WD TV Live Firmware Pre-release Update (3/17/10)

Where is the option to move the subtitles around?  Has the option menu buttons been remapped to allow this? 

is there any information anywhere that describes how to move the subtitiles?

When ripping a DVD to the original authored content with all files in the Video_TS folder,subtitles will not show up at all when using a streaming program to strem to the WD Live with an ethernet connection.  If the Video_TS folder is copied to a thumb drive then inserted into the WD Live–NOT using streaming–then the subtitles will be seen. 

Using this method with the new pre-release firmware, I can’t find any way to move the subtitles as part of the aded feature. 

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

jkb242 wrote:

Where is the option to move the subtitles around?  Has the option menu buttons been remapped to allow this? 

When ripping a DVD to the original authored content with all files in the Video_TS folder,subtitles will not show up at all when using a streaming program to strem to the WD Live with an ethernet connection.  If the Video_TS folder is copied to a thumb drive then inserted into the WD Live–NOT using streaming–then the subtitles will be seen. 

Using this method with the new pre-release firmware, I can’t find any way to move the subtitles as part of the aded feature. 

Press the up and down arrows to move subs.

jkb242 wrote:

You may find that this feature does not work with Vobsub subtitles which are used in DVD’s.

Everything I have is in MP4/AAC, archived from my BR library. I went from the latest released version, 1.01.24, to this pre-release version. After a lot of MP4 playbacks, I am still seeing AAC dropouts, maybe not as much as released version, but I am now DEFINITELY seeing the issues here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/marzoqikhaled?feature=mhw4

Sometimes it will resync and recover, and sometimes not, sometimes it recovers in a few seconds, sometimes minutes, sometimes never. But it happens on just about every title. So I decided to run an experiment. I took one of my mp4s, The Perfect Storm, which is about 11mb/s video data rate. I used mkvtoolnix to take the h264 and 5.1 AAC stream from the MP4 and make an mkv from it, so the SAME elementary streams, just remuxed into mkv.

The h264/AAC 5.1 mkv works much better. There are STILL audio dropouts, but much fewer. But video playback and sync are perfect. Just the dropout issue.

Then I went a step further, I made an mkv with the same h264 video, but used a flac 5.1 version of the soundtrack, instead of AAC. This mkv has NO dropouts and plays flawlessly. So the issues can’t be network related, since all tests were played from a TwonkyMedia Server from linux, all 3 tests from the same server.

I hope the MP4/AAC issues are resolved soon. They are pretty much unplayable with any firmware I have tried at this point.

One more note, I did restore to factory defaults after firmware upgrade, and I also am using STEREO for audio output at this point, since AAC and FLAC don’t seem to work through digital. Maybe they will output as multi-pcm in the future.

Thanks.

I cant see subtitle when I use media server?I dont know if it is normal…My subtitles are same with movie name (spider.avi+spider.srt)

Anybody who can use subtitle with any media server (network playing via server) ? Thanks

Everyone tlaks about this little button to hard reset the unit but for how much time must I press it?

If I press it for about 4 secs like WD instructions, nothing happens, if I press it for about 10 secs, the TV resolution will change.

So for how much long must I press this button?

Cheers

1 sec…

pressing for 10 secs will swap betw pal and ntsc

After a lot of testing, I decided to roll back to 1.01.24. I would rather deal with drop outs, then the mp4 speed up sync issues. But I can’t seem to roll back. I put the 1.01.24 files on a usb 4gb thumb, formatted as FAT32 on a MBR partition, and the upgrade firmware icon won’t show up. Any tricks to this? When I upgraded to 1.02.19, at first, the icon didn’t show up either. Then after a few minutes, it came up, this time I can’t seem to do anything to make the firmware icon show up so I can roll back. I even have tried resetting to factory defaults a few times.

I have installed 1.02.19 and done some playing around.

• The lag playing mkv files (from 1.02.14) has been fixed.

• In thumbnail mode, the jpeg files in my network shares are no longer displayed (as other users have reported).  I have done multiple hard resets, return to factory defaults and power cycles with no effect.  The shares are on a Win XP network.  The same jpeg thumbnails worked fine under 1.01.24.

• The feature to input a Workgroup name has some unique quirks.  The WD TV Live doesn’t appear to handle workgroup names of longer than 10 characters although they can be input.

