What is the username after a 40-second reset

I just did a 40-second reset. Went through the process of creating an admin user. Now I cannot log in.

What is the user name? Firstname {space} Lastname? The email address?

Cannot log into what? The Dashboard?

To log into the Dashboard you use the administrator name and its password. The administrator name is generally “admin” unless one has previously changed the administrator name in the Dashboard.

EDIT: The admin name remains admin. I don’t see why they need a human name and an email address to go along with it.

Well, it’s a long story. For some reason, Windows 7 was unable to reattach to the private share I had set up. It worked for weeks, and then stopped working. Now I can only see the public share.

So I did a 40-second reset. That process required me to create a new admin username and password, but the WD web user interface is not very clear. There were four textboxes. The first was read only. The second and third were for firstname and lastname, and the fourth was for email address. So I am not even sure now what the admin username is.

I am trying to log in here in the browser address: http://wdmycloud

Is that the “Dashboard”?

Yes that web address is the My Cloud Dashboard. If a proper 40 second reset has been performed the default admin user name is “admin” and the password is blank. When one looks at Dashboard > Users page the administrator User is denoted by having a green check mark next to the User name.

From the WD Support document on performing a 4 second reset and a 40 second restore. The following is how to perform a 40 second reset and what is reset to default values.

Option B: 40 Second Reset (Reset with Power Off)
The 40 Second Reset, also known as System Only Restore, will reset the following:

• Admin User Name (default = “admin”)
  • Admin Password (No password by default)
  • Device Name (default = “WDMyCloud”)
  • Remove all Users except Admin
  • All Share permissions (default = Public)
  • Automatic Firmware Update (default = off)
  • Network Mode (default = DHCP)
  • Remove all Alerts
  • mycloud.com account association (default = not configured)
  • Mobile app account association (default = not configured)
  • WD Sync association (default = not configured)
  • Backup jobs (default = not configured)
  • Safepoint jobs (default = not configured)

To execute the 40 Second Reset:

• Power down the device and remove the power cord from the device
  • Using a paperclip or narrow tipped pen, press and hold the reset button
  • While continuing to hold the reset button, reconnect the power cord to the device and continue to hold the reset button for at least 40 seconds
  • After releasing the reset button the device will reboot

At that point, you can just hit ‘cancel’, and it will skip past creating an email address. You can set the admin user name later.

If you didn’t know that the MyCloud control panel is called the Dashboard, you probably haven’t read the user manual. Go and download it and give it a read.