WD TV Live Firmware Pre-release Update (3/17/10)

hopefully not already mentioned yet:

it was possible to stop the video preview with the remote. That doesn’t work anymore and has been nice when going through the files.

Installed the firmware.  So far it seems to be working very well.  MKV files load just as fast as before.  And even the audio sync issues I noticed with MP4 with AAC audio seems to be fixed.

I’m still testing though.  I use the WDTV pretty often so I will post here if I discover any issues.  Looks great so far though.

The firmware upgrade went wrong, wd tv live crashed, it is freezed on WD logo on starup, it’s something live 15 minutes.

What should I do?

EDIT:

I rebooted the system, and loaded the firmware recovery, and then the installation worked good, installed

FuGGer wrote:

FOLDERs shared via Network Share do not display Thumbnails anymore…

folder content eg.

in all previous firmwares, the image Ninja.jpg was displayed as the folder thumbnail when scanning thru my Movies folder via Network Shares in thumbnail mode

man why does this have to get broken…

Don’t forget that when you upgrade you sometimes need to reset, recycle the power and in this case ‘reset to factory defaults’. I had the same problem but resetting to factory defaults has brought back the thumbnail.

Can we please not spend time questioning why it is necessary to do this, its not the end of the world.

cellax wrote:

The firmware upgrade went wrong, wd tv live crashed, it is freezed on WD logo on starup, it’s something live 15 minutes.

What should I do?

Did it freeze after the upgrade?

The upgrade sequence is:

rebooting - WDTV switch off and restart

screen saying not to switch off anything plus indication of update- 0 to 100%

rebooting - WDTV switch off and restart.

Where are you in that sequence? Did you see the upgrade indication?

<u>From WD Knowledge base.</u>

My WD TV failed durring a firmware update, the WD logo is frozen on the screen, the unit requests a USB device with the latest firmware be inserted (with no effect), or the firmware update bricked my WD TV. What should I do?

Problem:

1. The WD TV is stuck on the WD Logo screen
2. The WD TV requests a USB device be inserted to update the firmware (On the WD TV Live)

Cause:

These issues occur because the WD TV's firmware is not loading properly. They can be caused by the firmware not properly installing (often caused by a corrupted download), being interrupted during the firmware update process, or because of physical damage to the device. This issue most frequently occurs when updating firmware on an already damaged unit.

Resolution:

1. First make sure the unit is plugged directly into a wall socket and not a power strip or UPS.
2. Next, try unplugging the unit for 30 seconds, and plugging it back in.
3. If you are still unable to reach the GUI, try resetting your WD TV. Instructions on how to reset the unit can be found in&nbsp; [Answer ID 3646: How to reset any model WD TV](http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3646&p_sid=AYBfeaXj&p_lva=5327&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PTM6MiZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NDEsNDEmcF9wcm9kcz0yMDgsMjk5JnBfY2F0cz0xMzAmcF9wdj0yLjI5OSZwX2N2PTEuMTMwJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=).

If the above steps do not resolve the issue than your unit has failed and needs to be replaced. You can create an RMA (Product Replacement) from the following link:&nbsp; [Product Replacement (RMA) for End Users](http://websupport.wdc.com/warranty/rmainfo.asp?custtype=end&lang=en)

@cellax

Insert the USB stick with the firmware like you did before.

If you still have it in, take it out and put it back in.

If nothing happens for 5 minutes, try it again…

If all fails, unplug and replug the Live and try the USB stick with the firmware again.

(You can only brick it if you cut the power or remove the USB while it’s writing to the flash memory = when it shows the progress bar. Is that what happened? )

I rebooted the system, and loaded the firmware recovery, and then the installation worked good, installed

hy everyone

i just found a couple of new bugs

1-via network share-

when i play a blu-ray movie, if a press the up/down arrow keys from the remote while the movie is playing the image gets frozen, then everything i do doesn’t matter…if i load another movie/mp3 , the only thing that i can see is the image of the blu-ray movie who got frozen  … the only solution is to power off from the switch…if i turn on/off nothing happens, the image still appears when i play something

2-via external hdd-

this time the blu-ray movie isn’t starting at all…i hit play and then nothing…this is the odd part…from the network plays, but from the hdd doesn’t (in the last update this problem never shown up)

sorry for my english…i`m from europe

Still AAC codec’s aoudio sync issue???

At the beginning of movie, it keeps issue.When press forward it fixed…Its no Good

when will u fix it

Still audio sync issues with MKV and AC3 audio!!!  When will you fix, WDTV is useless until you do! 

