WDTV Live doesnt login to shares win7 (invaild usernam/pass) Sooo frustrating!

I really need help with this. Its driving me crazy! I cannot access network shares. No matter what username and password I put in it ALWAYS says its invalid! I can access the WDTV drive from my pc and I can access my PCs media server files on my WDTV.

I have the folder shared and the permissions for “everyone” and “administrator” are set to full control. I have tried changing the password and username for the main PC user account, I have also tried creating a seperate user account just for WDTV. I added that to the permissions with full control too.

I tried changing “Auto Login to Network Share.”

I made sure network discovery is turned on, file and printer sharing turned on, password protected sharing is turned off. I made sure my pc is set to WORKGROUP. Still no matter what I put it always says username/password incorrect.

Any ideas?

Windows 7 64x

10:1 odds you have a program called “Windows Live ID Assistant” installed on one of the user accounts.

If you do, uninstall it and things should work.

Let us know!

I did a search for “Windows Live ID Assistant” and nothing came up. Where would I find it?

Did you go to “Uninstall programs” and look for it there?

Yup, its not there either. It doesnt look like I have it.

Ok, dumb question:   Have you tried just logging in using the default?  (Anonymous / No Password)  

same thing “Invaild username or password”

If you’re not COMPLETELY comfortable doing this, then don’t do it.

Open the Registry Editor (start / run / regedit)

Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

SYSTEM

CurrentControlSet

Control

Lsa

On the right side, look for the key “everyoneincludesanonymous” and change its value to “1”.

Then, go try to log in using the WDTV’s default of Anonymous and no password.

Exit Regedit, reboot.  Try again.  If that does not fix it, IMMEDIATELY go change it back to 0.

Didnt work :frowning:

Well snap.

This is a hail-Mary pass, because I’ve not had to do ANY of this, but several people reported good results.

This guy is on the Forum here, but I don’t recall his Username.  Credit is his if it works!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQstgQ4eJCM

Same thing, invalid username/pass

I’m out of ideas… :frowning:  Sorry…

The problem is the office update in win 7 32bit … dont install " office live add in 1.5 " This upgrade  make you unable to connect the WDTV live on PC ( "invalid username or password "). The uninstallation of this upgrade dont resolve the problem. I resove the problem  with the reinstallation the immage of WINdows 7 32 ( without "office live add in 1.5) . And all work fine…

No problem with win 7 64 because it dont install   " office live add in 1.5 ".

Best regards,

Francesco,  by Naples

So your saying to fix this the only thing I can do is reinstall windows 7 and install 32 bit? Sorry I dont really understand what your wrote. 

Even if I could keeep 64x, but still had to reinstall there is no way Im going to format my PC for WDTV. I think this thing is going back to the store! :frowning:

Well, it depends.   If you DO have that installed, note the “Installed on” date in the uninstaller.  

You could then try doing a “Restore to a previous time” option to a date before that time occured.

I know, it’s a pain in the you-know-what, and the best it’d do is make it work.   Only you can tell if it’s worth the effort.

Thing is, there’s all kinds of reports about this issue on the net, and it’s not just WDTV that has the issue.  It’s possible that it’s any NON-Microsoft client.

One of the Technet threads I read (which was posted by a Microsoft admin) said that this is due to the addition of “Credentials Management” on the systems when this software is installed.  I am hoping to do more research.

I have an immage of my Win7 32 bit saved on another Hard disk ( with Acronis true immage home ) without Office live add-in 1.5  and when i install this upgrade i lost the connection between the PC and WDTV . I dont know what happen after this upgrade.I dont know  where is the problem in the  networking . Maybe a “system restore”  before the upgrade could resove  the problem.

Sorry for my poor english…

Dragun, could you try something else?   Just for giggles (based on some very similar posts involving issues with Apple devices.)

Browse to your server (which, I assume, is still set up to allow EVERYONE)

When asked for your USERID, put your COMPUTER NAME in there instead.

In other words, if your PC name, as it appears in the “Network Share” list is PC1

UserID:   PC1

Password:  (blank)

More technical stuff from TechNet:

Try DISABLING IPv6 support on your machine.   Presumably, you’re not using it?

Go into NETWORK AND SHARING CENTER

click CHANGE ADAPTER SETTINGS (on left menu dock.)

Single-click the appropriate interface.

Right-click it and go to PROPERTIES

Uncheck “Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)”

Click OK

Close the rest of the menus.

franchito2009 wrote:

The problem is the office update in win 7 32bit … dont install " office live add in 1.5 " This upgrade  make you unable to connect the WDTV live on PC ( "invalid username or password "). The uninstallation of this upgrade dont resolve the problem. I resove the problem  with the reinstallation the immage of WINdows 7 32 ( without "office live add in 1.5) . And all work fine…

No problem with win 7 64 because it dont install   " office live add in 1.5 ".

