Wd my cloud

Hi
I have a my cloud that is now not supported and a sea gate that I had plugged into the my cloud.
Can I used thes drives in a new enclosure and if so what would you suggest please?

The OS3 My Cloud devices will continue to work for local network access. One can continue to use Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder or a third party file manager app for their mobile device to access their local network My Cloud.

My Cloud OS3 End of Service|
https://www.westerndigital.com/support/software/my-cloud-os/os3/os3-eos

Q: Will my device stop working if I can’t upgrade to My Cloud OS 5? Will I lose access to my data?
A: After the services are shut down, you can only access the device on a local network. Access through the My Cloud OS 3 mobile app or web app won’t work. Email notifications won’t be delivered. Devices that had auto-update enabled received a final firmware update that disabled remote access and outbound traffic to cloud services. Now, support has ended and you have to use your local network to access your device.

There are a number of “diskless” NAS storage devices, from WD, Synology, QNAP and others you can buy that you can put the hard drives into . You will generally be required to reformat those drives so you will loose any data that currently exists on them. Or you can build your own NAS following any of the many DIY blog posts out there that one can find using their favorite internet search engine. It generally comes down to what you want/need and how much you can afford to spend.

At the NAS low end, WD has a diskless OS5 supported EX2 Ultra enclosure one can buy. There are similar lower cost multi drive diskless enclosures from Synology and QNAP as well.

Note: Because the drives are of different capacities (2TB and 1TB) you may be limited to how you can configure those drives (JOBD or RAID level setting) in a new network attached storage (NAS) enclosure.

Or you can buy a multi disk USB to SATA docking station (example: https://www.amazon.com/usb-sata-dock/s?k=usb+sata+dock) and connect those drives directly to a computer and use them as separate external USB hard drives.

#WDUserRewards

Hi
Thank you for the reply

Is there anyway to remove the wd software and install a third party to continue remove access, I will see if I can connect to the disc via my computer as I can’t from my phone , I have downloaded fe file manager but it states access denied

Regards

Peter Renton

Hi
I have tried to connect to wd via my computer, it sees the drive but I can’t open any files ?

Regards

Peter Renton

What specific error message are you receiving when attempting to access the local network My Cloud with your computer’s Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder?

If one wants to regain remote access to their OS3 My Cloud they have a few options. None of them will be a 100% replacement for the WD supported OS3 remote access options. One can use FTP for remote access. FTP is however not secure method of remote access. One would enable FTP in the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings > Network section then enable port forwarding of the FTP port in their router/gateway to forward FTP to the My Cloud. Or one can setup a VPN server on their network and use VPN to securely access their local network (and their My Cloud) from a remote location.

There are past discussions on trying to install alternate firmware to the My Cloud. one will still face similar issues (limited methods of remote access) with that alternative firmware/operating systems when it comes to remote access. There is much discussion on alternate firmware on a single bay My Cloud in the following discussion thread:

https://community.wd.com/t/clean-os-debian-openmediavault-and-other-firmwares/93714/

Ultimately if one wants a simplistic method of remote access similar to what they had prior to WD terminating OS3 support then one may want to consider buying a newer network attached storage device that still has working remote access. Or one can spend the time trying to get VPN working to access their current My Cloud device. Or one can build their own network attached storage device, one that includes secure remote access options. There are various DIY guides one can search for on the internet for building their own network attached storage server.

#WDUserRewards

Once again thank you, I will look at a new system, I just don’t want to be in the same situation in ; years time if the plug is pulled again!

Regards

Peter Renton