WDTV Live SMP + Synology NAS = No network shares

Well looks like i need to set the NAs to master browser didnt get a chance to take a look yesterday will do today and report back the outcome, hopefully i can get it sorted, as its starting to bug me now

Thanks again for all your responses most appreciated

Mike

Ok so Ive set the Synology NAS as MBROWSER and this is confirmed when using the nbtstat -a (nas name).  I also done the command net view /domain and I have one domain which is workgroup, my NAS is on this workgroup, but still the SMP doesnt see my NAS on the windows shares, anyone have any ideas Im at a total loss

Cheers

after setting the NAS as master browser

did you reboot the WD?

besides that I’m not sure

Have you tried using Synology’s Media Server program?  I have that running on 3 DS212J’s accessed by 4 SMP’s and a Hub using Network share/Windows Shares. Are your SMP’s named differently? Could be a possible conflict if you did a factory reset on them and didn’t change names.

Does the NAS show up in Windows Explorer under networks, and if you expand it do the shares show up?

If so I would like to suggest you change the workgroup on the SMP to something different then back to the workgroup you have the NAS and your PC(s)/devices set to.  I think you indicated you were using the Windows default of WORKGROUP. If this works I would consider changing all you devices to an different workgroup name just so that you can immedietly tell if something has caused a reset to defaults.

I did reboot the WDTV’s after setting the NAS to MBROWSER, and Im using the Media Software on the NAS

Yes my NAS shows up in windows and explorer, and the shares show up if expanded

@ Braumeister so should i rename the workgroup on my NAS and my 2 WDTVS say to HOMEGROUP and see what happens from there, thinking about it i think my PC is set to something different but that has never changed and used to work fine uo until a 2 weeks ago

Thanks

Dont confuse Homegroup with Workgroup.  Both are related to sharing in different ways. With Homegroup windows creates a  password that you share with other windows computers to share your pictures/music/videos,etc.

Workgroup is simular to a local domain that many devices can use not just windows.  Right click the “Computer” icon on you desktop or in the start menu and click on properties. This will open a window showing your computer name and the name of the WORKGROUP. This is the name that the WD Live SMP needs. All you devices/pc(s) should be in this same WORKGROUP.  You can change the Workgroup name by clicking the link on the right side of the page. You could change it if you wish just make sure all your devices match. You could use something like---- djmike.

You still need to make sure sharing/permissions are set for the individual folders you want the SMP to connect to.