WDTV Live Limited Public Beta 1.03.38_V (8/11/10)

Attention WD TV Live Users,

We are pleased to offer another limited public beta WD TV product update to make your viewing experience better than ever.  We are limiting this to the first few hundred people who download it.  Feel free to install it, but be aware this is beta firmware that we are still testing, so use it at your own risk.

Please post your experiences to this thread.  Do not contact customer support for issues found with this firmware.

WD TV Live Firmware Limited Public Beta Release:  http://www.wdc.com/wdtvlive_limitedpublicbetarelea​se/ 

Important Update: Limited Public Beta is no longer available.  The Beta page will stay up for those that need to roll back to the previous firmware version.

1 Like

It is not availible yet…

This link takes you to 

Beta v1.03.35 not 1.03.38

Why post a link before posting the file ??

Thanks, the file is online now… downloading…

Tel911 wrote:

This link takes you to 

Beta v1.03.35 not 1.03.38

Why post a link before posting the file ??

You have obviously not done this before otherwise you would know not to attempt to download anything from WD until at least an hour after the link is posted :wink:

Oh no, nothing has changed. HDMI issue is still present, and the mkvs with compressed header don’t play.

I checked the firmware version in About, so I’m 100% sure it is upgraded to 1.03.38_V.

WeeDee:   WHAT HDMI issue is still present?   And there was nothing mentioned about MKVs being fixed…

no 24p modus !!! still always 1080 50p or 60p. 3 beta’s and no bug fix.

great work WD !!!

1 Like

Proper, what kind of display are you using?

TonyPh12345 wrote:

WeeDee:   WHAT HDMI issue is still present?   And there was nothing mentioned about MKVs being fixed…

The screen resolution goes back to 1280x720@50Hz every time I turn on the unit, just like in .35. It needs to remain on 1080p.

Actually the solution for MKV issues was mentioned here:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/header-removal-compression/m-p/38295#M3768

Right, but the release notes for this Beta says nothing about it, so we can assume that fix is yet to come.

WeeDee, remember to post your Make and Model of HDTV so WD can track the problem…

Tried 1.03.38_V with my Toshiba 32C3035DG TV, color depth setting at 12 bit

HDMI handshake problem persists.

No more HDMI output after firmware upgrade.

This first occurred after the update to version 1.03.35, version 1.03.22 was ok.

I used composite output to perform rollback to official release, HDMI again ok under that version.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

WeeDee, remember to post your Make and Model of HDTV so WD can track the problem…

Yes, ok, the TV is Samsung LE-40B651.

I DL this firmware but I won’t install it since I already see problems.

I am remaining with the B-Rad firmware that solved the HDMI “auto resolution” issues and also is keeping the audio files intact (HDCD signal is not mangled at the SPDIF output like in the betas).

Maybe WD should look into paying B-Rad and other two contributors and adopt that firmware as official :smiley:

I bet would be even cheaper!

B-RAD’s firmware is built on the same core as the WDTV…

You’re not going to see any Codec / Hardware Interface differences between WD’s code and B-RADs.

B-RAD is built of 1.02.24 code, I think, so WD’s 1.2.24 code is just as stable in terms of Codec and HDMI…

They added one codec.

And yes, they are still using the “old” 1.02.24 audio codec. All the “new” betas did something with the audio flac files and are corrupting them in the digital domain.

Also, their firmware resets the HDMI connection between the Menu and movies - in this way the movies are played on their native resolution, not upscaled by the WDTV. Upscaling or whatnot is left for the TV to handle - this feature it was requested by many a long time ago.

Also the network connection it is waaaay faster (when I turn on the WDTV). It did take up to one minute before to find the folders/files, now it is in the seconds range.

Good to know, SoNic…  Thanks for that.   I’m running B-RAD on one of my Lives, but it’s one I seldom use, so I haven’t noticed much of a difference outside the UI.

1080p24 still doesn’t work, it switches back to 50 or 60. Hope this issue will be fixed soon.

PS. TV is Samsung LE-40B653.

Hi,

I saw in the release notes this beta fixes HDMI handshaking issues.

Does it resolve the problem when you turn off the unit it doesn’t  seem to properly 

release/turn off the HDMI signal to the TV.

On the non-beta version my TV shows  “No Signal” when you turn off the unit.

On the last beta version (1.03.35) I saw a black screen when I turned it off.

The only way to turn get it to release the TV was to pull the power cable out.

I have a LG LH35 LCD Full HD display.