Where does My Cloud Home Sync from Desktop keep original files?

I have successfully synced my OS X Documents file to My Cloud Home and I see them there. I have also made an offline copy available on my desktop. The original folders on my HD appear empty. Has the sync operation moved the files to My Cloud Home or has it simply made them inaccessible from their original locations. Since I am doing this on a MacBook must I use the My Cloud Offline files when I am away from the My Cloud Home drive or will they reappear in their original locations?

The sync feature should not remove the files from the original location. this is a sync so all files should be in both places and any change made to either location should sync to the other location. For example once the documents folder is synced to the MCH if you delete a file from the documents folder it would be removed from the MCH as well.

this feature is explained on page 13 of the UM

Thank you for your reply. I read the manual before I activated Sync to My Cloud. The result was that it moved all of my documents to My Cloud. The folder structure remains in place on the HD on my MacBook but all of them show Zero bytes of content. This is not useful because it tethers me to the My Cloud device. To travel with my laptop I needed to use the Make Available Offline feature to “re-sync” the documents now located on My Cloud Home to a new folder on my desktop so I can access them when I am not within wifi range of the My Cloud Home device. This works but it is not well explained in the manual nor does it make a lot of sense. The My Cloud Offline Files folder is just a duplicate of my original Documents folder. Perhaps it works as you describe on Windows, but it does not appear to do so on a Mac.

I am using it on a mac as well and don’t have the same issue. I would copy the data back to may mac and then unsync the folder. restart the computer and my cloud then log back in to both and re sync the folders. If the issue happens again i would suggest contacting wd support directly and see if they have seen the issue.

I took your advice and it appears to have worked. Files are now on both locations.