Windows 10

Hi

I have a WD 4TB My Cloud which I got about Nov 14. 

I’ve shifted to Windows 10 which went remarkebly simple as an upgrade to existing system (not fresh install). I can see my cloud and the network mapping was retained. All is well…until…later in the day I noticed the MyCloud was making a fairly loud clicking sound. So I switched it off and on again, checked firmware was uptodate and ran a few WD dashboard diagnostics. No issues arising. And the clicking had stopped.

Clicking just started again  - about 2 hrs after I’d booted up my computer. And I’d not used the mycloud drive. I clicked on my shortcut and I can see and move stuff around.

Clicking is not constant but seems intermittent 5 or so clicks then about 20 seconds pause then clicks again.

Its never done this before and with it starting within a few hours of Windows 10 install I can only surmise its connected.

I’ve not changed any power arrangements to rear of desk or to Cloud and its what about 8mths old.

What on earth is it clicking for ?

Generally a loud clicking noise on a hard drive indicates the drive may be failing or about to fail. Not an uncommon problem with hard drives. And is typically not caused by the operating system on a computer. You probably will want to see if see if the clicking noise happens with other devices or computers use the WD My Cloud. If so then its a good indication the drive may be failing. In any event you may want to contact WD Support to further discuss the problem and if the drive is going bad to see if they can replace it under warranty…

That is what I feared. However, something odd and to be blamed from being a little deaf (thanks to Motorhead in 1984) needs to be added.

I switched off my cloud to let it chill and rethink whether it wanted to exist in this house. And the clicking carried on!

Scrabbled under my desk and found it was originating from back of my pc. I have an SSD so it can’t be that almost like it was network card or power supply area (albeit thats quite new of about 2months ago).

Strange as I’d swear that the first clicking (day before last) did come from the MyCloud. Speaking of which I’ve switched it back on, did a reset and can still access all my stuff. The dashboard showing its initalising. No clicking but I can hear the  scratchy whirr of the harddrive working I guess as its initialising still and has been 15mins. Doesn’t usually make that much ‘crackle’ but I never switch it off so wouldn’t know the normal ‘initialising’ sound.   

If so then its a good indication the drive may be failing.

Agreed. In which case, it’s time to make sure backups are available… Don’t overwrite your existing backup, though, as the data on the MyCloud may already be corrupted, or the backup may fail.

well as I said I have an SSD in machine now as my main drive. However the clicking just kicked in again after a lull and I opened up PC and despite the sound coming from various angles I unplugged my back up hard drive (the ex-main drive shifted when SSD went in) and presto  - click free. Seems after being downgraded from main drive , 24hrs of windows 10 and the old chap has decided to give up. Cheers all