Network connection

I get connected to the media files in my pc works great for a day or so. But then when I turn the Box on and it gose thru it set up it says  no network connected, so I then have to go thru all the connection to connect to the media files in the PC. works again for a day or so but then loses it again…

any idea how to fix this loss of connection all the time.

I have only had this box 3 weeks and have to reset it every time.

I am running it wireless . would it be more stable if I connect it to my Pc with a data cable ?

this is a real pain trying to fix it all the time.

There are a number of users of both this box and the older SMP version who have problems with windows shares. Including myself. You’ll see a few threads in these forums about that very topic so I suggest you do a little reading :slight_smile:

I will suggest though that when you do get the message that no network is connected you should shut off your media player completely by holding down the off button for 5 seconds until it goes off. (Just pressing the off button only puts it in standby/sleep) When you turn it on again it takes longer to boot up but usually finds your shares again without having to reset etc.

In the 2 weeks since I bought this device, I’ve been a bit busy to use it much.  But now for the second time, I’m unable to access the Windows Shares on my Synology NAS.  Really, I bought this model exclusively for viewing pictures and movies from my NAS as well as for listening to music.  If it can’t reliably do those three things, it’s going back to Best Buy.

Thanks I will try that and see if that works

cheers

So I exchanged my WDTV for a new one of the same model.  And it worked great.  For almost 8 hours.  And now again it won’t connect to the Windows Shares.  I’m soon going to be bailing on this entire experiement.

well nothing still works.

keeps loosing connection with the PC.  Held down off button for 5 seconds as advised, but still the same problem with not recognizing the network (PC files)

So returned it to the Good Guys they said it works I said yes it dose but it don’t recognize the PC network and if I get it connected after a day or so it loose network connection. After a while they agreed to exchange it over.

so hopefully a new one will work.

It might be related to losing power on the WDTV, but still testing. WD tech support is trying to replicate.

WD Tech Support couldn’t replicate my particular problem with network shares.   So,I’ve tinkered some more and it appears that the issue with shares disconnecting after a power failure occurs only if I’m using “My Media Library” functionality.  Here’s a test to try:

Connect one applet using “Windows Network” share and two applets using “My Media Library” as content sources.  Make sure at least two shared folders appear under “Media Library Manager” and have indexed your content.  Then, with the WDTV powered on, pull the power plug, wait 10 seconds, and plug it back in.

Then check to see if you see any problems reconnecting to your content.

well after a lot of time trying to set up media sharing with the PC and WD box I have solve it.

I gave the western Digital box a separate Ip address so it will connect with that Ip address only all the time. and problem solve.

were My ip ended with 120 I made the box 122 (ending)

this worked for me hopefully it works the everyone else who has problems.

Western Digital should have a better problem area for connectivity, this has taken a very long time to fix…

well the WD box has been working fine until past few days… Set up so that it read media and works fine. last for a few days then when you turn it on its asking for a password and when you go thru the process of deleting the words and press remember  then tick ok it kept asking for a password But there is not one. third time left it blank and it worked then I had to reset the media sharing again. It works fine for 2 to 3 days then it plays up again and each time all I do is put blank in for password then go to files click on videos and click options then share it. And that will work for a few days.  I cant work out why its not remembering the settings and I have to reset the sharing part all the time and the password thing is a real pain in the but cos I don’t have a password.

reading on this site and other sites other people seem to have the same problems with the password but cant seem to find anything about the settings being lost all the time.

And yes when turning of I hold the button down as told for 8 to 10 seconds to shut it down properly.

This is a long time bug, will be great if WD make a firmware that fix it, or at last to know they are working on it!

thanks it would be good if they can fix it

Try turning off the Media Library functionality, then clear your Windows Share passwords, then set them up again.  See if it works reliably for a week or so.  Then, for fun, turn on the Media Library again and watch the password problem return…

This is the first time I’m reading about this possibly being connected to the media library.

yep well it did it again sunday I had to put password & user name in as blank it accepted that then I had to reste media libary up again gezz its getting to be bull. wish I never bought it now:confounded:

Gaza1 wrote:

yep well it did it again sunday I had to put password & user name in as blank it accepted that then I had to reste media libary up again gezz its getting to be bull. wish I never bought it now:confounded:

Yeah, i never use it for that reason, is increible that after a month that important bug still unfixed, and without any info from wd, i ask for it to support, and they tell me to disable media library, but player that way is really slow navigating in shared folders.

I told them in July that my problems all seemed tied to the media library. They’ve been silent since.

Its as if they have no idea how to fix it. I had returned 1 to the shop thinking it was faulty part its a problem they know about.

will never recommend this product to any one unless they can fix this problem.

For sure i will do it if i can, but now is too late!, is unuseful at all!, like a brick.

Gaza1 wrote:

Its as if they have no idea how to fix it. I had returned 1 to the shop thinking it was faulty part its a problem they know about.

will never recommend this product to any one unless they can fix this problem.

Hi guys, we have passed this along to support. 

2 Likes