WD TV Live Firmware Pre-release Update (3/17/10)

this is the first release that can’t get along with the wusb600n v2 wireless usb stick. though this device was never officially supported by wd, it ran flawlessly from the beginning.

I think I switch back to the released version

Regards,

Foo

UPDATE:

after a reset to factory defaults and a powercycle today the wusb600n v2 is back in busyness :slight_smile:

Here are my 2 cents:

• The upgrade worked fine.

• Wireless network connection w/o no problems (showing the signal level is a nice touch).  

• WDTV found the network shares without problems.  

• Windows 7 x64 included WDTV Live in the network map along with some inexistent switches and bridges (nothing like this in 1.01.24).

• The device does not appear in Windows explorer under Network and the connected to it WD MyBook cannot be mapped.

Rolled back to 1.01.24

Network: WDTVLive <-> WUSB600N <-> DIR-825 <-> Win 7 Ultimate x64 desktop (wired).  No other devices were connected to the network during the tests.

I don’t know if WUSB600N is v1 or v2; it is not stated anyware.

My configuration:

WD TV Live WUSB600N V2
Media Access by Samba share.

Upgrades from version 1.01.24, after installation:

• Sharing Samba: Lost login & password for the user account, the device is reset with anonimous user account. Is it possible to remember not to lose each update?

• WiFi: the password has not been removed, the wifi works a bit better but still not very efficient for reading 720p - 1080p. The key WUSB600N WiFi V2 works since the previous version 1.01.24 but the performance is not fabulous … Possibility of improvement?

• Video: MKV & Avi function better images more beautiful. The iso is very slow to have read say that there has not been updated to support this. the m2ts works but in a directory if there are several it can not read the one selected but the largest file. The Mp4 synchronization of sound has been fixed since version 1.01.24, but I always worry about certain file … By cons, always jerks image when the image is fast, it’s more obvious when the image goes from top to bottom is not smooth, problem hardware or software?

• Bug: the apparareil planted at several times after returning and leaving more share directory, read notes & video samba sharing.

• Improved: faster access Samba, WUSB600N WiFi V2 (note wifi to read for future improvement), video quality possible change workgroup name (thank you), audio.

• Idea: reader with a Mode 4 / 3 16 / 9 or vice versa, because there is the zoom and it’s not a nice video 4 / 3. video codecs have they been updated if so which ones?

I still have the same major sync issues others are reporting with .mkv and ac3 audio. I am using component video out and optical audio. All files that I have problems with on WDTV Live’s newest beta firmware have been tested and have no issues on a PC locally and via it’s A/V outs to the TV/Receiver my WDTV is hooked to (same setup as WDTV Live).

mp4, mkv, and vob all seem to be stable and working for me.

I cant connect to a lan network via router,my monitor cant change resolution better than 720X480 and support 1920X1600.

The good thing is moving subtitle up and down.

Please fix for this things

Thank you and greetings

Can people who dont have any audio sync issue explain how did they test it?At the beginning of Mp4/Mkv files I have issue.When I push button FF/RW issue get lost?

After some random file searching, issue get begin again

I’m with enko2974, please allow a forced resolution output.  Something is wrong with the hdmi handshake.   Here is my edid, perhaps this will help with the fix.  Please pass it to the tech.  I don’t have this problem with 1st gen wdtv.

http://rapidshare.com/files/351049165/edid.bin.html

Hi legend moviment is great improvement, fine thanks.

Hey one friend download 1.02.14 beta firmware and did tested one TV CRT 480i video composte cabe and running fine, but firmware 1.02.19 show 480p and nothing 480i in settings, please put 480i video composte mode again.

Has anyone verified that Windows 7 Play On is now working with video feeds? It only used to work with audio.

I do not have Win 7 at the moment so I can not test it.

In this prerelease have included support for new wireless devices namely the TP-LINK TL-WN821N (Atheros chipset) now works perfectly, which is not done with previous FW. This model is a good thing is that he’s cheap (cost me 19 €) and has a maximum transfer of 300Mbps.

