Wdtv doesnt read usb

I’ve got 2 WD TV media players: 1 in the living room and 1 in the bedroom. Both items I only use with USB-sticks to play movies or music. Always (one player is 3 years old, the other one 1 year) worked fine, but since last week both players wont read the USB-sticks. The message I get is “no local storage found”. I tried formatting the USB-sticks and re-installed the players. Nothing worked. Anyone suggestions?

Hello,

Have you tried using different USB sticks than the ones you have always used?
Also try the front and the back USB ports.

Hello,
I had the same problem yesterday with my WD TV Live. It does not detect either the front USB port or the rear port one. I unplugged the device, because usually this solution works but without success this time. I have updated the software to the latest version, I tried to restart from the menu but there is nothing to do with this player for now …I don’t know what to do more…Usually I manage to debug it but this time I’m stuck!

There’s something rotten in the state of my players…:wink:

Have you scanned WDTV Manual page 210, ‘troubleshooting’, 'USB device: the media library process failed:

I had this happen a few times on my WD portable drive. The only thing that worked was plugging it back into the computer and running a drive diagnostic. The flash drives might require a reformat.

My experience has been absolutely frustrating but had a good ending. I must have called WD six to eight times and at one time they replaced the entire unit and I had the same symptoms. I failed to return the 2nd unit and now have two of them and today they are working fine.

I had immense problems trying to use the 2 Terabyte Passport Drives. I was frequently told nothing was attached to the USB port. I tried both of them. I am quite an experimenter and after a long session I would always get each and every passport drive to work. But then I had no clue as to why.

I now know the answer. I put lots of data on the Passport Drives using my Windows 10 computer. I remember reading in the instructions that one should always get Windows to Formally release the drive and tell you it is OK to disconnect. Frequently I cannot get that Windows Function to Work and Disconnected anyway. I do believe that the WD-TV makes a big deal of this and perhaps there is a flag somewhere. If I do not disconnect properly the WD-TV absolutely will not read the drive and tells me it is not connected. About half the time Windows will release the drive and tell me it is safe to disconnect. If not I pull the plug anyway. BUT - I then plug it back in and tell Windows again to release the drive. The second time Windows always does release the drive and tells me it is safe to disconnect. When I do this WD-TV will always connect with the drive. I struggled with this problem for months not knowing what was happening. Hope this helps someone. There may be a command in the WD-TV command structure that also will allow the drive to connect but I now always make sure I disconnect properly from my Windows 10 PC and have had no more problems.

1 Like

Thx for your answer. I had found - at last - the same solution i.e. properly release my usb-stick from my pc as well from the WD box.

[quote=“hehlers1, post:7, topic:154035”]
Frequently I cannot get that Windows Function to Work and Disconnected anyway.[/quote]

I get this often with both my WD drive and flash drives. 99% of the time I can wait a minute of two, and try again successfully. No idea why it says “the drive is still in use”, perhaps the write/delete process has a hidden process that is slow. Either way, just wait a short bit and try again. By pulling the drive out, you take a big risk of losing data/files.

1 Like

I am now using my 3rd WDTV live player I have bought and its like the usb ports faulty because I have tried multiple external drives and you can clearly see both the light on the front of the WDTV box and on the hard drive flashing in sync but when I try to open the drive it tells me nothings plugged in I had a near fatal motorbike accident in 2006 and I can’t afford to keep replacing it every time the USB port decides to not work anymore so should I give up on this multi national brand and warn my thouands of friends via multi media to avoid this brand for any of its products becuse I’m obviously not alone here!!!

WDTV Live players are a discontinued product the WD no longer make of sell.

So, go ahead and warn your thousand friends … WD is not gonna lose any money on something they stopped making and selling 7 Years ago.

PS. I’ve used all WDTV Media Players and never encountered the problem you describe. So the problem must be at your end with incorrectly/unsupported formatted hard drives or not safely removed from a computer before plugging into the WDTV.