WD TV Live Limited Public Beta Version 1.03.42 (10/11/10)

Attention WD TV Live Users,

Once again, we are offering a  Limited Public Beta for the WD TV Live product.  In this beta release, we are looking to home in on correcting HDMI issues that are currently being experienced by some of our users.  We are limiting this to the first few hundred people who download it.  Feel free to install it, but be aware this is beta firmware that we are still testing, so use it at your own risk.

Limited Public Beta for the WD TV Live

http://wdc.com/wdtvlive_limitedpublicbetarelease/    

4 Likes

Thank you for re-releasing it for others.

Only 100 eh? Good thing I got one (as one of those with the HDMI problems).

Checking back tomorrow.

install went smoothly. initial eval = everything seems to be working as it should…will revert if any problems encountered…

File: C:\WD TV LIVE Firmware v1.03.42 (BetaRelease)\wdtvlive.bin
Size: 53493808 bytes
Modified: Wed, 6 Oct 2010, 5:26:20 pm
MD5: A1E9D91C26E9A6829EB15BA5A2BE48F8
SHA1: E9DC41CFB56A8B6C9DD9725991BAA1F9E10078BE
CRC32: 312F7F3E

File: C:\WD TV LIVE Firmware v1.03.42 (BetaRelease)\wdtvlive.fff
Size: 6585344 bytes
Modified: Wed, 6 Oct 2010, 5:26:06 pm
MD5: 241D9DBB21C01E55B80C61F5ED8D6EDA
SHA1: 707D7359D84BCEE40A08B2592C2BABE971D2D6D8
CRC32: EAE44BB9

File: C:\WD TV LIVE Firmware v1.03.42 (BetaRelease)\wdtvlive.ver
Size: 82 bytes
Modified: Wed, 6 Oct 2010, 5:26:02 pm
MD5: DB461A9A66C23C3D0336FC9F3DAAF67D
SHA1: E1E792ABC30A7E838CC62AA3FC28E07EF1FFABE7
CRC32: 122D3B5B

Anyone knows, what the fix “Improved Thumbnail caching” from _39 covers?

Cocovanna

Doesnt have problem with HDMI on this firmware ! 

Also all files are play and not error that some files is not supported ! 

Just problem with Sound i posted already ! 

I have Digital sound system 6.1 only have optical DIGITAL connection and thats way is connected to WD LIve with optical cable and i set in option i WD Digital for some files with this sound i have problem that now file is working without sound ! 

Video Specs:

Format:   H.264/MPEG-4 AVC
Bitrate Mode:   Variable
Bitrate:   2148 Kbps
Maximum Bit Rate:   9270 Kbps
Encoding:   2 Pass
Resolution:   1280 x 720
Quality Factor (QF):  0.097
Frame Rate Mode:   Constant
Frame Rate:   23.976 fps
Size:  1.39 GiB (89%)
Display Aspect Ratio:   16:9

Audio Specs:

Type:   mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC
Format Version:   Version 4
Frame Rate Mode:   Variable
Bitrate:   264.6 Kbps
Maximum Bit Rate:   276 Kbps
Sample Rate:   48000Hz
Channels:   6 Channels - Front: L C R, Rear: L R, LFE
Size:  172 MiB (11%)

Hope so that WD will work to fix this too ! 

Direct Download Link :

http://vuplus.bermoodateam.com/RL/files/wdtvlive_1.03.42_V.zip

Good Luck

Cocovanna wrote:

Anyone knows, what the fix “Improved Thumbnail caching” from _39 covers?

Cocovanna

im guessing it relates to the wdtv live becoming unresponsive when one is using thumbnail mode to display our collection of videos and we have a whole lot of videos in our collection (>500?)

i wonder if wd tv live is tested to be able to handle the volume of videos with thumbnails for the latest 3Tb My Book Essential?

say 1,500 videos with thumbnails…connected via usb, wireless N, and ethernet?

oceansoul wrote:

I have Digital sound system 6.1 only have optical DIGITAL connection and thats way is connected to WD LIve with optical cable and i set in option i WD Digital for some files with this sound i have problem that now file is working without sound ! 

** Audio Specs:**

Type:   mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC

aac audio is your problem i believe. i dont think your receiver/amp is able to decode aac audio.

tried setting audio to stereo instead of digital?

else convert the 5.1 aac audio to 5.1 ac3 and it will be guaranteed to work…

how? i would use…

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/PopCorn_MKV_AudioConverter

if your video file is an mp4 file, then you need to remux it to an mkv…use mkvtoolnix—mkv merge (mmg.exe) <5mins, depending on your pc specs

aac audio is your problem i believe. i dont think your receiver/amp is able to decode aac audio.

tried setting audio to stereo instead of digital?

else convert the 5.1 aac audio to 5.1 ac3 and it will be guaranteed to work…

I already try that and i get some sound but its so bad and its not for listening in any case ! 

This work on last stable 1.02.21 but lot of files are not readble in this stable with massage that files is corupted and maybe not compatible ! This is fixed in 1.03.35 - 1.3.42 but problem is sound like i posted ! 

hope so that wd fix this if works on 1.02.21 why doesnt work on 1.03.xx 

Sorry for double post ! 

if your video file is an mp4 file, then you need to remux it to an mkv…use mkvtoolnix—mkv merge (mmg.exe) <5mins, depending on your pc specs

Im using gentoo linux pc is great but i dont have software for remux in linux and i never do that ! 

I also try this site and folow guides and try it tools but for this distro linux is not working well ! 

For others maybe more happines ! 

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/index.php/Converting_DTS_to_AC3

I also try to install virtual windows xp on this machine and try it will be much easy that will work on WD this :frowning:

Hello,

I’ve updated from .21 and my HDMI will only output in 720P.  If I revert back to .21 it outputs at 1080P (which it should).

Seems to be an issue with the HDMI resolution detection or something…

Its support also that for decode ! 

I also try all this files on Apacer AL670 and works fine but i much more prefear WD ! 

This problem is on WD not on my sound system ! 

I just check and support for sure aac … here this link for my sound system ! 

http://www.logitech.com/en-roeu/speakers-audio/home-pc-speakers/devices/224

oceansoul wrote:

This problem is on WD not on my sound system ! 

I just check and support for sure aac … here this link for my sound system ! 

http://www.logitech.com/en-roeu/speakers-audio/home-pc-speakers/devices/224

The specifications on that product page make no mention of hardware decoding of AAC 5.1.  Like virtually every other home theatre sound system, the Logitech Z-5500 does NOT support AAC surround decoding.  It’s mentioned in the Features section, incorrectly.  

A quick Google search reveals that the only way to get AAC 5.1 working on the Logitech is to have the media player convert the channels to PCM (like a PC or PS3 can do) prior to output.  The Live simply can’t do this.

I’ll agree that the WD is at fault, since it’s obviously outputting the AAC 5.1 as a bitstream instead of downmixing like it used to in the 1.02.21 stable release.

But then I’d also point out that AAC 5.1 is a useless surround codec, given almost no AVR on the planet can decode it.  Doesn’t even work right on the new AppleTV (so if Apple can’t make their own codecs work on their own hardware, what chance does WD have?).  :)

You need to convert your files to AC-3 5.1, at which point it’ll play back perfectly on the Live.  

Hi, downloaded this latest firmware update and all seemed to go well

However, after the initial Western Digital screen came up, nothing else happened, i just got a blank screen.

Occasionally, it would come up saying that it was unsupported format going into the tv but then that would go away and come back again.

I must have done something wrong. How do i go back to the original firmware as i cannot now access the menu on the WD TV Live

wdtvlive_1.03.42_V

Still does not work with HDMI: When TV and WDTV Live are powered on they do not negotiate a connection, TV says “No signal” - power cycling WDTV Live eventually yields a picture.

Can’t the programmers change it so there is a HDMI renegotiate when you soft power on/off so I don’t have physically unplug the device each time?

(or go back to 1.03.22 which worked)

The rollback instructions are on the same webpage you downloaded the code.

You can also try hooking up your WDTV via COMPOSITE or COMPONENT cables and change the HDMI mode to something you know functions with your TV.

Comoman wrote:

Hello,

I’ve updated from .21 and my HDMI will only output in 720P.  If I revert back to .21 it outputs at 1080P (which it should).

Seems to be an issue with the HDMI resolution detection or something…

Ditto here…  If set to AUTO, it insists on using 720P instead of 1080P…  Same behavior as in the last few betas.

It also drops to COMPOSITE mode if I turn off my TV.

Thanks, I am trying to download that now but not sure how i will install it without seeing what is on the tv screen

unfortunately i do not have an optical cable (although i am sure i did have one)…the system worked absolutely fine before installing this firmware

I am in the UK so wondering if it is the whole PAL situation