Wired network not connecting anymore

Hi

I`ve been using my wd tv live with a wired connection for a few months but today it wouldnt connect for some reason. And for the life of me i cant figure out how to reconnect it. Wireless works ok, but not wired.

Can someone just give me some help with the manual settings (automatic doesnt work), i`m connecting to a 8 port switch box which is connected to the PC.

My ipconfig gives these results for the ethernet ports:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.102.97
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

The ipv4 settings in the network settings are all set to obtain automaticly.

I`ve tried entering the above as a gateway and dns but its not finding my media servers.

Thanks

Pr: 

It appears, too, that your PC is connected by itself and using automatic settings.

If you don’t have a DHCP server on your network (usually a router) then none of that is going to work.

Do you actually have a router connected to that same switch?   Or are you not using the internet at all?

Tony, I have a router on the network but its only connected via wifi , its downstairs and my pc and wdtv live is upstairs which are connected via a switcher.

Thanks

So your PC can’t access the internet?

… or are you saying your PC connects to the router via WiFI *AND* connects to the WDTV via Wire?

Yes the PC connects via a pci wifi card to the router, And its also connected to the switcher via a network cable.

These are my ipconfig results.

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.102
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.102.97
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

I guess you could try setting your WD to address

Subnet mask 255.255.0.0

gateway 169.254.102.97

and see if that works…

1 Like

Great thanks, that worked a treat :slight_smile:

Did not work for me unfortunately… even the manual config fails. Really odd since it worked a week or 2 ago. Could it be broken? Are there logs I could look at?

improman wrote:
Did not work for me unfortunately… even the manual config fails. Really odd since it worked a week or 2 ago. Could it be broken? Are there logs I could look at?

What are your ipconfig results? and what are you entering into the wdtv live settings?

hi im trying to do the same setup, i ran through and set the ipv4 manually and then ran through the wd network setup with the right ip, subnet and gateway as reccomended but when i try to ping the wd and test it, it says “destination host unreachable”.

anyone know the fix for a newb?

open a cmd window and type ipconfig /all
what are the results of the ipv4? Usually the wd tv live will be around that number. for example my ipv4 is 192.168.0.6

and my wd tv live is on 192.168.0.3

i’ve made my computers ipv4 192.168.1.7 and then made the wd 192.168.1.8 with the gateway of my pc, no idea what im doing though =/