Best regards,

Francesco,  by Naples

My first (and hopefully last) post here on the forums :slight_smile:

I tried the above mentioned and it worked like a charm. As a matter of fact, I uninstalled EVERY frekin’ litte bit of software containing the word “LIVE” and rebooted. After that a ran a system maintanence tool called CCleaner and cleared out the registry and left over files in the system. After that I rebooted again and WD TV LIVE HD could access network shares again.

I removed

• Live Essentials

• Office Live Add in 1.5

• Live ID some thingy

• Live ID Log in assistant

• Live Sync

• Live upload tool

Don’t know the exact english name of these softwares since I have a swedish Windows. But I removed everything “LIVE”.

I know the poster said that it wouldn’t work even though you uninstalled Office Live Add in 1.5, but perhaps CCleaner removed some left over settings from the registry that made it work? I wouldn’t know. Also I formatted my PC 2 days ago since it started acting up, mabye there is some additional software out there messing up WD TV LIVE HD as well…

My wife thinks I must be mad keeping this piece of electronic since it won’t function properly over half of the time… I’m starting to wonder if she might be on to something :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: Forgot to mention I tried the Wireless setup earlier when the Media Player gave up on me. I’m back on wired connection atm but I am now going to set up the wireless connection again. Getting an IP addres and find the network shares was never really a problem for me, accessing them was a whole different story. After that I’m going to reinstall Windows Live Messenger again and se what happens.

Edit2: Wireless setup complete, works just fine. Windows Live Messenger (markeds as Windows Live Essentials in add/remove programs) installed together with the blasted Windows Log in Assistant and Windows Upload Tool, still going strong. Seems like the Office Live Add in 1.5 removal did the trick for me at least.

Hope this helps others. 2680 posts in the WD TV Live Media Player: Networking section is just wrong :wink:

1 Like

Well, I’m busy deliberately trashing my Win7 box and reproducing the results.   I can do this At-Will because I’m running Win7 inside a Virtual Machine.  Takes about 5 minutes to rebuild it from scratch.  :)

So far:

CLEAN Baseline Win7 install (with Office 2007) NO PROBLEM.

Install Windows Live Essentials (which installs a BUNCH of stuff) including:

Office Live Add-in 1.3    2.0.2313.0

Silverlight       3.0.40624.0

SQL Server 2005 CE     3.1.0000

Sync Framework Runtime Native v1.0 (x86)  1.0.1215.0

Sync Framework Services Native v1.0 (x86) 1.0.1215.0

Windows Live Essentials  14.0.8117.0416

Windows Live Sign-In Assistant  5.000.818.5

Windows Live Sync  14.0.8117.416

Windows Live Upload Tool  14.0.814.1029

Under THAT LIST, everything still works fine.

Then, I ran Windows UPDATE, and installed all IMPORTANT updates.  After rebooting, the following CHANGES showed in the list:

Silverlight 3.0.50106.0.

Still, no problem.

Ran Update AGAIN (apparently, quite a few of the updates didn’t download the first time.)

No version changes in the above list. Things still work fine.

Ran Update AGAIN, this time selecting the two uninstalled updates and ALL “Optional” Updates.

Now, we have:

MS Office Live Add-In 1.5   2.0.4024.1  

(Add in 1.3 is gone.)

Windows Live ID Assistant 6.500.3165.0

That’s ALL that shows up as changed.

Still, NO PROBLEM.

Rebooted the PC (this was NOT a mandatory reboot.)

BOOM!   BROKEN!

So, the FIRST time I did this, I removed ONLY the Windows Live ID Assistant, and all was working again.

Second time, I uninstalled ONLY the Office Live Add-In 1.5.

No Dice.  Still Broken, even after a manual reboot.

Then I uninstalled the Windows Live ID Assistant (6.5) followed by a mandatory reboot.

Voila…  Works again.

Folks,  it **REALLY** looks like WIndows Live ID Assistant is the root cause of this.

HOWEVER – I’m running a clean machine.

You MIGHT try this: If you’re willing to risk it:

Go REINSTALL the “Windows Live Essentials” package from microsoft’s website (All I have to do is type ESSENTIALS in the Search Programs and Files box in the Start panel to get a direct link.)

That SHOULD reinstall all the above components.

Then go do an UPDATE, with ALL COMPONENTS updated, including Optional.

THEN DELETE the Windows Live ID Assistant and ONLY that, and it will hopefully repair the issue.