Windows 24H2 + WD = blue screens

used registry tweak on 23H2, installed 24H2 and it is still in place and i haven’t GSOD’d today (yet). hope this sticks.

Can confirm that the registry fix stopped the BSOD in my system. (SN770 2tb). This kind of problem should not occur with a company like WD and shows completely lack of close follow up for a system launch (24h2). They should work closely to MS specially if the image is not a preview and is already to the public, regardless if the fix is through a firmware update or a possible Windows update

2 Likes

I’m seeing this when trying to use a new 2tb SN770 as the boot drive in an HP Pavilion desktop PC model TP01-2062, PC tech stats at https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/product-specs/hp-pavilion-desktop-pc-tp01-2000a/model/2100367779?sku=318L4AA. My system also has a GTX 1650 video card, a 2tb SSD drive, and a 6tb WD hard drive.

I duplicated the existing Win11 24H2 install on the internal 512gb NVMe drive onto the new SN770, booted from the SN770, and it worked well for one day. Second day experienced around 6 BSODs, put the 512gb drive back in, and the PC works well again. I don’t know the firmware version of the SN770 because when it’s in an external USB enclosure, the WD dashboard app doesn’t recognize it as a WD drive.

Some questions I have:

1. Do the BSODs only happen if the PC boots from the WD NVMe drive? In other words, can the problem happen if the new WD drive is just a data drive?
  2. Can the BSOD occur if the the WD drive is in an external USB enclosure?
  3. Can the BSOD occur if the WD drive is on a PCIe adapter in the computer?

Thanks!

I may be beating the dead horse here, but BSOD’s can only happen when both of the offender drives (SN770 and 580) are boot drives. However, in my case, SN770 is used as a game drive (i.e. data drive as you’ve called it). See, the problem also exists, albeit in a gentler manner, as only the application in use will crash as soon as the drive stalls during the R/W process. Upon crashing, Windows spews lots of disk event errors, coupled with a large amounts of drive restart requests (volmgr).

Also, to answer the latter questions… I don’t think it matters which interface you decide to use your NVMe through, as I’d wager that the drive will crash regardless due to improper cache allocation. Unless the Host Memory Buffer is disabled for externally connected drives, in which case the drive will not crash.

For my SN770, just setting HMBAllocationPolicy to 0 did not work and still have me BSOD.

But using the settings from @nissel did work!

Thanks a lot!

heads up: MS is aware: Windows 11 24H2 causing BSODs, Microsoft will reportedly halt update for more PCs

1 Like

As I always say… the proof is in the pudding. We’ll have to wait and see what Microsoft has to say about all this.

WIN 11 24H2 LTSC installed and updated 3 days ago in new PC with WD BLACK SN770 WDS100T3X0E (new too, and is the boot drive) and no errors or BSODs… Maybe need more time to fail?

Can you please download and run the “NVME HMB info” from http://vlo.name:3000/ssdtool/ , and provide a screenshot?

Maybe new SN770 has a different HMB table. Or maybe LTSC version of Windows 11 24H2 has a different HMB policy.

If it appears Windows allocates 200MB HMB but no problem for new SN770 model, it means WD should fix the firmware for the old model.

I just purchased a Cyberpower PC, It came with the WD Blue SN 580 NvME 2tb SSD. I have reinstalled win 11 more times then I can count. I used the WD tool, referred by Cyberpower tech. Some have talked about this registry edit line, That’s way above my old man understanding. I looked and the file or folder they mention does not exist, and I am not smart enough to be messing around in the registry. Above LorainLabhart post a wall of code that might as well have been written by aliens for all I understand. My question is why has Western Digital not just put out a fix already? Can you not put out a driver update that fixes this issue? Right now I have a very expensive Paperweight that I am having a hard time not just throwing in the dumpster.

2 Likes

I understand your frustration with the WD Blue SN580 SSD issues. Western Digital may be slow to release fixes due to the complexities of software and hardware interactions. While waiting for an official driver update, I recommend checking for firmware updates and using the WD SSD Dashboard for any insights. Here’s a link to the WD support page where you can find updates and tools: Western Digital Support. If the issues persist, contacting their support may provide more immediate assistance.

I installed Windows 11 IoT LTSC and the BSOD error only occurred after a while. And then usually right after starting Windows, which immediately led to a reboot. After the restart, Windows ran without problems.
I installed the REG file and since then it runs without BOSD errors.

I’m starting to guess why I have no problems with wd, I turned on VMD in the bios, and interaction with the system goes through the RST driver and not the standard one. If so, then the problem is on the MS side. Take a screenshot of the problematic disk, my sn580 has a 200mb cache and Windows allocates 200 MB. Win 24h2 pro.

Mary thank you, Yes the Dashboard was the tool the Cyberpower tech had me download and run, It came back that the drive was working 100% then the computer crashed and the blue screen loop started all over. I guess I will just have to throw this PC away and maybe buy something that does not use a SSD I never had problems with the old Hard Drives. All this new tech is causing more problems then it’s worth, more often then not. But I thank you for your help.

1. Download this registry file: Windows 11 Reg fix for SN770, SN580 (and other) HMB force to 64M · GitHub (right click on raw > save link as)
  2. Find it in your download folder and double click on it, accept the couple of warnings.
  3. Reboot

That should solve the issue whilst MS and/or WD sort it out.

3 Likes

No official word from WD means I am now done with them forever. Will never again purchase WD product or recommend it to others. Having boot loop issues with WD Blue SN580 2TB.

Have now purchased a replacement Samsung NVME drive to replace the WD unit.

Am very unhappy that the WD drive has corrupted my Win11 install to the point I’ll have to start over with a clean install (all my programs, games, etc.)

Do better WD.

3 Likes

Sure, @crian said the error occurred after a while in LTSC. I see I dont have the last firmware update, i’m not gonna update until error occurrs and I’m not going to install your .reg too, in this way I can check if these days the error occurs.

DEV_5017

Seems is available a firmware update, I didnt find the changelog in anywhere. I’m not going to flash the new firmware.

WINVER: 24H2 26100.2033, with all updates available installed.

I have been having this issue with WD Blue SN580 2TB that came in a brand new CyberPower PC which I acquired 2 weeks ago. Until I replaced it with SATA SSD to confirm this was storage related. It was. So replaced it with TeamGroup MP44 - no problems. WD Blue will have to wait until this gets resolved properly

1 Like

Hi guys

I was about to upgrade from 23H2 to 24H2 until I saw this on the news at PC Gamer: As Microsoft rolls out its Windows 11 24H2 update, owners of certain Western Digital SSDs have been greeted with constant Blue Screens of Death | PC Gamer

I have a WD SN740 which looks to be DRAM-less / uses HMB.

Does anyone have any idea whether I am likely to be affected by this issue if I upgrade please?

Many thanks!

I’m running firmware 731120WD on my SN770 and I’ve no issues so far. I’ve had 24H2 installed since the day it a launched and used my PC heavily since then without crashes.

NVME SSD HMB Info is showing HMB size of 200MB.