Can't access G-RAID from Mac Mojave

I have two G-RAID 2x6TB Thunderbolt 2 drives, one for each of two older Mac Book Pro’s running Mac OS Sierra. When first purchased (less than a year ago) I used the Configurator to set both of them for RAID 1. These drives are used for both Apple Time Machine system backups and for large photo repositories - different directories, same partitions. Both drives worked fine - until I upgraded both Macs to the latest Mac Book Pro’s running Mac OS Mojave. Both drives are connected to the new Macs via Apple branded Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 (aka USB C) adapters and both drives appear on their respective desktops and can be read and written to without apparent error.

However, one of the drives is now displaying a constant red LED indicating (I assume) a failed drive. The Configurator for this drive reports “No device found”. In troubleshooting, I find the Configurator on the other Mac with the “good” drive (white LED) also yields the same “No device found”. I haven’t yet tried accessing the drives via USB (which will obviously also require an adapter).

How do I access these drives to determine whether they are mirrored and how do I fix the “red” drive?

You are very likely using the wrong configurator and that is why it states no device found. You need this one: G-RAID removable with TB Utility

I used the Configurator that was on the drive. It originally allowed me to configure RAID 1.

I’ll pull the one you linked later today and report back.

Jim
(from my iPhone)

Yes, this is the same Configurator and same version I’ve been using. And it still reports “No device found” on both our systems.

FWIW, the “bad” drive, when powered up but laptop shut down, shows solid white LED, goes red when laptop is booted. The LED on the “good” drive is solid white at all times. As noted above, the Configurator reports “No device found” on both systems.

How long are you leaving the software open for when you launch it? It is known to take up to 20-30 seconds in some cases to recognize the device is attached. If you are opening it and closing it as soon as it says no device found that could be the issue as well.

It also is expected to flash red briefly upon boot up of the device as it is doing a health check on the RAID controller.

I would suggest calling in to our support if you are still not getting anywhere with the configurator. 888.426.5214 for US based support.

OK, I left the Configurator open overnight, “No devices found”, but Time Machine backups ran successfully hourly all night so the drives are mounted and working.

To recap, these drives are both described as “G-Technology 0G04093 12TB G-RAID Removable Thunderbolt 2 USB 3.0 - Silver”. And I originally used the Configurator software named “G-RAID with Thunderbolt Configurator”, version 1.1 (52) to configure both of the drives to RAID 1, mirrored. Both drives report 6 TB capacity indicating they are mirrored. However, one of these drives has a failed disk with a red indicator on one and blue on the other disk. The other drive appears to be fine with both disks showing blue LED’s. However, the G-RAID with Thunderbolt Configurator is unable to find either drive for either of two brand new identical Mac Book Pro’s.

What’s next?

The configurator as long as you have the correct one, like you mentioned prior the 1.1(52) should be able to recognize the device with no issue. We have no reported issues of the device not being recognized. Have you tried attaching the device over USB instead just to see if it an issue with TB recognition?

I have resisted changing the connection port from TB2 to USB since I wasn’t certain the hardware based RAID might be port-specific. However, after swapping to USB, I find the G-RAID does appear in the Configurator but when I click on the drive name, it shows Slot 1 is my named drive but Slot 2 reads “empty”. Note that this is only for the drive with both disks blue lighted.

When connected via USB, the drive with one red disk still refuses to appear in the Configurator (shows “No devices found”) but does appear in the drop down menu from the G-Technology Assistant which provides access to information similar to what the Configurator shows. Clicking on the drive name also shows Slot 1 is the named drive and Slot 2 reads “empty”.

Although the information implies mirrored drives (6 TB instead of 12) neither of these interfaces provides information regarding the status of the RAID array. In one case both disks appear to be active. In the other case, one disk is clearly bad since it displays a red LED. Without status confirmation I am concerned as to whether either drive is actually using active RAID 1 mirroring.

Now what?

Your best option is to transfer data off to another device and use the configurator to set the drive back to RAID0 and then back to RAID1 and reformat. This will force them back in sync and not require the process of rebuilding.

If you have access to a computer that isn’t on Mojave just in case there is a incompatibility that you’ve found. We have yet to notice any issues.

Just to be clear… are you suggesting that the “empty” slot 2 indication means we no longer have RAID 1 security on either drive? I thought hardware RAID management would prevent loss of RAID configuration.

We’re talking about copying approximately 2x4 TB of data - not a trivial task and I don’t have 8 TB of spare capacity lying around. Moreover, Configurator on one machine can see the drive, Configurator on the other machine can’t even see the drive.

At the very least, one disk shows a red LED which I assume means it is toast and needs replacement. These drives are both under a year old.

In case it’s not clear, I’m using the term drive to apply to the two 12 TB RAID devices, each drive consisting of two 6 TB removable disks.

Further information: Both workstations are identical Mac Book Pro (15-inch, 2018), 2.9 GHz Intel Core i9, 32 GB RAM, running MacOS 10.14, Mojave. Obviously, we have to use USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 adapters to utilize the Thunderbolt ports on the drives. The adapters are Apple branded.

FWIW, the Apple Disk Utility indicates the G-RAID with Thunderbolt has a Child count of 2. I’m not sure if this indicates the second/mirror drive or if there is another hidden partition on the visible disk. The Child count is the same for both the “good” drive and the “bad” drive.

Should I contact Support for this issue? It seems that at least one of these devices has a failed HD.

I’m having a very similar issue.

My G Raid with T3 isn’t being recognized at all with an Apple T3 > T1 adapter. Worked flawlessly until update to Mojave.

The drive is not recognized at all. Not by DU, or the Configurator.

When plugged in the drive is happily recognized by the OS and the Configurator via USB C > USB 2.0 cable.

Yes Jim I recommend the transfer, also you can use the USB 3 connection. the Type c to A that came with the device. The performance will be identical so you won’t miss out on anything doing it that way. If the system has a red LED it is usually due to a drive being out of sync with the other unit in the RAID1. This can be due to a failed drive, out of sync fluke or controller failure or lack of power.

The easiest one to verify is to make sure that you are using the correct power adapter. for the TB3 equipped units its a 19V 4.72A adapter.

After that then it is going to mean transferring the data off to another location so you can test the other issues. You test them by swapping the drives in the slots and redoing the RAID. Switching to 0 then back to 1. If you are having TB recognition issues on one system and not the other you will want to contact Apple to have them run a diagnostic on your system since the Mojave update or you can attempt to fix it on your own with a SMC and NVRAM reset.