WD TV player wont pick up samsung SSD?

Hi,
I just got my new Samsung SSD USB drive today. I formatted it and threw a test vid on it. The WDTV player doesn’t seem to pick it up. Says no USB devices connected. I’m wondering if it’s a driver thing and the usb is too new?

my box fails to check for firmware update … Maybe I have to figure out where to go to get it updated manually?

I have an older WDTV player (the one that still has Netflix on it) and a newer one. Both have never given me a hard time plugging usb drives into them. The USB is a Samsung portable SSD T5 (500 GB)

my box fails to check for firmware update … Maybe I have to figure out where to go to get it updated manually?

Updating the firmware won’t solve the hard drive problem (Read the Solution Below)

Last (and final) firmware update was 5 Years ago.

Now, to solve the Samsung SSD Problem …

Firstly it needs to formatted either NTFS, FAT32 or HFS (Mac)

Secondly the older Gen 2 WDTV Media Players are not compatible with GPT (Guid Partition Table) which virtually all Hard Drive Manufacturers now use.

Gen 2 WDTV’s only support MBR (Master Boot Record) Partition Table up to 2TB

Solution:

Backup your data … Format and Re-partition the HDD to MBR and whichever Format you want eg. NTFS, FAT32 or HFS.

Even doing that, there’s no guarantee your drive will work. I do remember that the WDTVs were very persnickety about compatibility of USB drives.

It’s a start … in an attempt to solve the problem

hmm … over the years i have owned all the “Gens” from the 1st WDTV HD Media player right through to the last WDTV Media Player … there wasn’t a single USB Hard drive/Flash drive/Thumbdrive of many that i own, that the players wouldn’t read.

I guess YMMV.