Windows 24H2 + WD = blue screens

Just for the context if you have 16 GiB of RAM the memory that is used 16/64 = 250 MiB. Strange that it does not allow that, and uses 200… And yes, I knew about it before October, I watched the presentation on Youtube about new things in 24H2.

2 Likes

Just created an account to mention that this fixed it for me. My HMB is set to 64MB and the crashes have fixed. Can’t wait for WD to allow 200MB as initially requested for even better performance.

The drives firmware reports maximum supported is 200MB

Spoke to soon, I use my 2TB SN770 as game storage, updated fortnite and got the error. Drive disconnected from Windows.
Applied @nissel registry patch from github and ordered a Samsung 990 Pro to replace it.

1 Like

The new SN770 firmware (731120WD) doesn’t help at all.

How did I know? Because I tried everything to isolate the problem! Upgrading firmware is one of the things I’ve tried. I also tried to adjust PCIe power settings. None of them worked, until I hit HMB settings.

1 Like

Nice catch! The slides explain.

And to be clear, disabling HMB only affects random write performance. It won’t affect read performance. It won’t write more to SSD, meaning won’t affect the endurance. Normally, people won’t feel the performance hit, since write speed is capped at downloading speed (from Internet).

The only situation that user can feel it, is when moving small files from one SSD to another on the same PC.

P.S. I feel bad for SN580 users. WD advertised 200MB HMB for SN580, and people who bought SN580 thinking they can benefit from 200MB HMB were actually running with only 64MB HMB in 23H2. They didn’t get full performance of the SSD…

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

I’ve been having problems with 24H2 since the Windows Insider preview, I have a 2TB SN770.
I tested it and used NVME in RAID mode for a week on a TUF B550, without any problems or crashes, I just felt the boot was a little slower.

WD SN770 2TB drive with latest firmware.

WD SN770 2TB drive with latest firmware.

(For those uninitiated, this was supposed to be a joke. Awfully timed, I know.)

PC Gamer getting involved: As Microsoft rolls out its Windows 11 24H2 update, owners of certain Western Digital SSDs have been greeted with constant Blue Screens of Death | PC Gamer

Also, Neowin: Registry hack fixes WD SN770, SN580 Windows 11 24H2 blue screens (BSOD) - Neowin

1 Like

Tom’s Hardware: Western Digital NVMe SSD users beware: Windows 11 24H2 is causing BSODs unless you tweak your registry | Tom's Hardware

PC World: Some Western Digital SSDs cause Windows 11 crashes after 2024 update | PCWorld

I even found the PC Gamer article on an MSN repost.

1 Like

Thanks for your support and help :). Do you think the devices that suffered BSODs has been damaged or degraded ? or it’s only windows problem that no affect the lifetime?

SN770 2TB

Well, a week has passed and there’s no urgent hotfix for this from either Windows or WD? Come on, man.

What should I do, buy another SSD and return this one? It’s incredible that I buy everything new to build a system, and every 30 minutes I got it. :melting_face:

I’ve tried the regedit script with the option set to 0, and it’s still happening. With the option set to 2, we’ll see today…

I think it’s unlikely to have damaged the device, but it’s possible some files might have been corrupted.

Doing an windows recovery / reinstallation after this is fixed is probably a good idea. Which was suggested by someone much either in this thread.

Just chiming in as another person with a month old cyberpowerPC running an sn580 and suddenly around October 1st unbeknownst to me the new update houses the sn580 with critical process failed BSoD loop.

Ended up having to reinstall Windows a dozen times on the advice of tech support who actually want to send me another sn580. Somehow they don’t know about this issue even though there are a dozen people on here with new cyberpowerPCs all talking to tech support. Even with PC gamer posting a news article about this issue.

Hoping either WD or Microsoft can come up with a fix. I removed the SSD and don’t want to reinstall it until there is a proper fix.

The issue borked my Win 11 install so bad that recovery or re-install in place… all of that was not possible. Even with the registry “fix” the system is really slow and stuff like DISM and other recovery/fix solutions no longer work.

Really WD? And still no official word?

Forced to buy a new Samsung 990 to replace this WD POS and will have to spend many hours to do a completely clean windows install in the next day or so.

I bit the bullet and bought a new drive (not made by Western Digital :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

Well now I understand why my Surface 7 ARM blewup swapping the drive.

Hello guys, thank you for the fix. My system is no longer crashing. However now all of my apps load really slow now and it takes a while for the computer to recognize my devices on startup. Also can take a while for a video to start on a browser. I’ve tried setting hmd to 0 as well but then the apps don’t even load and my computer freezes. Have any of you guys experienced slowness with this fix? Does reinstalling windows help or will it be the same? I just built my pc so wondering if I should just get another ssd.