Windows 24H2 + WD = blue screens

It’s not really a “fix”. It just allows your computer to not BSOD and run in a really horrible, slow fashion. Reinstalling windows will not fix it. In my case (even with the “fix” which only barely allows my system to run) the operating system is still really screwed up and I’ve got potential (likely) corruption of at least some files.

Perhaps return that POS WD drive and replace it with samsung or another brand. Which is exactly what I’m doing.

Thanks for the answer. I stupidly threw the packaging away though I guess I could try to claim it through warranty but not sure I want to deal with the hassle. I’ll probably go buy a samsung ssd and keep this one for later.

1 Like

That interesting, with the registry tweak my system is stable and has no performance issues either. But clearly everyone’s system is different so your mileage may vary.

It was a clean install and not an upgrade, and I also did a recovery install from windows update after applying the registry patch.

1 Like

I had reinstalled windows for the 3rd time when I finally saw the news article. By that point I had a few crashes again. I did the fix then and also reinstalled the windows update. Still the apps seem quite slow though on certain restarts they might be faster. I checked if the hmb shows as 64 and it does. I’ll grab a kingston 1tb tomorro probably since it doesn’t really matter which nvme you get for gaming but I could try to reinstall windows again on the sn770. Though I’m not sure I want to deal with the ptsd again.

1 Like

Just wanted to say thank you for this fix. I have a WD SN580 and this fixed the issue. I had to reinstall Windows 11 to buy myself enough time to run your file.

Will you be able to help undo the fix once WD/Microsoft fixes the issue on their end?

Thank you so much!

If you look in the first post there is a link to another reg file that removes the 2 entries. You can use that to remove this workaround.

Since the “fix” is kind of a hacky workaround, I wouldn’t be happy staying on it for any length of time without a proper, official patch. In my case, even with the “Fix” the system is still unstable, as the issue corrupted OS files that can now not be repaired.

Sure this whole thing is a mess, this thread is just some users trying to help each other out. Feel free to do whatever you want.

I finally downgraded to version 23h2
No fix has worked

I have 14 stornvme controller errors on my SN770 boot drive over the last 48 hours, with the registry fix. I have somehow not actually seen one happen in person yet despite being on my PC basically all day every day. I’ve come back to a fresh boot only two times which doesn’t make any sense as these errors usually imply a GSOD. Ran SFC and a ‘bthmodem.sys’ driver was apparently corrupt and it was repaired. Probably has nothing to do with anything. Going to try the ‘Fix problems using Windows Update’ thing and see if it does anything. If the errors continue I’ll try disabling HMB instead of the 64MB fix as a last resort before I downgrade back to 23H2. It seems like this issue is getting a lot of media traction so maybe we’ll see a fix sooner rather than later.

My OS was so corrupted, that even with “fix”, SFC, DISM, Reset Windows, “fix with Update” were all irretrievably broken. Hopefully others will have better luck, but it’s worst case scenario for me (i.e. dumping the WD POS, buy a Samsung, then having to spend essentially a whole day or two getting everything set back up again.)

And still no official word from WD.