WDTV & Windows 10 (Build1703)

Dear all,

Like many others I have had problems with disappearing shared drives and odd password requests over the years. I have always been able to resolve the issues by changing the network share settings on the PC UNTIL NOW!!!

Since the above Windows 10 update (1703) my PC is no longer visible from either of my WD Media players. I have tried every solution I can find and am now throwing this to the floor, please help me. Apologies if this is a oft repeated problem, but all the normal fixes seem to not work with this build.

For Info I have a WD TV Live and an old WD Media player that are both attached through a wired network to a Version 4 BT hub and are trying to communicate with a Windows 10 PC with USB attached WD External hard drives.

Thanks in advance

Damian

If you attach the USB drives directly to the WD TV’s do they show up on the media players?

Yes they do. I think its more the PC not being visible to the WDTV that’s the problem. The WDTV is visible to the PC in the network view and the PC is visible to the WDTV in Media Server, just not in Shared folders

After more reading this after noon I am going to try stepping the firmware back, but I have little hope of that being an answer as it has affected both models of WDTV at the same time.

I have discovered its the new Windows Defender Security Centre that is blocking the WDTV from accessing the PC. If you switch that off everything works again. now all I need to find out is how to have security AND media access !!!

I’m having the exact same issue. After upgrading to 1703 my WD TV Live can no longer see the shares on the Windows machine.
Tried your solution, but unfortunately it doesn’t work for me. I completely disabled the Windows Defender Security Centre Service but the WD TV Live is still unable to see any shares. did you do anything else?

Very oddly the fix worked for only about an hour, I was watching a movie and suddenly got the “lost source” prompt up. I have been at work for the last 14 hours and have spent way to much of it looking things up. All I found so far is “Though if you have any issues you might need to go into adapter settings for the network adapter in Windows and make sure that in the IPv4 WINS settings that NETBIOS is either set to default or enabled over TCP/IP”

I spent an hour on chat with Microsoft last night and they seemed to think that they could fix it but it would cost ÂŁ96. For ÂŁ45 I could buy the device below and start using Kodi

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Release-X4-Android-Marshmallow-Amlogic/dp/B01M9FAC3V/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i1?_encoding=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B01M9FAC3V&pd_rd_r=KZSM0CJQ6QMPPBS0WHD0&pd_rd_w=dzrJq&pd_rd_wg=yQSdV&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=1SRWTXXJWM8WHR5C5KD1&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=16f14aeb-bd11-4e9e-8c26-9ca0139074ee&pf_rd_i=desktop

I will keep you updated.

Damian

The HUB could be the problem. I finally figured out that a Hub was my problem of the WDTV seeing a drive on my WDTV. The Win 10 PC with 3TB drive attached and other gadgets. The USB3 drive was shared from Win 10 to network. Other Win 7 could see it and transfer files back and forth, and even play media files on drive thruogh network. WDTV say it but said there was no media.

One day I decided to pull drive usb cord from hub and plug it directly into USB of PC. Then the WDTV saw and played it all. Do this and see if it helps.

It’s an issue with the Master Browser in Win 10 (1703).
I have a virtual machine that has not yet been updated and is still running 1607. I made that machine the Master Browser, rebooted everything and my WD TV Live could see the shares on both machines. After that I switched the Master Browser back to Auto on the 1703 machine, rebooted and the shares were gone.
The problem is already being discussed in TechNet but no solution so far.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/805b8bd1-df7d-4cbd-9a3c-6ae61ba5f2a1/windows-10-1703-update-cifs-smb-samba-network-shares-not-shown-after-update?forum=win10itprogeneral

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1add7d03-2bc0-4d1e-9248-fef090d9ba0e/anyone-else-notice-the-network-issues-with-windows-10-creators-edition?forum=win10itpronetworking

1 Like

Master Browser with Win 7 was discussed a lot here in the past. Until I found I could make my Asus router the MB I had a lot of problems with shares and WDTV. Since the router is on 24/7, there is always an MB on the network and none of the MB issues have ever re-appeared with either Win 7 or 10 computers or WDTV.

I’m having the same problem. Everything was working fine until I install the Windows 10 Creators update (1703) then my WDTV was unable to see any shared folders. The WDTV wouldn’t even see the computer name. I tried everything I could think of and after many hours of research, I reverted back to the previous version of Windows and then I could once again access my shares from my WDTV box. It’s a bug with the Master Browser in the 1703 build. Hopefully Microsoft will release a bug fix soon.

I have managed to cure the error by making my router the master browser. A BT Hub 4 creates a workgroup called HOME as apposed to the windows default WORKGROUP. So all I had to do was change my windows 10 PC’s to the workgroup HOME, restart everything making sure the router was first up and voila!!! all working for now and it has survived several power cuts so its a robust solution.

How do I make my Verizon MI424WR router the master browser?

Rshadd,

Unfortunately I have no idea. I read about making your router the master browser somewhere online and when I investigated my router I couldn’t find a method to configure it. It turned out It was already doing it by default I just needed to have all my devices on the same workgroup to allow the solution to work,

Damian

Looks like the May 9th includes updated code for SMB…I hope it resolves my issues. Wish I knew of a way to test the master browser status without having to install 1703. It the past I’d use BROWSTAT,EXE but that tool doesn’t work in Win10. Guess I could use WireShark.

2017-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4019472)

Addressed additional issues with the Windows Shell, enterprise security, Datacenter Networking, storage networking, Internet Information Services, Active Directory, clustering, Windows Server, the client platform, and Internet Explorer.
Security updates to Windows COM, Windows SMB Server, Windows server, Internet Explorer, and Microsoft Edge.

Try the “lanscan.exe” that’s on this page, it was helpful to me;

I solved this problem as follows:
I shared the WDTV device by plugging in a USB memory stick.
WDTV is the master browser.
Sorry for the bad english

WDTV Live and WDTV Hub need SMBv1 enabled to be working. Microsoft is recommeding to disable SMBv1 due to the recent Wannacry ransomware. When SMBv1 is disabled on any Windows/NAS devices WDTV stops accessing Windows shares. Master Browser is a legacy protocol.

I had to switch to NFS instead of enabling SMBv1

I’m using Windows 1703 and still could access my WDTV. Try my solution here:

Regards,
Ivan

Did not work. Sorry Ivan. All I wish to do is add my support to Damien Vincent’s original post, saying that nothing, absolutely nothing, has been able to restore normal sharing after update 1703. I am very familiar with every normal setting that is required for sharing, but after 1703 none of the regular settings, the whole shebang of them, are able to restore sharing. All I’m able to do is cast to device and nothing else.

Nothing will make my WDTV read my pc. Just the constantly spinning arrow when network source is selected. And that is something I have ALWAYS been able to fix, many times. Funnily enough, usually occurring after Windows updates where sharing settings were negated/lost. Even if I was able to restore sharing, I’m fairly certain I would be unable to share a solution here as I have tried every single thing so far, so if sharing was restored, I bet I would not be able to identify the cause.

My feeling is that 1703 destroyed a necessary Windows service, and that would not be a first for an update to do that. I had that happen on an earlier pc, a few years ago. Even researching the services required for sharing leads to ambiguity (a lack of consistency), because the available information about the services required, even the names of the required services do not match those that are present on my standard 10.2 Windows build. Not good. I still have every faith in WDTV, but not in Windows and its updates. (I can’t even roll back in my case).

So far, Windows updates have cost me a redundant brand new Buffalo Linkstation and a previously fine WDTV. Several hundred pounds of hardware rendered useless.