WDTV Live HD Player Continuously Freezes

My WDTV Live HD player is continuously freezing on me of late.  There doesn’t appear to be any rhyme or reason to the issues;  they happen on any and all files on the hard drive, the freezes can happen at any time (EG: 3 times within 30 minutes, or once in 2 hours etc) and the only fix is to unplug the device and plug it in again, only for this to happen all over again.

I’ve read many topics on the above subject, but every one seems ever so slightly different to the issues I’m experiencing.

I’ve had my WDTV Live HD box since around December, and I’ve always experienced moments of freezing with the box.  They’ve always been few and far between though, and updating firmware usually fixes them and they haven’t bothered me.

Lately however it’s just getting worse and worse, to the point now where I can barely play a 20 minute episode of something without the box completely freezing on me.

My WDTV is updated to the very latest Firmware (I checked last week and there isn’t an update to what I have) and the device isn’t networked at all (I only network it when I want to update it).  I have the HD (2TB) powered with it’s own power source, and this is connected via USB into the WDTV.  This is then connected via HDMI to my TV.  As mentioned, the device freezes regardless of the file / file type being played and the amount of time the device is powered on for seems to also have no relation to the issues.  I also don’t believe the Firmware to be the issue, because it worked fine for at least a month after I updated before the freezes occur.  The device can then function great for say a week with no freezes, before it all happens again.

I read somewhere that deleting the .wd_tv folder can help rectify issues, but trying this didn’t seem to make any odds whatsoever.

I’m not sure what else to do here so, short of contacting WD and finding out how to get a refund for my faulty device, I thought I’d try the forums first to see if anyone can think of something that may be causing this to freeze on me.

hi there

• pls try those  :

* press situated aside a small whole [shortly] to return to default  [to restore]

* check connection

* check if you allow [or not  ] indexing [ media check on your discs that are linked - this process might take anormous amount of time - to goal is “untick” this option 

* unplugg power cable for a while and plug in again [naturally let the blinking signal/lamp off befoer you navigate to check/watch movie]

• and I assume that you are playing your video stuff using “Video” icone ?

regards

pawson

Thank you very much for your response:

* press situated aside a small whole [shortly] to return to default  [to restore]

I haven’t tried this yet, but I shall do.

check connection*

The connection is defenately fine.  So is the hard drive, as I have currently began using my PS3 to stream now and haven’t had any freezes or hicups at all.

check if you allow [or not  ] indexing [ media check on your discs that are linked - this process might take anormous amount of time - to goal is “untick” this option*

I have tried with this option both on and off, and still the freezes occur.

unplugg power cable for a while and plug in again [naturally let the blinking signal/lamp off befoer you navigate to check/watch movie]*

This certainly doesn’t resolve my issues unfortunately;  I have to do this each and every time something freezes, otherwise I cannot use my WD box again.  I have even had this unplugged overnight, and still the freezes begin again the next day.

- and I assume that you are playing your video stuff using “Video” icone ?

Absolutely, yes.

Is it possible that your WDTV is overheating? Mine freezes when it has been on for a long time, and I have suspected it is overheating.

Try moving it to a cooler location with better ventilation. Also, try turning it on it’s side; but make sure that the bottom vents are not blocked in this orientation.

NO, the WD TV LIVE firmware freezes after a few hours. The new firmware locks up if you let the device sit in on connected to a network source after about 3 hours. You have to turn it off if you aren’t using it or it will freeze up and you will have to power cycle the unit to get it back

I guess overheating is a possibility, and I would be inclined to say that’s the answer except for the fact that it can freeze within the first 10 minutes of powering on.  I will try moving it elsewhere however and see if this remedies the problem.  Turning it on it’s side is likely going to make it worse however, as there are no vents on the top or bottom;  they are on either side.

It’s not a network issue whatsoever because, as mentioned above, it’s not connected to a network at any point other than the rare occasions I update the firmware.  The rest of the time, it’s not connected to a network or the internet. 

Turning it on it’s side creates a chimney effect and provides increased ventilation. Of course, if it’s not a heat issue it won’t help.

Well I will give that a go as well.

A litte update;   I just finished watching two 20 minute episodes through the box before it froze, but the way it did it this time was rather weird.  Near the end of the second episode I went to pause the device, but the remote wouldn’t function in any way at all, despite the episode still playing.  Then, when the episode finished the screen went black and never went back to the menu, all the while with the remote still not working.

I’m starting to think I should just send it back to WD before my warrenty expires in December.  The box sounds faulty to me. 

Putting it on it’s side made no difference unfortunately, and also a factory reset has not helped - this time it froze when it was on the screen saver.

Lots of fun I’m having - I wish now I’d just spent a little more and bought the Boxee one I was first looking at, or perhaps the Sony one.  Meh!