PC=“WORKGROUPPP” and WDTVLive=“WORKGROUPPP” = No network shares visible
PC=“WORKGROUPPP” and WDTVLive=“WORKGROUPP” = Visible network shares
PC=“WORKGROUPP” and WDTVLive=“WORKGROUPP” = Visible network shares

• I get no audio when I play mov files with AAC 5.1 sound.  When I play mov files with AAC 2 channel sound, the audio plays fine.  The WD TV Live is hooked up through a home theatre system via HDMI and the Audio Output is set to digital.

For AAC 2 channel mov’s, the onscreen display indicates “Audio channel AAC”.  For the AAC 5.1 mov’s, the on screen display indicates “Audio channel AAC (Digital)”.

I hope the feedback helps.

ragboy wrote:

After a lot of testing, I decided to roll back to 1.01.24. I would rather deal with drop outs, then the mp4 speed up sync issues. But I can’t seem to roll back. I put the 1.01.24 files on a usb 4gb thumb, formatted as FAT32 on a MBR partition, and the upgrade firmware icon won’t show up. Any tricks to this? When I upgraded to 1.02.19, at first, the icon didn’t show up either. Then after a few minutes, it came up, this time I can’t seem to do anything to make the firmware icon show up so I can roll back. I even have tried resetting to factory defaults a few times.

wdtvlive.ver has a newer version than 1.02.19?

eg…

VERSION='1.02.20’LOCATION='wdtvlive.bin’PKG_LOCATION=‘wdtvlive.pkg’

ragboy wrote:

Everything I have is in MP4/AAC, archived from my BR library. I went from the latest released version, 1.01.24, to this pre-release version. After a lot of MP4 playbacks, I am still seeing AAC dropouts, maybe not as much as released version, but I am now DEFINITELY seeing the issues here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/marzoqikhaled?feature=mhw4

Sometimes it will resync and recover, and sometimes not, sometimes it recovers in a few seconds, sometimes minutes, sometimes never. But it happens on just about every title. So I decided to run an experiment. I took one of my mp4s, The Perfect Storm, which is about 11mb/s video data rate. I used mkvtoolnix to take the h264 and 5.1 AAC stream from the MP4 and make an mkv from it, so the SAME elementary streams, just remuxed into mkv.

The h264/AAC 5.1 mkv works much better. There are STILL audio dropouts, but much fewer. But video playback and sync are perfect. Just the dropout issue.

Then I went a step further, I made an mkv with the same h264 video, but used a flac 5.1 version of the soundtrack, instead of AAC. This mkv has NO dropouts and plays flawlessly. So the issues can’t be network related, since all tests were played from a TwonkyMedia Server from linux, all 3 tests from the same server.

I hope the MP4/AAC issues are resolved soon. They are pretty much unplayable with any firmware I have tried at this point.

One more note, I did restore to factory defaults after firmware upgrade, and I also am using STEREO for audio output at this point, since AAC and FLAC don’t seem to work through digital. Maybe they will output as multi-pcm in the future.

Thanks.

I also have the same problem.

The dropouts always occur at the exact same spots and doesn’t matter if I play the movie from a network share, a media server or local folder. All files play fine on the PC.

ragboy wrote:

Go to the pre-release page and download the ‘special’ .24 firmware under the heading ‘How to roll back to 1.02.24’ this already has the VERSION=‘1.02.20’ in the .ver file  which is necessary to fool the unit into downgrading.

http://www.wdc.com/wdtvlive_prerelease/

sdcvn wrote:

I cant see subtitle when I use media server?I dont know if it is normal…My subtitles are same with movie name (spider.avi+spider.srt)

Anybody who can use subtitle with any media server (network playing via server) ? Thanks

See here:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/WDLIVE-Movies-dont-read-SRT-subtitles-with-NAS-by-LAN/td-p/5421

Just installed 02.19 pre-release on my unit. Here are my impressions so far;

General Observation: I finally got my file length status bar working again (for some reason it was permanently broken for my on the February firmware). Yay~

Anyway, the only feature I’ve seen in action so far are the moveable subtitles and here’s my initial thanking and spanking;

-I warmly welcome this feature! Thanks! Thanks a lot!

