Windows 10 not finding network devices; good news!

Everyone has now shown up for the party:

The old ‘44GROVE’ workgroup has not yet been flushed from the tables. Other than that all devices are now being reported. This does not mean, however, that the Windows 10 bug is squashed. Far from it. This is a work-around and some comments in the Windows 10 forum are predicting a long wait for the fix - late Spring even. :rage:

Paul

And yet another solution to the missing [Network] devices. This came from a different problem thread in the Windows 10 Forum. I checked my system and this service is running, but I suspect that in some Windows 10 environemnts this service may not be running.

The solution to the missing computers is as follows:
Enable “function discovery resource publication” service.

1. Press windows key + R to open the run command.
  2. Type services.msc and press enter
  3. Locate “function discovery resource publication” and right click on it.
  4. Select “properties”
  5. Change the startup type to “automatic”.
  6. Click “ok” and close the window.
    I credit Wungraileng Vashi, Microsoft Support Engineer for this solution.
    I performed the above procedure and re-enabled SMB2 & 3. All of my computers are appearing in File Explorer Network. I do not know why Microsoft did not publish the FDRP Service solution for the missing network computers. I do not know if FDRP Service existed prior to the 1511 update or came from one of the subsequent updates. In any case, the service was not running on my PCs.

YMMV

Paul

Its definitely a YMMV. The very next post after that one in that answers.microsoft.com thread indicated it didn’t work for someone else.

On my Win 10 pc that service was running, but set to manual. Note the Lanscan below was done after I uninstalled VirtualBox. After setting “function discovery resource publication” and rebooting Win 10, no change in Lanscan nor is the WD My Cloud found under Computer in Windows File Explorer.

“function discovery resource publication” set to manual:

“function discovery resource publication” set to automatic:

This issue with Windows 10 is definitely more complex than just a few tweaks to the configuration. For some, like me, things return to normal for unknown reasons. For others, like you, no amount of tweaking seem to set things straight. We will just have to wait for the MS fix to appear.

However, tweaking the system just might fix things. :astonished: You never know.

Paul

Today here this morning when I turned on my computer the wdmycloud turned up immediately which it has not did for month. And I have not fiffeld with settings and the like.
On my other three win10 computers, it is shown when I turn the computer on and the boot has finished.

Good news. The last Windows update seems to have had some effect on many Win 10 computers. The ‘official’ fix for the SMB problem has not yet been announced though.

Paul

Hi Paul:

Here is another Scan Result for you.

It found 7 Workgroup members

Two of them were masters. The Router itself, and my MyBookLive. Both seem wierd to me.

Hope that is useful

It’s odd that your network has 2 masters. The recent updates to Windows 10 seems to have fixed most, if not all, of the issues reported for missing NAS device reporting.

Paul

It might be the result of all the changes and power cycling I’ve done to resolve my issues.

I need to figure out how to force windows 10 to update. Hopefully my book live NAS will be ok after that.

I am unable to determine if my WD Smartware is working on my new laptop which had Windows 10 factory installed. Can someone tell me how so I can be sure my files are backing up?

Thanks for informing us here. Post more updates, we’ll surely help us. Thank you. Go2top Windows 10.