that others have this problem too, which is theorized to be due to a bad file name in the MyCloud OS or something.   The only remedy I have seen posted is to do a full factory restore…  

The USB drive and the safepoint mechanisms were the reason I bought the MyCloud.   Man, I hope this stuff gets straightened out.

Same issue here, on my Mac.  It sees the Toshiba drive, can pull data off it and add data to it, but will not let it be used for a safepoint storage device.  

Dude, Thank you so much for this message!!!  I was banging my haed against a wall trying to get this to work on an XP machine. I tried your suggestion on a Windows 7 netbook, AND IT WORKED FLAWLESSLY. WD needs to publish this or fix the dang XP interface.  They probably will not fix as XP is EOL/EOS. But they could have warned us!!! I spent needless hours trying to figure what I was doing wrong. You da man!!

Yes I am officially giving up on this drive.

I started a safepoint 14 1/2 hours ago on 270GB of data, it is still running and dashboard tells me it has backed up 180GB of data in 14 1/2 hours. Additionally, WD Smartware cannot find the drive even though dashboard says everything is OK.

Wish we would have gotten some help here.