Plays fine under VLC and XBMC,  but just too hard for the freaking WDTV to deal with!  Heres the mediainfo report

General

Complete name                    : D:\Library\Video\MKV\1 - Television\Fawlty Towers\Extra 01 - Interview With John Cleese.mkv

Format                           : Matroska

File size                        : 809 MiB

Duration                         : 50mn 12s

Overall bit rate                 : 2 253 Kbps

Writing application              : HandBrake 0.9.4

Video

ID                               : 1

Format                           : AVC

Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile                   : High@L3.0

Format settings, CABAC           : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames        : 3 frames

Muxing mode                      : Container profile=Unknown@3.0

Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC

Bit rate                         : 2 016 Kbps

Width                            : 720 pixels

Height                           : 576 pixels

Display aspect ratio             : 4:3

Frame rate                       : 25.000 fps

Standard                         : PAL

Resolution                       : 24 bits

Colorimetry                      : 4:2:0

Scan type                        : Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.194

Stream size                      : 724 MiB (89%)

Writing library                  : x264 core 79

Encoding settings                : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / wpredp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=20.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Color primaries                  : BT.601-6 525, BT.1358 525, BT.1700 NTSC, SMPTE 170M

Transfer characteristics         : BT.709-5, BT.1361

Matrix coefficients              : BT.601-6 525, BT.1358 525, BT.1700 NTSC, SMPTE 170M

Audio

ID                               : 2

Format                           : AC-3

Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3

Codec ID                         : A_AC3

Bit rate mode                    : Constant

Bit rate                         : 192 Kbps

Channel(s)                       : 2 channels

Channel positions                : L R

Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz

Stream size                      : 69.0 MiB (9%)

Language                         : English

Text #1

ID                               : 3

Format                           : VobSub

Codec ID                         : S_VOBSUB

Codec ID/Info                    : The same subtitle format used on DVDs

Text #2

ID                               : 4

Format                           : VobSub

Codec ID                         : S_VOBSUB

Codec ID/Info                    : The same subtitle format used on DVDs

Menu

00:00:00.000                     : Chapter 1

1 Like

I have no problem with audio on my wdtv live.

I am disappointed that this bug has not been fixed yet.  During MP3 playback from a network attached media server (USB WD Elements on a WRT610N router), the wired LAN connection drops after exactly 30 minutes.  This aught to be a really easy bug to find and fix !

My HDTV Live remains not fit for purpose.

Two things.

1. Using upgrade process. Process froze after first reboot before flashing WD. Had to switch off and unplug then when prompted to reconnect USB drive to update firmware. Worked fine after that.

2. Video/audio on digital out, still has serious synch problems in mkv (maybe others haven’t checked yet). On stereo it is fine.

Never tested optical out, I cannot check it sorry.

About freeze on startup on upgrade, same happened here.

About MKV and AC3, no problem here, I think that your AC3 file is corrupted, or not well coded. I checked Pal dvd extracting ac3 and works good.

Same problem on AAC on MKV, doesn’t play smooth

This is a BR Encode. Plays perfectly well on PC. As I said OK in stereo through HDMI, but useless with digital connected to amp. Lip Synch is dreadful. Same bug as reported elsewhere with other firmwares. Just reporting more, that nothing has changed with respect to this.

Pre-release Update brick my WDTV Live !!!

I followed exactly the instructions, after reboot I got a freeze at the progress bar (0% progress). After waiting for 10 min, I have unplugged the box, tried to downgrade firmware, reseted the device → no chance.

When I reboot without USB → freeze on WDTV logo, then I put in the USB drive with firmware → he goes to the update screen but again no progress at all (bar stays at 0%). So I have to send the box to RMA :frowning:

I do NOT recommend to install this pre-release update.

EDIT: problem solved: I have tried another USB stick → works now

Michael

Installed last night with no problem with installation. Reset WDTV twice, then installed new firmware, then reset again. Have been going back and forth between B-rad unofficial and official trying to keep the network issues stable with network, nothing has helped so am curious to see if this works. Use an iMac as media centre then WDTV ethernet hardwired to Airport Extreme hardwired back to computer. So, nothing is wireless but was still losing connection!!

Love the preview mode now where you can continue with out restarting video (except as mentioned by elsewhere you cannot stop the preview by hitting stop anymore)

MKV’s load fast, and 1080P trailers on network shares play without stuttering now.

Early days yet till i can confirm network stability (even though hardwired I was still having problems), if this is fixed then will buy another one as had to return previous one due to headaches with streaming.

My BIG wishlist is DVD menus as all my movies are ripped as VOB and would be great to navigate to chapters and extras.

Will keep testing.

Thanks WD. Have two WDTV and one WDTV Live.  Have got two friends to purchase one as well so there is a lot of support for this product and we are keen for it to work well.

Cheers

After lowered this I finish prerelease, mine 2 hds had left of being recognized. I use 2 hds samsung 1TB, case Maxxtro S3500.

I back fw  1.01.24 is ok

now that we can move subs up or down…

is it possible to make wdtvlive remember the subs last position during a session (without powering off) from movie to movie or even better if it could remember its last position after powering off…

richUK wrote:

FuGGer wrote:

FOLDERs shared via Network Share do not display Thumbnails anymore…

folder content eg.

in all previous firmwares, the image Ninja.jpg was displayed as the folder thumbnail when scanning thru my Movies folder via Network Shares in thumbnail mode

man why does this have to get broken…

Don’t forget that when you upgrade you sometimes need to reset, recycle the power and in this case ‘reset to factory defaults’. I had the same problem but resetting to factory defaults has brought back the thumbnail.

Can we please not spend time questioning why it is necessary to do this, its not the end of the world.

yes yes i reset the device 3 times before i even entered my network, video, etc settings

thumbnails dont appear like it used to…