Well, I’m busy deliberately trashing my Win7 box and reproducing the results. I can do this At-Will because I’m running Win7 inside a Virtual Machine. Takes about 5 minutes to rebuild it from scratch. :)
CLEAN Baseline Win7 install (with Office 2007) NO PROBLEM.
Install Windows Live Essentials (which installs a BUNCH of stuff) including:
Office Live Add-in 1.3 2.0.2313.0
SQL Server 2005 CE 3.1.0000
Sync Framework Runtime Native v1.0 (x86) 1.0.1215.0
Sync Framework Services Native v1.0 (x86) 1.0.1215.0
Windows Live Essentials 14.0.8117.0416
Windows Live Sign-In Assistant 5.000.818.5
Windows Live Sync 14.0.8117.416
Windows Live Upload Tool 14.0.814.1029
Under THAT LIST, everything still works fine.
Then, I ran Windows UPDATE, and installed all IMPORTANT updates. After rebooting, the following CHANGES showed in the list:
Still, no problem.
Ran Update AGAIN (apparently, quite a few of the updates didn’t download the first time.)
No version changes in the above list. Things still work fine.
Ran Update AGAIN, this time selecting the two uninstalled updates and ALL “Optional” Updates.
Now, we have:
MS Office Live Add-In 1.5 2.0.4024.1
(Add in 1.3 is gone.)
Windows Live ID Assistant 6.500.3165.0
That’s ALL that shows up as changed.
Still, NO PROBLEM.
Rebooted the PC (this was NOT a mandatory reboot.)
So, the FIRST time I did this, I removed ONLY the Windows Live ID Assistant, and all was working again.
Second time, I uninstalled ONLY the Office Live Add-In 1.5.
No Dice. Still Broken, even after a manual reboot.
Then I uninstalled the Windows Live ID Assistant (6.5) followed by a mandatory reboot.
Voila… Works again.
Folks, it **REALLY** looks like WIndows Live ID Assistant is the root cause of this.
HOWEVER – I’m running a clean machine.
You MIGHT try this: If you’re willing to risk it:
Go REINSTALL the “Windows Live Essentials” package from microsoft’s website (All I have to do is type ESSENTIALS in the Search Programs and Files box in the Start panel to get a direct link.)
That SHOULD reinstall all the above components.
Then go do an UPDATE, with ALL COMPONENTS updated, including Optional.
THEN DELETE the Windows Live ID Assistant and ONLY that, and it will hopefully repair the issue.