WD Passport Wireless Pro DOA out of the box. TWICE

I purchased a 1tb wireless passport pro from a national retailer here in Australia earlier int eh week, get it home and turn it on.

No appearance of the wifi point “Mypassport” on either my iphone X or my mac high sierra.

The device then started flashing all LEDs simultaneously. The manual says contact WD support. After telephoning WD support and pressing 1 for english, then being on hold for more than 10 minutes I hang up and return the device to the retailer for replacement. They replaced it all OK.

I return home and again activation gives me one steady HDD light and 1 flashing wifi light, with no wifi network visible to my devices.

After 30 seconds all 6 lights start flashing - 4x power in unison with the wifi and HDD lights.

I see from many other posts that this is not uncommon. Is there a fix for it? Should I just avoid the WD products at all costs, because if they are not faulty then the manual is written terribly.

any advice would be handy.

I might say that I pressed the two buttons for more than 10 seconds to reset the unit. This does not make any difference to it at all, but no doubt it keeps WD support staff busy telling people to do that.

I bought a 2TB unit from JB a month ago and have had no problems connecting or using.
Dumb question but did you plug in the charger and let it charge up the battery?
Can you see the drive when plugged in to pc via USB?
If yes, can you access the control panel via browser and input 192.168.60.1
If so you can perform a reset via the control panel and check all the wireless settings. From memory when you first set it up there is a pop up window with info that needs to be filled in.
Seems strange you would get two faulty units.