Now there is the issue of transfer of files that have a high bitrate, I tried some and the picture freezes or the sound is lost, do not know if NFS data transfer will be better.

I tried to hanewin, but does not work.

Someone can help me?

Regards

Good firmware but some work to do yet.

I agree with memorize the position of subtitles. It’s very annoying having to reposition the subtitles

after stop and play again a movie or change movie. I think this is very simple to implement.

Let me add something that I already mentioned earlier. It is not possible

do delete external subtitles from the file manager, only jpg and movie files, not external subtitle files. Why is that?

And please WD people. This is a great box, do great firmware, be the best because this little box of yours is very powerfull.

I still get the same “There is no media in the current folder” message that I get with all previous firmware versions when trying to browse my workgroup or NAS.

My Windows 7 and XP computers can all browse the workgroup (default “WORKGROUP”) and see the hosts within it and they can browse the shares on the NAS (OpenSolaris/EON CIFS based).

I tested few days… and as i assumed, fixing one thing usually get making new bugs…

OK, as FuGGer wrote, thumbnails are gone, i don’t have them also, tried factory settings, power off, etc. nothing helps.

And i have crash for first time in playing YouTube videos, while was signed in with my account, then get back to Search, typed word, hit Submit, and crash, WD restarted.

To: sdcvn

I really NEVER had sync problem, can not tell you how… i simply use my network (cable connection), connected to router, set well… play all sort of movies downloaded from Internet (MKV, AVI, MP4, many different in 720p, 1080p…), from Windows XP connected external HDD, and from Windows 7 some videos, also tried with my business PC where Vista is installed = EVERYTHING OK! And also i played many videos converted by me using Total Video Converter = work OK.

So, in this release i only see subtitles movement, that i didn’t need at all, and font size, also never needed, but ok, i guess that somebody could find it useful.

After all, thanks for this update!

I can see from previous posts that many people are satisfied!

To:DejanRajic You are Luck one. I m playing Tv series 24 (Mp4 with AAC codec) and some Mkv files (AAC Codec) on my crt Sony Tv with scart…Maybe scart is not good idea for audio.I have no LCD tv for RGB or HDMI connection…I did not try it…

Thanks for your reply but some people still have this AAC/AC3 audio synch…I dont know why…I have no problem with ver. 1.01.00…its intresting…1.01.00 is so perfect for me …I cant update new…

To: sdcvn

I am using HDMI cable to connect with my Plasma TV. Video and Audio go over that same cable.

Can anyone confirm that have sync problem using LAN cable connection and HDMI?

Maybe we should all post different scenarios, to make WD programmers life easier…

quick question: when you guys are resetting to factory defaults, are you doing it within the settings menu or by using a paper clip to hard reset the device on the side of the unit?  Do they do the same thing?

FuGGer wrote:

yes yes i reset the device 3 times before i even entered my network, video, etc settings

thumbnails dont appear like it used to…

No you are quite right, there is something very buggy about thumbnails now.

I added some folder.jpg files to different folders and they don’t show up - the old folders thumbs show up, but not the new ones.

I use HDMI cable sound+video, all works fine

whattheheck wrote:

No you are quite right, there is something very buggy about thumbnails now.

I added some folder.jpg files to different folders and they don’t show up - the old folders thumbs show up, but not the new ones.

Spent a little time today using WDTV ThumbGen on my films folder and there was a weird occurrence when I first accessed it via network share.  I didn’t wait for the folder thumbs to load before navigating down (causing the screen to scroll).  All the other folder thumbs loaded up fast but when I scrolled back up, the first 2 rows of thumbs steadfastly refused to update or show anything.  

I have each film in its own folder.  Going inside showed the folder thumb and file thumb JPGs, along with the actual movie file.  Coming back out still wouldn’t get the folder thumbs to update.

Solution was to shutdown, unplug, wait a bit, re-plug the power then navigate back to the network share and let them load up.   That has always been the solution to clearing the cache and getting thumbs to update for me (certainly not ideal… an option in settings would be nice!).