WD ShareSpace Firmware Update - Version 2.2.91 (12/13/10)

After update to 2.2.91 and disabling some “spare” services and setting Jumbo frame to (1000 Mbps) i have the following performance:

*reading a large file: peak = 28 MB/s, average = 26 MB/s

*writing a large file: peak = 17 MB/s, average = 15 MB/s

Information has been taken from Activity Monitor (Mac OS X 10.5.8) while data transfer.

AKazak wrote:

After update to 2.2.91 and disabling some “spare” services and setting Jumbo frame to (1000 Mbps) i have the following performance:

Can you enlighten us as to which services you disabled and how you managed that.

I cannot disable Twonky without wrecking the web interface to the sharespace. I then have to “reset”.

I have seemed to find, quite by accident , that disabling the “HDD Standby” feature in Advanced Configuration, that things seem to be running much smoother, especially the FTP server which seemed to shut down after a period of time before. This experiment is only a couple of hours old…so stand by…LOL

The update fixed some issues I was having but the “speed” is still very slow we’ve gone from “dial-up” speed to slow “dsl speed” but getting closer to acceptable…credits for that

Unfortunately I can not even get into configure my driver or anything when I try to sign in it adds addition letters to the password & wont let me in to do anything

bill_s wrote:

WD is happy to announce the latest firmware update for WD ShareSpace. For information about the firmware update, please check out the release notes.

. Any help would be appreciated.

Unfortunately I can even configure my drivers because it wont let me get into the network  storage everytime I try to log in it adds additional letters to my password & it wont let me do anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

I’ve always had that issue…just delete the “saved” password and retype the correct one…

Oh,  I wish I had read this forum before buying my 4TB WD. The transfer speed is just above 7 MB/s, which is far below the promised performance and the unit is more or less useless for me. I try to return my unit back but I am afraid that might not be possible, the alarm bells should have been ringing as it was on discount already. What I see from this forum this transfer speed issue has been going on for months and months so it will not be a firmware issue but something deeper and probably never solved with this product. Amazing that they still sell and advertise this product… Not so loyal WD customer any more.

Changed the file name underscores to dots… and now uploads file… buts still getting 

“The firmware image is not valid. Please use a valid firmware image.”

Any ideas ?

Many Thanks

Craig

Figured it out… ■■■■  failure message… 

Was due to not having enough space on  root   …  was showing 85% utilised… have rather a large music/picture/video database on Twonky…

Stopped twonky… deleted all of the temp and db files…  ran df… showed 50% root disk space utilised… ran upgrade and it ran fine…

Just need to get Twonky to rebuild its database now…

Had logged a support call… several weeks ago… no response… logged another one a week ago…

CJ

Thanks god I returned the ShareSpace last week and amazon refunded my money. Even the latest update didn’t solve any of the issues. And the relaunched website still tells the the ShareSpace should be faster than an external USB/FW drive. We all know that this isn’t true at all.

AKazak wrote:

Here you are: [deleted]

In my case after “sucessfull” update I got segmentation error & loss of data shares, which forced me to make Restore to Factory Default procedure.:angry:

Good luck!

I am getting the following error when I try to manually update the firmware via the ShareSpace config:

" Failed to upload new firmware image to system!"

Is this a networking error or has anyone else had this issue? 

I am getting the following error when I try to manually update the firmware posted here [deleted] via the ShareSpace config:

" Failed to upload new firmware image to system!"

Is this a networking error or has anyone else had this issue?

If any of you have any trouble shooting steps you can share, I’d greatly appreciate it. I get a “connection refused” error when I try to use the automated firmware upgrade, and the above error when I try to update manually.  Sorta dead in the water here…

I am reading long time now the forum and i am surprized how a brand like WD made such a BIG MISTAKE by producing this Storage system!!!

In my opinion they should make an announcement that EVERY customer who would like to return this for money back would be acceptable!

After all this story i will also keep the company i work for (200+ workstations) FAR AWAY from WD brand!!!

And finally my problem… after updating the latest firmware, believing that MAYBE the speed improves… i realized that i lost my AD 2008 connectivity!!! In fact, it connects but can find no users so i can give access!!! Has anyone the same problem and found any solution?

