Windows 10 network share on WDTV (solved)

Hi Peter,
I have set up the new users , on 2 PC’s as my son and I both have WDTV connected ( 2 boxes) on both our PC’s via wired ethernet also using NETGEAR
I am having trouble finding how to Setup the new Users in WD under Network options , I don’t appear to have an option to do this, any tips to locate this .
Regards
Paul

Paul, do you check the manual ?

http://www.jstv.co.uk/joining/jstvi/manual/WDTV_Live_User's_manual_English.pdf

There you find many pics and the discription how to connect is very good.

WDTV or WDTV Live are simliar, but with different layout, but the way to connect ist similar the same

go to chapter Checking the Network Connection

User Access under WDTV = Select Source, go to Network Share, Select the name of your computer, Logging in to a Network Resource

Note
This access only works if the Network is setup wright, the WDTV is able to see “PC-Name” only if SMBV1 is setup up wright, and new User Account has access to directorys and files…

I dont know your setup at all, so it is difficult to say what is your personal prob.

For people having issues getting their WDTV to connect to a Windows 10 share, here is something I found in another thread. I tried screwing with all those other network settings, but this ended up being the real problem for me…

1. Control Panel → Programs → Turn Windows feature on or off
  2. Expand “SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support”
  3. Check “SMB 1.0/CIFS Server” (all three SMB 1.0 settings are now checked)
  4. Press Ok and let the feature install
  5. Reboot (not sure this is needed)

I now have it working on Windows 10 1709 with firewall enabled, password protected shares, 128 bit security, etc. For me, it really was just this one legacy SMB setting.

2 Likes

i fixed this problem, the problem with windows 10 is that SMB 1.0 is not activate by default…

here how to activate it

Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features on or off > check the box for “SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support”

Hope it help you

1 Like

Start → Run → services.msc → Find “Function Discovery Resource Publication”, double click on it, and set it to Automatic. Click enter, then reboot or right click on it and activate it. You are ready!

thank you that was a great help

Steve, that solved it! It must turn off with major Win10 updates because it’s been working for many months, and now just stopped following an update. Your fix worked. Thanks

keep in mind, SMB1.0 vunerable to exploits (Wannacry Ransomware was the 1st) and is a security risk.

Which is the reason why Mircosoft disable it and use SMB2/3

Hi all, i have WD TV and I am trying to share folder on my PC with windows 10 but still can not share it. I have done. What I have done so far:
1- right click START —> Control Panel —> Network and Sharing Center —> Change advanced sharing settings —> All Networks (drop down arrow) —> Turn off password protected sharing (last one on the bottom) —> close everything.
2 - right click START —> File Explorer —> navigate to the folder you want to share and right click on it —> Properties —> Sharing (tab) —> Share… (NOT Advanced Sharing…) —> in the new opened window there is a large empty box with a drop down option on the right side. Click the arrow and select either Guest, Everyone or both of them —> after each selection click Add —> for Guest and/or Everyone set bellow Read/Write Permission Level (this is very important because WDTV needs to right some media library information inside your shared directory) —> Share
3 - Turn on media streaming
4 -
4.1 - Control Panel → Programs → Turn Windows feature on or off
4.2 - Expand “SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support”
4.3 - Check “SMB 1.0/CIFS Server” (all three SMB 1.0 settings are now checked)
4.4 - Press Ok and let the feature install
4.5 - Reboot (not sure this is needed)
5 - Start → Run → services.msc → Find “Function Discovery Resource Publication”, double click on it, and set it to Automatic. Click enter, then reboot or right click on it and activate it.
And still can not connect to the Share folder!!!
Is there another solution to the problem?

hello guys…
this is my only hope…my WDTV live and Iamm NTR83 can`t access shared drive on my PC!

with XP or Win 7 no problem!

I did EVERYTHING I`ve read here or anywhere else on the internet and still no luck! I don t wanna go back to Win7. I tried 2 different version of Win10. problem still persist. Firewall off = still nothing!

I see my PC but after that no content displayed. maybe another sugggestion…

I found to my amazement that after running Eternal Blues https://omerez.com/eternalblues/ I was able to access files on my WDTV live hub.
It has to be run each time you reboot, but a small inconvenience (for me)

Hi folks, I created an account here as a thanks of sorts for previous advices shared by the community. I was using my WD TV Live to play Local Storage files for the longest time until I tried to access shared drives on my home network recently. No problems with Mac file sharing from my home NAS, but the WD TV Live refused to display the PC shared folders on my Window 10 PC (initially). This is despite other PCs on the same network being able to view/access the shared folders.

Long story short and for those that happen to still need this, you basically just need to setup Windows Network File and Folder Sharing and enable SMB v1 on your Windows PC, while making sure both your PC and WD TV are under the same workgroup. Note that recent Windows 10 update makes this system property change harder to locate. I’m on Windows Version 20H2 and it’s under Settings > System > About > Advanced system settings > Change… > Member of Workgroup

There should be no need to mess with Windows Firewall settings since you’re on your home network and it’s perfectly fine (preferred even) to have your Windows shared folders password protected.
Just a note that it might take a while for Shared Windows folders to show up on your WD TV source options after you’ve made the changes, so reboot all devices and be patient. Cheers.

1 Like

Dear All,
After many years of success and failure with connecting WDTVs to Windows systems, I presently have a stable system, and I have posted a four-page note on the system adjustments, which in my experience are required to achieve this. You may find the note at: http://www.lexnet.eu/law/computer/Note%20on%20connecting%20WDTV%20to%20a%20Windows%2010%20PC-r5.pdf
Kind regards, Peter

1 Like

Thanks for the good sharing, Peter. To be honest, I’m using my WD TV less and less, ever since I hooked up an Intel NUC as a HTPC to my TV (running Kodi), and paired the HTPC with a USB remote. One significant advantage of a HTPC is that I don’t need to worry about codec support like x265, which WD TV cannot play back. I also used to think HTPC UIs were awful, but was pleasantly surprised that Kodi does an excellent job including pulling metadata from online movie and tv databases. Plus Kodi is free to boot. Cheers.

I can’t thank you enough for this! After the latest updates to Windows 10 I was unable to connect my WDTV to my computer. After adjusting some settings I was finally able to see the computer but only the shares on my C drive. My external drives (which contain the bulk of my stuff) wouldn’t work. After setting “‘IRPStackSize” to 30 everything was golden. I haven’t touched that in over 6 years - possibly longer - so I’d forgotten all about it! THANK YOU!!!

Enabling SMB in Windows10 features is the only trick that worked to let the WDTVLIVEHUB show again on my network neighborhood… (i was about to discard it)
I then mapped it to a drive (i.e “Z” or “X” …) to help go to its content if its name is not shown in Windows Explorer.
When it disappeared again the mapped drive shortcut helped … (instead of repeating the same SMB enabling / Disabling again …

1 Like