WDTV randomly freezes during movie. HELP!

WDTV packaging claims to support such file formats as AVI & MKV; and I guess that’s true as a broad-brush statement. The truth is WDTV player randomly freezes mid-movie (720p/1080p, AVI/MKV) experience and a message appears stating the external hard-drive has been disconnected from WDTV device network. YES, that’s correct; the device actually does this all by itself randomly whilst the viewer is enjoying a movie experience. The only way to finish watching a movie is to pull the power to the device, restart and fast-forward to where the movie froze and continue watching. There seems to be unresolved software issues. Today I purchased and unboxed my second WDTV media player, I immediately updated the firmware on my NEW WDTV device and crossed my fingers as I commenced watching a movie; I hoped that my first WDTV player was a lemon and the NEW WDTV would work properly and not freeze; NO SUCH LUCK. I’ve since read several WD forums and found that many users are experiencing the same issue with their WDTV device; it seems to be a common longstanding software problem that WD Support is clearly incapable of resolving. It’s very unfortunate that Western Digital can’t resolve such a simple problem.

It does support avi and mkv but these are just containers and it may be that it has some problems with the video / audios codecs within them or the way they are encoded.

Hmmm. having problems with the video / audio codecs and not being able to play certain “problem” files is a totally different issue separate and aside from WDTV device ejecting HDD and requiring a power-pull to operate.  Still sounds like WD software to me…

notabene wrote:

It’s very unfortunate that Western Digital can’t resolve such a simple problem.

As simple as posting in the right forum? Apparently this is the well-known bug that has nothing to do with AVIs/MKVs but with USB3 HDDs and the back port. It’s supposed to be fixed in the upcoming firmware.

Thanks Techflaws for the great info; very appreciated.  With the knowledge that WD has been aware of this problem since Dec 2011, it is now completely obvious that WD MAY NEVER HAVE A FIX TO THIS PROBLEM.  You ask why… because a firmware fix will NEVER resolve a hardware problem.

WD SUPPORT responded to my post from yesterday and recommended the solution was to “reset the factory default and if that doesn’t work, please rollback to the previous version of the Firmware. Make sure once you do the rollback, to update it to the last version again.” All of which have been performed… and guess what? IT DIDN’T WORK!!!

WD’S reputation window is about to close on this longstanding issue… My fix is a simple refund. 

notabene wrote:
You ask why… because a firmware fix will NEVER resolve a hardware problem.

Is that so? The latest beta firmware I’ve been testing without any disconnects begs to differ.

Would that be the same “beta firmware fix” you’ve been testing since Dec 2011?  :flushed: Conversely, if you are successful with your “fix” then WD makes a good product soon to be a great product.  Still waiting…

Nope, it’s the beta firmware that will become the official firmware once WD decides to release it.