WDTV Live crash / skip files

guys,

i’ve download and install the latest firmware from WD Website 1.04.17 (11/2010). but the problem i’m facing still there. at first i thought by upgrading the firmware to the latest one will solved it.

ok the problems i have are:

1. There’s 2 movie files that will freeze and restart the machine afterwards. but it doesn’t freeze at the exact same scene or minutes. Sometimes it’ll stop even at the very first 5 minutes. or sometimes at after 40 minutes.

2. most of my MKV movie files will skip or stop playing as if it’s finished playing already.

i tried to play it in my computer, no problem with the  2 movie files that keep freezing and crash. as so with the MKV files movie. no problem at all. in my computer i’m using WMP with codecs installed.

can you guys let me know what’s the problem and how to solve this?

thanks before.

Hello,

What type of files are you playing? You mention MKV but what type of codecs are you using? You can download mediainfo and get all the media file information.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en/Download

downloading as we speak. i’ll update the MKV information as soon as i checked it.

Thing is despite what ever the codec is, the WDTV should not freeze then need a reboot then to put the settings back in. it should simply refuse to play the file. WD need to fix this ongoing issue once and for all. There are many media streamers entering the market Boxee and even LG/Sony are entering the market and seem to offer better reliability. Also why does WDTV LIVE insist on sometimes not playing the file over a network but plays the same file when a local hard drive is connected? Thought that was the idea letting the user access files over a network. Come on WD read this forum and realise users are having the same issues over and over again, if you are such experts I am sure you can resolve the freeze and have to reboot or system restore problem

cbram71 wrote:
Thing is despite what ever the codec is, the WDTV should not freeze then need a reboot then to put the settings back in. it should simply refuse to play the file.

The thing is, the Manual and all the online documentation is quite clear on what the Sigma chip was designed to decode and what it wasn’t… there’s no major reason to start trying to play files that it was never designed to play, and then be surprised that the chip handles it badly.

I’ve never had my WDTV Live freeze and need to be rebooted when playing a supported file.

My Gen1 on the other hand, ya, it is affected by the whole issue with compression in the headers of Matroska files, which in a perfect world should never have happened… but this isn’t a perfect world and that part of the specs got overlooked by almost every hardware and software player on the market… and the issue has been fixed for the current WDTV Live lineup (Live, Live Plus, Live Hub), and there’s a simple enough fix for my Gen1: I just don’t create any files with compression – and then there’s no “bad” files and no files needing to be “fixed”.

But other than the compression/.mkv issue, the Gen1 has never failed playing a supported file either.