WDTV Live SMP + Synology NAS = No network shares

Hi guys

Im hoping you can help me,  My 2 WDTV’s were working fine 2 weeks ago seeing my Synology NAS as a network share, then all of a sudden I can’t see my NAS as network share on either of the WDTV’s. MY Laptop can still see my NAS where all my movies are stored.  The WDTV’s can see the NAS as a media server which is ok as i can still watch my films but I cant see all the movisheets I spent hours setting up.

When I use the command ‘net view’ in cmd my nas isnt listed on the network but my laptop and WDTV’s are, when i use the command ‘nbtstat -a (NAS name)’ it is listed but not as the master the browser, I dont if this has something to do with the problem.

Any help greatly appreciated as I’ve spent hours trying to sort it out

Thanks

Mike

Are you sure your SMP is signed into your NAS?  I don’t know if it is required with Synologys’ media server package enabled.

I had problems with mine when I changed passwords on my NAS.  The SMP didn’t like oddball characters in the NAS ID/password, like \ or ! or ( sort of thing.  It seems to only like letters and numbers. 

If this is familiar, try changing your login ID  & password to something different on the NAS, then clear the logins from the SMP.  Enter your changes on the SMP, and you may find the shares appear.

Hope it helps,

Did your Synology auto update to DSM 4.3 when it was released a few weeks ago? You may want to reapply/verify the NFS sharing/permissions on the folder(s). Are the IPs of the WDTVs static or could they have been reassigned and no longer match the Synology entry.?

based on the net view & nbstat -a usage

master browser issue is very likely

also since somebody mentioned NFS above

user does not state what type of shares, he’s using, but I would guess smb/cifs

and verifying permissions all carried forward when upgrading to new DSM is a good idea

Are you using Synology Media Package? I have a 1512 and do no use the Media Package, don’t need it with the WD 1). Ck the permissions on the NAS as they may have changed with a DSM upgrade 2). Ck to make sure your NFS shares are turned on 3). Ck on the WD box the share under the media library ( some times it helps to delete and rescan) 4). I have found some times the IP of the NAS or your WD box may be reassigned in this case you need to make sure they really match what you have entered.

My synology didnt auto update, but i did update manually after i couldnt resolve the problem thinking it might help, but it didnt I have checked all settings and they are the same as before when i could see the network shares.  'Are the IPs of the WDTVs static or could they have been reassigned and no longer match the Synology entry.?’  How would i check if they match the synology entry.

Ive checked all the NFS settings and noting has changed, i switched everything off last night router NAS etc and rebooted and still no change.

If I change the login and password of the NAS Im not sure if this will help as the WDTV cant see the NAS to start with for me to clear login details on the WDTV, or should I still try it.  At the moment I login as the administrator on my NAS would i need to set up another user on the NAS

Thanks for all your suggestions and help

Mike

I am running DSM 4.3 on my NAS.  I’m using the admin user with a password.  I do not have another user account set up.  All is working fine.

I don’t have NFS enabled, but I do have Windows File Service enabled.  Might be the first thing to try. 

shot → http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo322/biffboffo/sysinfo.jpg

On the SMP, do you have Windows Share Service turned on?

Setup / Network Settings / Network Share Management / on/off

My network is hardwired, and I’ve manually set the IP’s of every device so a router power cycle won’t reassign IP’s.  The SMP’s have always worked well wirelessly for me, but I’m a purist at times.

Starting at the router, assign IP’s. 

Synologys’ MAC address →   System Information/ Network tab. 

SMP’s MAC address → Setup / About / Network Info / highlight network info and hit ok

Then set Device IP’s to correspond.

Synology → Control Panel / Network / Network Interface > LAN

SMP → Setup / Network / Network Setup / Wired / Manual

May be unnecessary, but it just simplifies everything for me.

