Old WDTV Live Plus Sees SMB Shares and plays without issue, new WDTV Live can not see smb shares

I have a small server setup with smb shares (runs Freebsd 9) and I’ve had several of the older WD TV Live Plus players setup and they all play the files fine.

Yesterday I decided to add another and picked up the new WDTV Live (gen3) and it can not see the smb shares under windows shares or linux shares. 

I’m not sure if I’m missing a new configuration option or something like that, and am hoping someone can send me in the right direction.

I had read that it could take a long time to find the shares, so I left it searching for windows shares all night but still nothing when I woke up this morning. 

The server is always on (217 days uptime right now), so it’s not a matter of turning it on first (seen this as a solution for some). 

Make sure the WORKGROUP name matches, and make sure the new box gets its own unique name. (The default is WDTVLIVE, which you might already be using on one of the older boxes.)

I have my files being served from a Linux machine using Samba, with two SMPs.  Works perfectly.  Notion that it might take “some time” for SMPs to find always on Samba server is rubbish.  As soon as my SMPs have rebooted they have the Samba server.  Matching workgroup is certainly critical.  I am using static IP addresses and slightly different names on my two SMP–though they worked fine with DHCP addresses and identical (default) names.  My Samba server is the SMB Master Browser for our network; some SMB problems seem related to Master Browser problems.  If not workgroup or MB, etc., I would try looking at your networking gear.

Thank you, it was the issue that it had the same name as another one of the boxes, once I changed the name it found the shares with no problem (right away!)

Appreciate the help! I feel silly, because I changed the name on the 2nd one I bought but not this new one heh. 

Thanks again.

Glad I could help!