Playback problems!

Please help! I now experience mutiple playback problems. Almost all my new files (mkv or mp4) stutters. I have even tried several versions of the same movie in (720p) and they all stutter/pixelate. I tried jusing handbrake as described in the FAQ, but I end up with getting 3 minute files, and there is still stuttering?

I also have problems with films just stopping, to which solution I have learned is using the mkvmerge gui program. This worked on one occasion, but on others I either get “damaged file” when trying to open them in mkvmerge, or the remuxing process “freezes” without progress. I can`t believe that all these files are damaged? I believe it must be something with the player. It seems to have increased after the upgrade, although i have had problems before as well.

I`m getting really tired of WDTV now.  Do you have to be a rocket scientist just to watch some **bleep** movies on your hdtv… arghh. If anyone have tips, please help.

In order to help you, we’re gonna need a little more info.  I know it’s frustrating when things don’t work (I often get tech rage!) but take a deep breath, relax, and see if you can get us the following:

• Model of WD TV:  Live, Plus, Hub?
  • Firmware version.
  • What the media is stored on (NAS, external USB HDD, PC on the network, USB flash drive, etc).
  • How are you connected to the media (wired or wireless)
  • How do you access the media (network share or media server)
  • a MediaInfo text output of one of the non-working files

Hopefully someone will then be able to help you pinpoint what’s causing the stuttering.

1 Like

I have WDTV HD Live, use external USB elements drive, wireless connection. (the ext drive is plugged into the player).

Hope this is helpful info

I have WDTV HD Live, use external USB elements drive, wireless connection. (the ext drive is plugged into the player).

Hope this is helpful info, thanks

and I have the latest 1.04 update

ok, rolled back to 1.03.49 and everything is much better. All my mkvs seemed to stop after a few minutes with 1.04. now they work.(those I have tested) So there is obviously a problem with the new release. In the release notes, it is announced solution on a bunch of problems, including MKV, as far as I can see. So how come the result is the other way around? It is regress not progress to have to roll back!  blargh! Is WD aware of these problems? Or is something I miay have done wrong when installing the firmware( just pressed installed as the update appeared on the player)

Did you try a factory reset following updating your firmware?

Sometimes that helps iron out odd issues.

It’s true that all you should have to do it accept the update and leave it at that.  Unfortunately, some of the changes implemented may require a factory reset to function correctly.

What I normally do (and it’s a bit overkill but try it) is as follows:

1. Hard reset your device (press the tiny side button with a paperclip for a couple of seconds).  Unit will reboot.
  2. Navigate to system settings and reset to factory defaults.  Unit will reboot.
  3. Once back in the UI, power down and unplug for 10 minutes.

That gets your unit as default as possible and helps rule out firmware update quirks.

If you’re feeling adventurous, try updating to 1.04.10 again followed by the above steps.

Otherwise, hold out for a new update.  Given the various bugs present in 1.04.10, WD should be releasing a new firmware in the near future.

I also upgraded to the latest frimware, and had .mkv stuttering as well. Did the resent and unplug trick, still same issue.

Rolled back to old firmware and all is working well again.

Hope there is another release to resolve this, I did like the added internet media options.

I have problems with some movie files pixelating/stuttering, both Mp4 and mkvs. The strange thing is, if one version of a film doesnt play well on my wdtv, almost all of the other versions i try has the same problem. Mkvmerge doesnt help, neither does handbrake. I ve tried like the FAQ says, but when handbraking, only the beginning of the file gets processed, and I`m left with a 5 minute file or a full length file where the last hour or so is blank. Anyone has a solution?

You will find that stuttering is a bug with VOB files, as well.  See this thread for info:   http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/BUG-Confirmed-1-04-17V-VOB-stutter-over-network/td-p/108518

WD  has decided that it is more important to add frivolous features like Flingo and Deezer than to ensure the core features of their devices work like video playback.  I am very upset with the direction they went with the device.  It was at first the most stable media player for playing MEDIA!

Wake up WD and realize that we bought this device to play media.  If you want to add features that .0001% of us care about like Deezer then don’t screw up the core features of the device.  I have two words for you REGRESSION TESTING!

pegga wrote:

… but when handbraking, only the beginning of the file gets processed, and I`m left with a 5 minute file or a full length file where the last hour or so is blank. Anyone has a solution?

That’s a CLASSIC indication that the source material is corrupt.   Handbrake is VERY VERY sensitive to errors in source material.

I thought i `d try to update, so see if maybe the problems with stuttering files would be solved. Am a bit confused now, with all the recent updates, 1.0410 and 0417. Now it says current version is 1.0349 and new available version is 2.0349?? Anyways I updated, but it still says the same? Input anyone?

Sounds like you’re trying to update using firmware that has a modified “VER” file.

pegga wrote:

I thought i `d try to update, so see if maybe the problems with stuttering files would be solved. Am a bit confused now, with all the recent updates, 1.0410 and 0417. Now it says current version is 1.0349 and new available version is 2.0349?? Anyways I updated, but it still says the same? Input anyone?

There is no such thing as 2.03.49 firmware therefore you are using a rollback issue which has a higher version number to fool the WDTV into downgrading to 1.03.49.

The file named wdtvlive_1_3_49_V_Rollback.zip is 1.03.49 firmware with a version number of 2.03.49

yes it is correct that  i rolled back. I had to! but how do I now upgrade?

pegga wrote:

You can let the WDTV upgrade via the network. There should be a update firmware icon showing now you’ve rolled back.

pegga wrote:

Why would you like to upgrade, when you have just rolled back?

Cocovanna

good point. but i still have playback problems on a lot of files and i wanna try one more time to see if it helps…dont know if it does though, but maybe if I hard reset it after the upgrade it will help.. After all, the upgrade is supposed to solve mp4 and mkv issues, and it seems that is has helped some..but i dont know. all i know i won`t choose wd next time

Same playback issues with  1.04.17V.  Some MKV files (not all - larger HD sizes it appears) would stutter/freeze during playback.  While fast forwarding the movies, it would stutter and not catch up until pause and play button used twice.  Even then, some of the movies would keep on stuttering or freeze after play button pressed - even if WDTVLIVE turned off - then back on.  Some of these files would play properly if not paused or stopped.  RESET to factory default DID NOT HELP.

Rolled back to version 1.03.49 - and playback problems have gone away.  Personnally, I purchased WDTVLIVE to watch network movies on TV, not to surf the internet or watch tube videos.  PLEASE fix playback capabilities FIRST - that should be the bread and butter of WDTVLIVE.  Tks 

I too am having trouble believing that WD is adding value to this product but disabling the ability to watch an HD movie vs. watching you tube vids… fix the player please, once that works you can polish this turd.