Thank you

PS Another “stupid” thing… ok i have problem… WHY cannot downgrade the firmware so i have it back working???

Because they don’t care…at the very least this should have been removed from the market place until it was fixed, but it remains for sale, just search “network storage”. Guess they figure no one reads these and it looks like they are right.

Any lawyers out there? Maybe a class action suit is in order. KNOWINGLY selling a defective product, knowingly advertising false specifications, big pockets…?

I have to say, it did improve the speed when it comes to large files, but just by a tiny bit, before I was getting 1.5 MBps now I’m getting 2 MBps, and I have it connected to a Gigabit network, so not happy yet.

I think I have found a solution to all my NAS problems.  I performed a factory restore after backing up my data, yep I lost data, I had more than my fair share of permission problems on my mac - only to find that messing with them trying to get them to work buggered them up on a windows machine too, so was not happy with that.  Anyhow after the restore (which took hours and hours) - it was ready…

I placed a blue ray rip,DVD ISO,DVDrip (divx) and tried to stream to my media player, the MyBookWorld WLE  streams 100% the WDSHARESPACE did not, stuttering and buffering.  So I performed the NAS Update as there was one available and BANG !!! - totally screwed…  Would only turn on HD lights - no power light - could not turn off - could not turn on only by plugging power lead in and out.

I RMA’d the device and this morning I have a new one, I was going to flog it on ebay and get a QNAP - but I figured I’ll at least take a look at it.  Its a brand new unit (seems it anyhow) and it has firmwear

Description NAS Firmware
Version 2.1.96 with MioNet 2.4.0.61
Last Upgrade Mon, 13 Dec 2010 22:26:03

WHOOHOO - formatting NOW as raid0 and I’m full of hope its going to work for me - and if it does its staying at 2.1.96 forever…

So thats my advice to you - SEND IT BACK!!!

I have tested the device and can say its all good - its perfect just like when I first had it.  This goes to prove that it was the firmware.  Now I want to make it clear that file transfer rates were never the problem I always got 15MB/s on file transfers it was the NAS ability to stream media over my lan to either a DLNA or xbmc device, after the upgrade it would not do so properly, even after their so called fix.  Now it does and it does it perfect - I guess I wont be selling it now, and i wont be upgrading its firmware no matter whats new in it.

OK I’m going to be the contray post in this thread I guess,but I haven’t had any issues with Version 2.2.91. I’m on a hardwired gigbit network with a pretty out of the box setting on the Sharespace. I have both Macs and Win7 computers working off it and they consistently get 22-26 MB/sec write and 11-14 MB/sec write speeds. Well that is not a whole lot faster then my PogoPlug I wasn’t expecting much since that’s is what my reserch said is woulf deliver. That and I save several hundred over faster solution so I’m not all that disapointed with it.

Also I haven’t seen any the of the reliability issues otheres are reporting or have I lost data (crossing my fingers) . So I though I just throw my comments here saying that firmware version 2.2.91 is working fine for me and in genera I’m happy with it. If WD can speed it up and add a little better mediaserver I’d say great, but if not I’m fine with it.

’  Hey all! Been a while since I was last on these boards… And looks like there’s FINALLY an updated firmware version that’s worth looking at!

’  My problem is that I’m sitting at home wihtout work at the moment - so I have no access to a network that would allow me to auto-upgrade my devices - my only connection is via a 3G modem attached to my PC.

’  My current versions are 2.1.96 with MioNet 2.3.9.10

’  I would be enternally grateful if someone could supply me with a link to a downloadable file I could use with the manual-update path!!!

’  Thanks in advance, I hope…

Menageryl wrote:

’  Hey all! Been a while since I was last on these boards… And looks like there’s FINALLY an updated firmware version that’s worth looking at!

’  My problem is that I’m sitting at home wihtout work at the moment - so I have no access to a network that would allow me to auto-upgrade my devices - my only connection is via a 3G modem attached to my PC.

’  My current versions are 2.1.96 with MioNet 2.3.9.10

’  I would be enternally grateful if someone could supply me with a link to a downloadable file I could use with the manual-update path!!!

’  Thanks in advance, I hope…

Unfortunately, you can’t download the firmware.  The update has to be done internally through the drive.