WD passport 2TB

I just bought WD my passport 2TB.
And yes it’s compatible with mac with reformatting.
But when i plugged the HDD “the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer”
Then i tried reformatting through disk utility and “erase process has failed.click done to continue”
Tried restarting my mac and no good.
My mac version is : high sierra
Help me please

Oh boy, you are in for a rough ride! I have been trying for two weeks to get High Sierra to work with my WD external drive. I started with WD tech support. Long story, but bottom line is nothing worked (I also tried the erase, restart, etc.).

Then turned to Apple tech support. After extensive work with 3 techs, they finally turned me over to a Senior Advisor. He has worked with me for most of a week to no avail. As of now, I have sent a ton of systems to him (that took 3 tries and 2 days!) so he can refer the problem to their engineers. Hope to hear back from them this coming Monday (12/18/17).

The problem is High Sierra. WD external drives seem to work with all previous Apple operating systems (although El Capitan was “quirky”).

If the Apple engineers actually solve my problem, I will post back to this Community. In the meantime, don’t waste too much time trying to solve your problem. Nothing seems to work until Apple fixes High Sierra.

Hi essy.
Thankyou for commenting my post.
The problem solved.
And the apple tech seems can’t help me with this kind of problem cause my ios already high sierra.
Even the apple tech wants to trade my HDD so it can work.
And I just reformatted the WD with mac with lower system than sierra.
Yesterday i used OSx.
And now i can use the HDD without any problem :slight_smile:

Lilstewie:

First question: what is HDD?

Second: how did you reformat the WD with the lower system?

I mean the WD my passport
Sorry
Haha.
Yeah,I borrowed my friend macbook that still OSx.
And I reformatted as exfat.
I can use it right now :).
The problem is with the high sierra.
So you can reformat with the lower OS.

The problem is definitely HIGH Sierra. My system was functioning great on Sierra but when I up graded to HIGH SIERRA the MacBook pro crashed. I had to clean the hard drive and reinstall from Maverick through to SIERRA. The MBP is now functioning OK but I am having problems backing up onto my WD 2TB external hard drive.
Initially it was just NOT backing up. Now when I unlock the drive I get a message telling me there is no data stored and the drive is backing up encrypted to un encrypted. I am not a technical person, I don’t understand technical terms so need any help in plain English please.
It shows that it is backing up now

1. Does this mean I have lost all the files? or will they show up when the back up is completed?

There is a problem with High Sierra 10.13 and 10.13.1
If you update to OSX 10.13.2, they fixed most of the common issues.

blockquote, div.yahoo_quoted { margin-left: 0 !important; border-left:1px #715FFA solid !important; padding-left:1ex !important; background-color:white !important; } Thanks for that. But after what I went through I’m not risking upgrading any further. However the WD storage appears to have gotten over its hiccup and is backing up ok now.

jebusx
December 27 |

There is a problem with High Sierra 10.13 and 10.13.1
If you update to OSX 10.13.2, they fixed most of the common issues.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

thelmamary
December 26 |

The problem is definitely HIGH Sierra. My system was functioning great on Sierra but when I up graded to HIGH SIERRA the MacBook pro crashed. I had to clean the hard drive and reinstall from Maverick through to SIERRA. The MBP is now functioning OK but I am having problems backing up onto my WD 2TB …
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.