What the next WD NAS drive software update needs

For the next update can we please have the following:

• The ability to connect the NAS drive directly to our computer in case this issue happens again
  • The ability to press reset on the NAS to enable home/local access without the need to have the WD system running (this alone would be helpful right about now)
  • A step by step guide on how to use a 3rd party to allow remote access to the NAS drive onces WD stops supporting the old generation of NAS.
  • Maybe a replacement case so that we can move our drives from the NAS into a 3.5 drive case so we can hook it up directly to the computer if the top request doesn’t work.
  • Create a how to video to guide people into how to enable local access for all NAS drives that will be unsupported.

Anyone with other suggestions/ideas please add them below

You can use WD NAS within your local network regardless of WD. What it’s currently down is the remote service ONLY. You can access your files within your LAN using Windows or your Android phone or your iPhone without using the app from WD.-

1 Like

Your post would be more appropriate in the correct subforum:

OS5 Product Ideas
https://community.wd.com/c/os5/my-cloud-os5-product-ideas/258

You can do that already with the My Cloud line of devices. Just connect the Ethernet wire from the My Cloud direct to a computer’s Ethernet networking port. What you cannot do is use the USB port to connect a My Cloud to a computer using USB. The My Cloud units are NAS (network attached storage) devices. The My Cloud is always accessible on your local network with or without the WD Mycloud.com web portal or the OS5 My Cloud mobile app when your My Cloud is connected to your local network router/gateway. One uses Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder for local network access to their My Cloud, or one uses a file manager app (free or paid) on their mobile device to access a local network My Cloud.

Access My Cloud When Connected Directly to a Computer
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/16312

WD already has several videos on how to use the My Cloud:

As to wanting a replacement case to convert an NAS to a USB hard drive. Never going to happen. One can buy, for relatively low cost, a SATA to USB adapter or docking station and one can follow various online guides/videos to remove (shuck) a hard drive from a My Cloud enclosure.

You don’t need to connect it directly to your pc either. Just access the files within your LAN

1 Like

Correct, as my reply to Jay1 indicated…

The My Cloud units are NAS (network attached storage) devices. The My Cloud is always accessible on your local network with or without the WD Mycloud.com web portal or the OS5 My Cloud mobile app when your My Cloud is connected to your local network router/gateway. One uses Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder for local network access to their My Cloud, or one uses a file manager app (free or paid) on their mobile device to access a local network My Cloud.

New features?
What new features have been added to OS/5 in the last two years?

I just learned of the outage a few minutes ago - - - - this has been going on for 3 days? Wow. Most really be broken.

3 day outage while bad is not the worst WD has experienced for the My Cloud. A year or two ago there was a multi week outage with the WD remote access.

Really though, anyone who is using the My Cloud for mission critical use or where business customers are to have access, they should have setup alternate methods of remote access and not rely solely on a single point failure of the WD’s mycloud.com web portal and the OS5 My Cloud mobile apps. One should also be backing up their My Cloud as well but that’s a different discussion.

Worth quoting.

Even WD doesn’t advertise their services as “Enterprise class”.
In reality; no single method is 100% secure. For mission critical; a combination of Cloud and Local storage is the way to go. (by local: I mean in data on a drive sitting on your desk).

I wasn’t aware there are any other options(?)

There are remote access options that don’t involve WD. All of them require some extra work by the My Cloud owner. VPN, insecure FTP, etc.

Some are apparently using Goodsync with their My Cloud to get or sync files in order to bypass the WD back end servers being hacked.

Right know I’m using GoodSync to access files remotely but the free version only allows you to read files, not upload.

I have an ASUS router so I should research how to configure OpenVPN which is included in the router to access WDMyCloud