After 40s reset: old users gone, shares are not visible to admin

The users were gone after a 40sec reset (the NAS was not reachable, blinking blue) it first looked that the drive had recovered. I then could not access it from Windows 10, which I found out was because the username/password stored is gone now on the mycloud. Also on the UI the (new?) Admin seems not to be able to have access to the old shares. They are still visible on the network as anonymous shares, and the files.mycloud.com app sees them ok as well. On the admin UI the old shares are grayed out, and there was only one user (admin). I tried to create a new user with the old name and password, but that only created a new share (with lower letters instead of capital). It could not see the old share.
Any ideas how to make the old shares visible again to windows?

What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far? Have you already performed a reboot?

I just tried a reboot. Didn’t help. It looks like the old standard user and the old admin are gone. Look at this screenshot of my central share where admin and konstantin are grayed out. I tried creating a new user with the same name and password, but it looks that got a new internal user ID and is not connected to the previous one. l SSHed as root and I found all the shares as directories but with linux user either root or nobody and group share. I don’t really know if samba users are the same as the system users, and how I could fix the access rights. I do know a little linux, but certainly not enough samba to poke around too much.

Per the WD Knowledgebase article on how to reset a single bay My Cloud (OS3).

How to Reset a My Cloud (single bay) Device

Option A: 4 Second Reset (Reset with Power On)

The 4 Second Reset will reset the following:

• Admin Password (No password by default)
  • Network Mode (Default = DHCP )

Note: The 4 Second Reset will only reset the Admin Password. It will not reset the Admin User Name. In order to reset the Admin User Name perform Option B - the 40 Second Reset outlined below.

Option B: 40 Second Reset (Reset with Power Off)

The 40 Second Reset, also known as System Only Restore, will reset the following:

• Admin User Name (default = “admin”)
  • Admin Password (No password by default)
  • Device Name (default = “WDMyCloud”)
  • SSH (Secure Shell) on Firmware 04.xx.xx-xxx, User Name and Password (default = “root” and “welc0me”)
  • SSH (Secure Shell) on Firmware 2.xx.xxx, User Name and Password (default = “root” no default password, new password enforced)
  • Remove all Users except Admin
  • All Share permissions (default = Public)
  • Automatic Firmware Update (default = off)
  • Network Mode (default = DHCP)
  • Remove all Alerts
  • mycloud.com account association (default = not configured)
  • Mobile app account association (default = not configured)
  • WD Sync association (default = not configured)
  • Backup jobs (default = not configured)
  • Safepoint jobs (default = not configured)

As the above indicates a 40 second reset will remove all user accounts except the admin account. All user Shares (and their data) should remain untouched. The admin account is reset to default which includes changing the admin name (if a user changed it previously) back to default of “admin”.

After performing a reset one may have trouble accessing the My Cloud if they changed the My Cloud name or set a static IP address within the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings section. One will have to change the settings back to the values one was using prior to triggering the reset.

One should be able to recreate the User names in the Users tab and they should be linked (assuming uses uses the exact name) to the Share of the same user name.

Thanks for this, the description is quite exhausting. I had expected the fixed IP would be lost and reset the network settings by hand to the original state. I did recreate the old user Windows 10 used to access the My Cloud. I deleted the first attempt and recreated the user again. It seems the system is changing my first name into lower case to create the username automatically as it also created a share with the lower case username (I deleted that, just in case the system got confused). As the old user share (I never used it really, only the Public share) is written with a capital K, I suspected the old username started with a capital K. You can change the username after creation, and I did put the capital K, but it wouldn’t change the access rights (see screenshot). What is even more troubling, is that the (new) admin has no access rights either.

I solved it by sshing as root and resetting the share user’s password. I must have used another password when I recreated the user. I can now access the Public share again from windows. However on the admin UI the share still shows grayed out users. I may try to add admin to the share users. However, for the moment I am ok I can run my Plex server again from my PC.

Dont you just love technology, and hate it also.
Why, with one (click) by you…or someone else, everything can vanish.
Equate that to real life, imagine one wrong word and suddenly your car, your house, your bank accounts, Everything goes Poof !
A little wake up call for those stiring in their sleep.
Technology (all of it) is like holding out an icicle and hanging a weight on the end…sooner or later its going to break.
Download your consciousness onto technology?
Bubye now…