Connect MyCloud to Mac Directly?

I am looking to get my data off my MyCloud device running OS3. As best as I can tell the device will no longer be supported, and truth be told I have had issues since I bought it many years ago, so once I can get the files off of it I have no problem discarding the drive.

I would love to find a way to directly transfer files. I have tried connecting ethernet direct to my Macbook (with usb-c adapter as the Mac has no ethernet port), and restarted the Mac, and also did a reset of the MyCloud. The light on the MyCloud is steady blue, and the drive shows up in Finder but won’t connect.

I had the drive connected to my router, and was able to access the dashboard, but couldn’t connect to see any files. I don’t know how I could access the dashboard but not the files, but that is where I’m at.

Yesterday I was able to see the files, but it wouldn’t transfer anything - just hung there as I tried to download files, which was a slow and inefficient way to transfer the files.

WD support wasn’t much help, and before I try them again I thought I’d ask here.

The OS3 My Cloud devices will continue to operate for local network access. WD is terminating remote access support using MyCloud.com and the OS3 mobile apps for iOS and Android under OS3 firmware.

Support for your My Cloud and WD Cloud device is changing
https://www.westerndigital.com/mycloudupdates

Q: Will my device stop working if I can’t upgrade to My Cloud OS 5? Will I lose access to my data?
A: Once the services have been shut down, you will still be able to access the device on a local network. However, access through the My Cloud OS 3 mobile app or web app will not be possible. Email notifications also won’t be delivered. Devices that have auto-update enabled will receive a final firmware update to disable remote access and outbound traffic to cloud services. Then, support will end and you’ll have to use the local network to access the device.

You cannot connect the USB port on a My Cloud to a computer to transfer data. If one would like to directly connect a My Cloud to their computer using the My Cloud’s Ethernet port/cable one can do so. If one’s computer does not have a Ethernet port, one can buy a USB to Ethernet adapter (or if desktop a Ethernet networking card) for their computer. See the following WD Knowledgebase Article for more information.

How to Access a My Cloud When Connected Directly to a Computer
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16312

Since the device rarely worked for local access through my network the fact that it still should work that way doesn’t help me. I have connected via ethernet following the recommended steps and still no connectivity.