Windows 10 & WDMyCloud not a happy pairing!

This is really spooky.  A lot of the time access to the WDMC is quite fast.  But if the WDMC server is not access for a while (like 1 or 2 hours) performace drops right into the toilet.  

This is frustrating.  I want to continue to use the WDMC as my data source for MS Excel and MS Outlook and my DLNA database but I don’t think I can wait for a responce from WD.

Is anyone else running Windows 10 with a WDMyCloud?  And what is your experience?

Paul

Morden2004 wrote:

Is anyone else running Windows 10 with a WDMyCloud?  And what is your experience? 

Use the forum search feature and you’ll find several threads (see below) related to Windows 10, including your previous one where you asked that exact same question. I am not having any problems with using the WD My Cloud with Windows 10, others are.

Some of the slowness you see may be related to the hard drive spinning up after going to sleep. When you don’t use the device for a length of time the unit goes into a type of sleep mode. And it could take a second or three to spin up.

Some other recent threads since Windows 10 was officially released:

WDMyCloud (2TB) slow under Windows 10 & some programs can’t access files

Error after upgrading to Windows 10

Windows 10 shares fix

Wd Quick View and Windows 10

Windows 10

Windows 10 and drive mapping

Windows 10 Upgrade Device Manager WD NAS Entry

Bennor wrote:

Morden2004 wrote:

Use the forum search feature and you’ll find several threads (see below) related to Windows 10, including your previous one where you asked that exact same question. I am not having any problems with using the WD My Cloud with Windows 10, others are.

Some of the slowness you see may be related to the hard drive spinning up after going to sleep. When you don’t use the device for a length of time the unit goes into a type of sleep mode. And it could take a second or three to spin up.

Thank you for your reply.  I did in fact search and read [Windows 10] threads, but most of them were pre-release Windows 10 and not relevant.  

I do not have the [sleep mode] set ON so, in theory, the drive is never slowed or stopped.

Paul

Using LAN Speed Test from TotuSoft W10 is actually faster than W7. 

Bill, I tend to agree although I have yet to accurately measure throughput.  I still get periods of absymal performance and I think it has something to do with Windows 10 network & indexing.  For the 90% of the time when all is well, it is very fast.

And I managed to get my Serviio multimedia streaming working successfully with WDMyCloud thanks to help from the Serviio forum.

Paul