Windows 10 notification: WD Smartware Error - backup destination WDMyCloud\WDSync cannot be authenticated. Please verify your logon information

I get this notification in Windows 10 almost every day:

WD Smartware Error - backup destination WDMyCloud\WDSync cannot be authenticated. Please verify your logon information

My WDMycloud is on my home network connected via Cat5 to my wireless router.
WD SmartWare V 2.4.21.1

I have to right click the WD Quick View taskbar icon and select WD smartware
When the GUI opens, I have to be on the home tab. I then click on the WD My Cloud icon.
The file info then reloads.

How can I fix this?

What Share or folder is the Smartware program using on the My Cloud as it’s destination for backups? That error message seems to indicate Smartware is trying to back up to the WDSync Share on the My Cloud. If so perhaps use a different Share, like the default Smartware Share on the My Cloud if not using it already.

Or if backing up to the WDSync Share see if it is set to Private in the My Cloud Dashboard, if so set it to Public and see if the issue continues. In any event if one is using WD Sync and one is trying to use a WD Sync monitored Share on the My Cloud as a backup target/location for Smartware, one may have problems or a conflict between WD Sync and the WD Smartware program.

Edit to add: There is also a much older post of a similar error message (although not the WDSync share/folder name) using Smatware. In that case the suggestion by by another user was to uninstall Smartware, then reinstall it and see if the error message goes away.

WDMyCloud / backup target / WD My Cloud is set to “smartWare”)

Often when the error occurs, the box showing the file sizes will say “login required”. I just click on the box and the issue is resolved.

On the MyCloud dashboard / set up shares / public / share profile / public is “on” – Share access / NFS access is “off”. Should this be on?

image003.jpg

On the MyCloud dashboard / shares / smartware / share profile / public is “on” – Share access / NFS access is “off”. Should this be on?

image004.jpg

I’m sorry but I really don’t know what I’m doing, and the instructions are very confusing for someone not familiar with any of this. There are lot of acronyms and not a lot of explanation in laymen terms. I originally set all of this over 2 years ago following instructions that came with the drive.