WDMyCloud – 40 second reset seems to have bricked it

This morning I had everything working except for the fact that I couldn’t access the dashboard, possibly as a result of changing my router (and ISP). I wanted too regain dashboard functionality so I performed the 40 second reset as per the support pages. I’ve actually done it a few times, as each time the blue light comes back on after probably less than the advertised 15 minutes. Now I cannot get anything. The usual http://mycloud.local does not connect to it, the WD My Cloud application does not connect to it. The device is listed on my router’s admin page, but I cannot see a way of connecting to it at all. Some way forward, surely…?

Try the IP address, rather than the device name.

What are the ethernet LEDs indicating?

What is the new ISP and router?

1 Like

Did you change your ISP to AT&T Uverse, or change your router to one of the ones mentioned in the following WD Support document? If so the solution is to put a switch in between the My Cloud and the router.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=15086

1 Like

I noticed last night that the blue light was actually very slowly pulsing not steady. This morning it is solid blue but the situation is the same. The device can be seen on the network and has an IP address but nothing will actually connect to it. Trying to connect directly to it using the IP address produces no result either. The ethernet lights are steady yellow and flickering green. My new router and ISP are quite normal (for the UK) – the router is a ‘Bright Box 2’ and runs on the standard BT OpenReach system. Also of course it was working quite happily, except for dashboard, before I reset it yesterday, so I don’t think it’s to do with the router or ISP.

The blue pulsing is just the unit going into power save mode , that’s not an issue.

How did you find the units IP address?

Right…! OK. The IP address is listed on the router’s admin page and also on the front page of the WD My Cloud desktop application:

Can you

ping 192.168.0. 11

And

Tracert 192.168.0.11

Just to see if there is a network config issue.

Ping = 10 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss
Traceroute stopped after this:
Traceroute has started…

traceroute to 192.168.0.11 (192.168.0.11), 64 hops max, 72 byte packets
1 10.0.0.1 (10.0.0.1) 5.052 ms 1.770 ms 1.928 ms
2 * * *
3 * 213.121.98.129 (213.121.98.129) 10.960 ms 7.953 ms
4 213.121.98.128 (213.121.98.128) 8.192 ms 7.800 ms 7.775 ms
5 * * *
6 * * *
7 * * *
8 * * *
9 * * *
10 * * *
11 * * *
12 * * *
13 * * *
14 * * *
15 * * *
16 * * *
17 * * *
18 * * *
19 * * *
20 * * *

OK , that shows the issue is not with the unit itself , but somethings not right with the network connection , I’m wondering if it’s on a different sub-net or something is re-routing packets to that IP to an invalid location.

Your PC is 192.168.0.* ?

This suggests your new router is using an entirely different set of IP addresses (the 10.xx.xx.xx range, rather than 192.168.1.xxx).

The route trace has got to your router (10.0.0.1), then found its way to your ISP (or maybe the external IP address of your router) (213.121.98.129), and then got no further.

Which also suggests the 192.168.0.11 address is probably out-of-date, and is the address previously assigned by your old router.

The 40-second reset should have forced the MyCloud to use DHCP for its IP address. Have you used the router’s control panel to check the IP addresses assigned by its DHCP server? Have you reset the router?

OK - this is going to be down to CUJO (www.getcujo.com), a hardware firewall which I had to configure the other day to the new router. The router is at 10.0.0.1 and the Mac at 10.0.25, but CUJO deals with DHCP and has an IP pool at 192.168.0.x which it allocates to the various devices on the network. I didn’t think it was an issue because WDMyCloud had been working happily with Cujo before, but maybe the reset has disrupted that. Any ideas?

You’ve got your Mac on the ‘dirty’ side of the hardware firewall…?

Why not put everything on the clean side of the firewall, and let its DHCP server sort everything out?

The fact that your Mac has a 10. IP address shows that it has not been given an IP address by the CUJO, so I assume that means it’s not ‘clean’, and is being given an IP address by the router. Being on an entirely different address space, your Mac will not be able to talk to the MyCloud, unless you set up a bridging rule in the router.

Looks like you should have the CUJO set up in ‘Gateway mode’, assuming you only have one modem/router:

https://support.getcujo.com/support/solutions/articles/9000037382-how-does-cujo-work-

ps. the CUJO website isn’t the clearest I’ve ever seen… Can’t seem to find a succinct description of how to connect it to your router, and still use the router to provide wired and wifi routing on the ‘clean’ side of the firewall. This might help:

https://support.getcujo.com/support/solutions/articles/9000124915-dhcp-mode-brightbox-router

1 Like

Good call – I just put my Mac’s IP back onto DHCP (we had to have it on a manually allocated IP to get Cujo working) – and now I have WD dashboard and everything seems to be OK … fingers crossed while I check all the other parameters. Cheers!

Well, I’m glad we got there. But it’s a good example of why it’s important to report clearly the sequence of events, and equipment involved…

1. Changed router to BrightBox2, IP address 10.0.0.1
  2. Forced a static IP address (10.0.0.25) on Mac to gain access to router and firewall
  3. Configured new router to disable DHCP server
  4. Configured CUJO hardware firewall (which is now DHCP server, allocating 192.168.0.xxx)
  5. Couldn’t access Dashboard (at IP address 192.168.0.11) from Mac, although blue light is solid or pulsating, and ethernet LEDs are active.
  6. Did 40 second reset of MyCloud
  7. MyCloud came up from reset with blue light as expected
  8. Still couldn’t access Dashboard
  9. Did a few more resets, each time it came up blue light as expected
  10. Blamed MyCloud…
1 Like

Very grateful for the help. Not so happy with the dunce’s cap. Oh well.