Intention to finalize a rear USB port issue (drives USB 3.0)

It has been repeatedly written here since Dec 2011 that the SMP is experiencing problems with external HDDs USB3.0, connected to the rear port. Some customers stated that they have it working correctly, some, as opposed, reported about the problems.
Let me briefly remind you about the problem.  Attempting to play back the HD files 720p and 1080p from the external HDD USB3.0, connected to the rear port, results in  video freezing  and after 20-30 seconds a message like  “The disc was removed …” appears on the display.  Then a player reboot is required including disconnection and further reconnection of the drive. All available firmwares from 1.4 to 1.7. have been tried by me.
On the contrary, when the external hard drive was connected to the front port, no effects, described above, have been observed.
This problem has been described in details here
http://community.wdc.com/t5/ideas/v1/ideapage/blog-id/streaming_issues/article-id/1751/
I purchased my player in Europe. The model of my player is P/N: WDBGXT0000NBK-01. A friend of mine ordered a player from the American Amazon. Model of his player is P/N: WDBHG70000NBK-01.  Both of these units do experience the described above problems with the rear port.
What is in common in these two units is that they both have their model number ending with “01”.
From the forum community communication I found out, that the model P/N: WDBHG70000NBK-00, i.e. ending with “00”, does not have any such problem with the rear USB port.
I do suspect that there may be a difference in the schematic design between models ending with “01” and “00”(revision “01” and “00”).
That’s why I would like to finally find out: are my assumptions correct or not. Kindly awaiting your assistance. If you could please indicate the model number (regarding the revisions: “00” or “01”) in your responds. I will certainly appreciate it.

Number of the model and revision is located at the bottom of the device.

Click the Kudos star of mine issue reporting. This may help to accelerate it solution.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/SMP-refuses-to-play-1080p-files-from-the-HDD-USB-3-0-connected/idi-p/377519

Kind regards

14 Likes

My player is a week old, and i have this issue with backside USB port out of box when attached my WD HDD USB 3.0

In the 1st hour i thinked that my player is entirerly broken, until at some point decide to try the front USB port,

from where most of parts start works normally.

Model of my player is: 

WDBGXT0000NBK-01

European version, purchaced and is in use in Europe.

1 Like

I think (not positive) what happened is when the first models were released they were manufactured by a smaller company and after that fist run and bigger manufacture was used and probably had different parts that can be used for the same boxes.

the only way to know for sure is for both units (-00 & -01) to be opened and have all the parts checked to see which are different.

I believe that’s the only way this bug will ever get fixed as a FW update will probably never fix a faulty hardware part.

Dunno, but let don’t rush with such conclusion and wait for official WD answer instead.

Since the backside USB port can works fine with USB 2.0 storages instead,

mean its not really broken and eventually perhaps can be fixed with firmware update to be compatible with USB 3.0 storages too.

I hope this issue will be resolved firmware update.

I assume that WD could not have suspected the existence of a bug in the firmware and not begin an investigation because that of an earlier revision of the player does not have any issues with HDD. And only in later revision of the player begins has a malfunction related to HDD USB 3.0 .
It really seems strange, if not to know that there are two different Streaming Media Player models.
Also strange that WD is not aware of the existence of two different models of Streaming Media Player.   

this issue is already reported right?

zebra9 wrote:

this issue is already reported right?

What do you mean?

if the issue is reported to WD in " WD TV Live Streaming Issue Reporting" area

zebra9 wrote:

if the issue is reported to WD in " WD TV Live Streaming Issue Reporting" area

Yes.You already wrote in my Issue Reporting.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/SMP-refuses-to-play-1080p-files-from-the-HDD-USB-3-0-connected/idi-p/377519

Other issue reports

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/Loses-connection-to-USB-HDD/idc-p/368213#M1577

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/Hard-Drive-Quits-Like-it-Gets-an-Eject-Signal/idc-p/368209#M1576

Аhа…

And does WD staffs reply with somehing related to this yet…?

Dunno what can be done, except to wait

zebra9 wrote:

Аhа…

And does WD staffs reply with somehing related to this yet…?

Dunno what can be done, except to wait

Once received a response. You can read here

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Firmware/I-m-Returning-my-WD-TV-Live-Thanks-To-All-The-Bugs-in-Recent/m-p/388357#M1245

Interestingly, the firmware is tested on two revisions to the player or the one?

I have the same problem.  I bought my SMP in Germany and my P/N is: WDBGXT0000NBK-01

1 Like

I have similar problems. My mediaplayer ends with 01 and was bought in the Netherlands.

1 Like

I believe WD is in no hurry to solve this issue because the prices for most of HDDs have risen up in autumn 2011; therefore not many customers managed to purchase HDDs with USB3.0.

Just thinking out loud here, forgive my ignorance. Do the problems happen with both 2.5 and 3.5 USB drives? Because I’ve had problems with bus-powered 2.5 USB 3.0 drives, namely Seagate, which were resolved by using an external 12v power adapter or a 3.5 drive (which are always externally powered anyway). Could it be that the back usb port doesn’t deliver enough power to the drive?

1 Like

Mine is 3.5 , and its powered by separated adapter.

So this is not issue.

1 Like

hp9000 wrote:

Do the problems happen with both 2.5 and 3.5 USB drives?

I have a drive 2,5" WD 750GB NTFS USB 3.0 (WDBPCK7500ABK-EESN)
Many have written about other drives here:
http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/are-the-usb-ports-different/td-p/319299

Hi, I have recently purchased WD TV Live Streaming Player and I’m experiencing exactly the similar problems with the rear USB port.
HDD USB 3.0 Transcend 750 GB
SMP P/N:WDBHG70000NBK-01

1 Like

My problem was a little different than yours since I went through 3 different players and none of them worked with the USB 3.0 plugged into the rear port, but the front port worked fine.

The part number on mine is P/N: WDBHG70000NBK-01

Since I didn’t want the plug in the front port I have the drive plugged into a server instead and I just stream over the network.

Edited to add:  When I reported this as an Issue, WD moved it out of the Issue thread.  They said the issue thread was only for software issues, not hardware ones.

1 Like