Bloodshot

I dont have nfs enabled either basically mine is setup as yours and was working fne

The network share on the SMP is on and my network is also hardwired like yours

Im sure my ip address’s match at both the router and device end but will double check

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Was thinking about renaming the NAS and rebooting it as then it would be seen on the network as a new device, any thoughts about that

Thanks

Mike

Not many, unfortunately.  Just try what you can.  It’s always a process of ellimination for me, and sometimes I have to start all the way at square one.  Incedentally, I have given my NAS a name…  “Tumah”    Great when it’s working, but with all it’s bells and whistles, that could well be where the problem lies.

KAD79 wrote:

master browser issue is very likely

user does not state what type of shares, he’s using, but I would guess smb/cifs

a few highlights again

run lanscan to find out what device is the master browser

KAD79

Appologies for my ignorance what is smb/cifs

My WDTV in the lounge is the master browser If i unplug it it stops becoming the master browser soon as its plugged in it takes over as master browser, if i enable the master browser on the NAS it then becomes master browser, but still cant see the NAS on the SMP windows shares, I can see my laptop and other SMP but just the NAS doesnt show.

What is baffling me is when i type net view in cmd my NAS doesnt appear in the list of items on my network, this must have something to with SMP not seeing my NAS through windows shares, any idea how to get my NAS to appear in the list of devices when using the net view command

I’ve tried renaming the NAS and checking the IP adresses of the NAS and SMP’s and everything seems in order, I cant think what else to try

Again thanks guys for your suggestions

Mike

See if this tutorial for troubleshooting helps:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Networking/Troubleshooting-Windows-File-Sharing/m-p/92642#U92642

I have looked into the tuturial posted above but I stumble at the first command net view, as my NAS doesnt show in the list of devices.  When you using the nbtstat -a command my wdtvlive is the MBROWSER, not sure how to stop this happening, apart from activating the master browser function on the NAS but still it doesnt show in windows shares on the SMP

Thanks

djmike wrote:

I have looked into the tuturial posted above but I stumble at the first command net view, 

Why are you stopping there?  There’s more to the guide than that.

such as where it says:

Does your server still NOT appear in any of those lists?   Okay, try this:

C:\Users\Tony>net view /domain
Domain

I can get my NAS details to appear when using the command nbtsat -a (name of NAS) it tells me that it is not the MBROWSER and its in the correct domain WORKGROUP as your posted tuturiol, maybe i need to set the master browser funnction to on, on the NAS but this activates the guest account and this isnt supposed to be a good idea apprantley, I have done this before but still can get the NAS to appear as a window share

Im at a bit of a loss really

Thanks again for you help

Great link.  Love stuff like that.  I’m but a noob compared to those guys…

FWIW, I found one of my SMP’s is master browser. 

My network is all XP machines but for a blacksheep laptop running 7-- if it matters.

sounds like tony got you on the right track

in general the SMP should never be the master browser

having the synology be a master browser, in general should be a good option

rruh rohh

@ KAD79 - in general the SMP should never be the master browser

As yet this hasn’t presented a problem, that I know of…  I’ll look farther into it.  It’s good to have things right.  

Thanks.

Bloodshot wrote:

rruh rohh

@ KAD79 - in general the SMP should never be the master browser

As yet this hasn’t presented a problem, that I know of…  I’ll look farther into it.  It’s good to have things right.  

Thanks.

yeah, there’s sort of 2 sides to the coin

if it’s not broke dont’ fix it

but having the SMP be the master browser, it’s much more likely you’ll encounter some problem eventually

than if a server/nas or even a desktop PC is the master browser

another option for master browser, a lot of newer routers have the ability to become the master browser

if set up accordingly

to attempt to sum up the whole master browser issue

WD turns on and asks the master broswer - are there any network shares?

master browser responds - with a list of share or there are no shares

so if the master browser, due to various factors does not see the shares available on a pc

the WD will not see them either, because it received the info from the master browser

djmike wrote:

…maybe i need to set the master browser funnction to on, on the NAS but this activates the guest account…

That’s the most bizarre thing I’ve ever seen implemented in a NAS.   I don’t understand why they require this – one has absolutely nothing to do with the other.  :dizzy_face: