WD TV Live Limited Public Beta Version 1.03.42 (10/11/10)

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Comoman wrote:

Hello,

I’ve updated from .21 and my HDMI will only output in 720P.  If I revert back to .21 it outputs at 1080P (which it should).

Seems to be an issue with the HDMI resolution detection or something…

Ditto here…  If set to AUTO, it insists on using 720P instead of 1080P…  Same behavior as in the last few betas.

It also drops to COMPOSITE mode if I turn off my TV.

How can i check if it’s in 1080 or 720? Have not installed the new beta.

I also have HDMI auto does not work. And also, if you unplug the player remote control signal to HDMI continues to be made. On 1.02.21 my TV reported that there is “no signal”.

Will it be fixed?

Todd, some TVs will report the HDMI resolution, some won’t.  (My new LG TV does, my old LG TV doesn’t.)

Hi and thanks for the reply! 

Ii’ve now tried this beta and i must say WOW!

I do know now why i could not see my res. With this new beta i can:

1. Select HDMI auto and it works! My TV LG 42" 3 years old HD ready handles only 60 mhz 1080i :frowning: BUT much better quality than before.

2. MUCH faster menubrowsing! Even with thumbnailview!

3. DVD menu is now working

I almost went back to old firmware because my WiFi dongle did not respond, but after resetting everything it worked.

I REALY like this firmware!!! :slight_smile:

Me happy now!

i tried to updat the firmware. wd restarted a few times. Now It shows the first WD logo and afterwards i just get a blank screen. I tried to reset, doesnt work same thing happens. What should i do?  how do i rollback since i cant access the menu?

The rollback instructions are on the same page as the firmware download.

rollback instructions says i need to access to the menu however i cant access the menu??

j_gry2003 wrote:

Thanks, I am trying to download that now but not sure how i will install it without seeing what is on the tv screen

unfortunately i do not have an optical cable (although i am sure i did have one)…the system worked absolutely fine before installing this firmware

I am in the UK so wondering if it is the whole PAL situation

Interesting thought about PAL - perhaps that is it.

At firmware 1.03.40 I also got blank screen during booting. I connected the media player to the tv with the composite cable then set the HDMI deep-color mode to 8-bit. No more blank screen on HDMI after this.

Skidmark wrote:

i tried to updat the firmware. wd restarted a few times. Now It shows the first WD logo and afterwards i just get a blank screen. I tried to reset, doesnt work same thing happens. What should i do?  how do i rollback since i cant access the menu?

After you got the log and then get the blank screen - can happens if you take the remote and press the red button (ie the “off” button) ?

In a previous beta, the wdtv live appeared to crash after it had shown the WD Logo - when it tried to negotiate HDMI and then failed. And nothing happen when i pressed the “off” button - the light was expected to go out but it didn’t.

Try this, have the tv turned on and on the WDTV Channel then try uplugging the WDTV Live from the power - ie pull the plug out, wait about 15 seconds, then apply power to the WDTV Live again - see if something happens.

Sometimes it manages to negotiate a connection if the tv is showing the device.

As I was legaly running .41 for some days, I haven’t saw anything good/bad with .42.

It solved my last problem: to remember resolution settings. So does .41.

I don’t know if I’ll try another beta. I’m a happy user. Not a happy “long-time-customer” as it took a lot of time to solve hdmi handshake and resolution “memory”.

I have to congratulate WD, as it solved my problems, finally!

Is it possible that the WDTVLive can adjust the HDMI Video Output modes like 24Hz or 50/60Hz based on source content?

For example; Blu-ray .m2ts file auto switch to 1080p24Hz, DVD to 1080p50Hz?

Or is the HDMI, by design, a one time handshake?

edit

Auto detect frame rate (24/60 etc.)

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Ideas/Auto-detect-frame-rate-24-60-etc/idi-p/184

Hmm almost 2 years in ‘review’.

TV is Sony Bravia KDL 40W4500, WDTV Live V1.03.42

• 12-color depth still not working (just blank screen)

• if WDTV Live is set to 1080p 60Hz RGB High, it works fine, but if you turn off TV for a few minutes (wait to hear “click” from the TV), then on again, WDTV drops to 1080p 60Hz RGB Low, and I have to set it again to RGB High. There was no problem like that with V1.02.21, but the same problem is at V1.03.40 and  V1.03.41.
      It happens even if the WDTV is turned on all the times, also if you put a playback on a “pause” - it is enough just to turn TV off.

• most of the times, after turning off WDTV, the 1080p/60Hz setting is remembered, but the other times it drops to 720p/60Hz, and RGB High setting almost never remembered.

• still no 1080p/23.976 fps support

HDMI issues still persist for me (my TV is an LG 47LH4000). When the WD TV Live is turned off, HDMI signal remains. When it is turned on, it starts with 720p 50 Hz. Sometimes it sets itself to composite output. When it is set to auto, it always works with 720p 50 Hz. I wonder if somebody has managed to get it work at auto correctly?

If I turn it on while the TV is off, composite output is set.

Thanks, the other link is gone. Good luck

I spoke to soon, now it wont connect to my WiFi.

Anyone who has any good tip for me? Like removing my old connection or something…

1 Like

ToddeSwe wrote:

Anyone who has any good tip for me? Like removing my old connection or something…

Try resetting to factory defaults via the internal menu and unplugging for some minutes.

richUK wrote:

ToddeSwe wrote:

Try resetting to factory defaults via the internal menu and unplugging for some minutes.

Will do that tomorrow, i’m to upset now :slight_smile: and to tired!

Thanks for the tip! I realy don’t want to go back to the old version now :slight_smile: this one is so good when it is working!

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Comoman wrote:

Hello,

I’ve updated from .21 and my HDMI will only output in 720P.  If I revert back to .21 it outputs at 1080P (which it should).

Seems to be an issue with the HDMI resolution detection or something…

Ditto here…  If set to AUTO, it insists on using 720P instead of 1080P…  Same behavior as in the last few betas.

It also drops to COMPOSITE mode if I turn off my TV.

Where do you change it from Auto to a manual setting?

Grimson, you must be on a different calendar…  The AutoDetect FrameRate idea has only been there 10 months, not almost 2 years… :wink:

Comoman:  Go into SETTINGS / AUDIO VIDEO SETTINGS / HDMI … and pick your favorite.

Now, whether or not it will REMEMBER that setting later is another story altogether.