-Save placement. Some sort of way to store it so you don’t have to reset it everytime would be nice.

-Single line prints need to be corrected. Currently, when you print a single line of text, it prints that line at the same place as the bottom line of a multi-line print. Please either set it so that single lines print at the same spot as the first line would in a double line entry (or make an option for setting preffered single line printing, although single lines are pretty much always printed in the top stop). Of course, I know there are a lot of amateurs making their own subs out there with as much as 5 lines of text and stuff (Although one should never really surpass 2).

Another little thing;
Digging through my archive, I’ve noticed two odd issues appearing on some of my videos (this appeared on 01.01.24 too, so not new to 01.02.19)

1. Too Slow!

-Some AVC1/MP4 encodes seem to play the video track too slow. I’ve not done much of a study of it, but I believe there’s a possibility it might not detect that they’re 30 FPS properly and force play them at 24 FPS instead.

1. Stuttering Video!

-Some XviD encodes I have have this odd habit of having occational freezes/hiccups. It’ll play the video for a few seconds, then freeze on some frame (audio continues), and then it’ll quickly catch up again and play for a few more seconds before it’ll repeat the procedure again. The only recurring pattern I’ve seen is that it seems to happen (mostly) at the exact same frames during repeated playback. Only noteworthy thing would be that these are the only XviDs encodes these happen to in my archive and they are the  only XviD encodes I keep in MKV containers ('cause of quick access to multiple audio-tracks).

And one more regarding subtitle timing (really sorry if this should all be written in seperate threads or something. I can fix that later, if necessary!);

-There’s something that can get a bit annoying with certain subtitle files. Since a lot of subtitles for various movies/series that are available for download online are made by amateurs, the timing is sometimes off. Not much one can do about that without retiming the entire thing. However, what can be partially fixed is the really awkward splitting some people do.

To give a quick sample;

You have 3 lines of text;

0.00.07 – 0.00.11

1.This is my test subtitle

0.00.08 – 0.00.12

2.but this line ruins it

0.00.09 – 0.00.14

3.good luck reading any of that!

What happens is that 1 will first print, but the moment 2 starts it’ll remove 1, even if there’s still 3 secs to go for 1, just like 3 will remove 2.  Some sort of option that will let you set the WD HD LIVE to print more than one subtitle string at once (if their timing overlaps) and a sub-setting that enables you to set the X amount of extra/overlapping strings you want to be the max. 

I’m still having audio sync problems which affects various formats including mkv, m2ts (these play fine on a PC) - does not seem to be a problem in stereo. WDTV Live is connected via HDMI to AV Receiver.

DaveL wrote:

• In thumbnail mode, the jpeg files in my network shares are no longer displayed (as other users have reported).  I have done multiple hard resets, return to factory defaults and power cycles with no effect.  The shares are on a Win XP network.  The same jpeg thumbnails worked fine under 1.01.24.

I’ve read this a few times from users, but I’m having a diferent problem with thumbs.  It seems to be triggered by switching list view once or twice - the player will freeze and I need to power cycle it to get it working again.

By the way, I love the new preview window functionality, but I think it’s sorely missing from your search results page.  When you search a drive or media server, the results are displayed in list mode only.  The preview window, as it functions now, would be of great use.  BTW, any chance of having network shares searchable?

One last suggestion:  Smaller overlay on  thumbnails, and/or dynamically zoom into thumbs or row of thumbnails as highlighted.

Anyways, please  keep it up.  Let’s make the wait worth it for us launch unit enthusiasts.

Another problem I see with preview mode is that there is no way to pause it.

Basically once you are in the preview mode it starts playing the file and does not respond to pause or stop.

It could be good idea to allow pause and stop to re-start the preview of the file instead of switching back and forth between files. But being able to pause preview is needed. 

That’s a great idea, mixon.  Unless they have something planed for those buttons, I don’t see why we can’t take advantage of them like that.

Flac (Multichannel 5.1 and 2.0 FLAC) is not working over Media Server (upnp). The GUI shows playing, but there’s no sound over AV-Receiver. DTS-WAV works fine.

Please fix it.

1 sec…

pressing for 10 secs will swap betw pal and ntsc

And how will I know if it is on PAL or NTSC ?