WD my cloud Goodsync

Hi everyone,

Is there anybody figured it out how to use Goodsync? I want to know about whether realtime sync is possible or not.

I already create jobs.tix files, but it can only sync ./gsync sync /all. The file monitoring hasn’t yet succeed.

Thanks, 

2 Likes

I’d recommend a board search using “Goodsync” as a keyword. Some advanced users have used the application before and may be able to assist.

I already tried that but noone talks about how they sync automatically.

Thanks,

Instructions here - GoodSync for Western Digital MyCloud NAS

It appears one has to enable the “on file change” option for the real time sync function to work. From the Goodsync website:

http://www.goodsync.com/manual#on_file_change

On File Change

Analyze and Sync this job when any file changes in left or right sync folder or its sub-folder.

Our new Real Time Sync mechanism performs On File Change synchronization:

• It Monitors file system for changes,
  • It Analyzes only files that were reported changed by file system, no full Analyze.
  • It Syncs only files that have changed.
  • Full Analyze is performed only on the first iteration of Real Time Sync.

These files systems can do file monitoring, so they can do On File Change Real Time Sync:

• Windows File System, local disks, except root folder.
  • Windows shares, except some broken NAS shares that do not report changes.
  • Mac file system, local disks.
  • Any of the above file systems, remotely accessed via GSTP protocol used in GS Connect.
    None of traditional server file systems can be monitored: FTP, SFTP, S3, SkyDrive, etc.
  • If only one side of the job can be monitored, then GS will get changes only from one side.

On File Change Delay option:
If not zero then GoodSync will wait this many seconds since the last change detected by On File Change, before starting the Analyze and Sync. Note that if you had several changes (including changes performed by this or other sync jobs), the delay countdown will start with the last change that was detected. We recommend to set it to at least 120 seconds (2 minutes), so that GoodSync does not start syncing until files were stable for at least 2 minutes.

Things to know:

• If changes occur during Analyze/Sync, they are still detected and sent to the next Analyze.
  • If these changes are result of our own sync, they will produce no new changes to be synced.
  • On File Change initiates Analyze and Sync, which results in locking of sync folder by GS lock files.
  • GoodSync checks for new changes approximately every 3 seconds, this time quant is configurable.

Step-by-Step Manual is here
Likn [APP] GoodSync for WD My Cloud. Backup and file synchronization

1 Like

Just got our first MyCloud (ex4100) followed the goodsync instructions at
GoodSync for Western Digital MyCloud NAS
as suggested above. The install errors some cryptic errors and then Goodsync doesn’t appear to be working (doesn’t show up from other goodsync PC like it should, can’t log into goodsync at port 11000 etc). Worse yet, upon rebooting the ex4100, the downloaded file and most of the files added during the goodsync install are all mysteriously missing! Is there some prior/post step needed to tell the mycloud to keep changes? can anyone confirm running goodsync on a recent myCloud?

(Purchased the 4100 as it was listed as compatible with goodsync, and now we’ve wasted over 6 hours and can’t get goodsync to run)

You may want to post in the dedicated EX Series subforum where there may be people more knowledgable about the EX4100. This subforum (My Cloud) primarily is for the single bay My Cloud devices.
https://community.wd.com/c/network-attached-storage/my-cloud-expert-series

Also you may want to visit the recent Goodsync thread posted below in the My Cloud subforum which may contain other install information. Note that certain single bay My Cloud units have a different firmware than those used on other WD devices as such teh commands to install the app to a single bay My Cloud may not be the same as the multi bay My Cloud units.

https://community.wd.com/t/app-goodsync-for-wd-my-cloud-backup-and-file-synchronization/173984

Thanks! Been to many recent posts from what the search brought up, but didn’t realize there was a EX area, I’ll post there also.

Listed as compatible by whom…? WD? Goodsync?

Since WD don’t officially support the use of SSH to install packages on the MyCloud (of any variant, I don’t think), it seems unlikely they’d be advocating/promoting the installation of software that must be installed via SSH. The lower-end devices don’t officially support the installation of ‘apps’.

If it was Goodsync, then I’d suggest asking them. As I understand it, Goodsync is paid for software, so if you’ve paid for it, go and get support for their product.

I note the Goodsync page you linked isn’t explicit about which of the many variants of the MyCloud family of devices it is intended for (WDCloud, MyCloud, Mirror, DL, EX2, EX4, Pro)

I also note the comment:

Installer may fail to update-rc.d if you are running Busybox-based firmware.
In this case use the following command to start GsServer manually:

/etc/init.d/goodsync-server start

cpt_paranoia, The goodsync page was all I went off of. I had no idea that the MyCloud family had such a varying set of firmwares across until I received the unit, and had (apparently errantly) assumed the Goodsync folks would have specified if only certain versions were supported. Our model is Busybox-based, but the suggested command also errors:

root@WDMyCloudEX4100 root # /etc/init.d/goodsync-server start
-sh: /etc/init.d/goodsync-server: not found

BTW, here is also one of the install attempts:

BusyBox v1.20.2 (2014-10-30 15:28:01 CST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter ‘help’ for a list of built-in commands.

root@WDMyCloudEX4100 root # ls
goodsync-linux-armv5_marvell-release.run
root@WDMyCloudEX4100 root #
root@WDMyCloudEX4100 root # /etc/init.d/goodsync-server start
-sh: /etc/init.d/goodsync-server: not found
root@WDMyCloudEX4100 root # sh ./goodsync-linux-armv5_marvell-release.run
Verifying archive integrity… All good.
Uncompressing GoodServer for Unix/Linux version 9.9.52.9 100%

=================================================
GoodSync for Linux 9.9.52.9 armv5_marvell Setup

System information:
ARMv7 Processor rev 1 (v7l) – Linux 3.10.39 #1 SMP Fri Apr 29 10:11:35 CST 2016 2014T30p5 Build-gitf66ddae3 armv7l unknown unknown

Installation directory [/usr/bin]: /shares/ehansen
Server resource directory [/shares/ehansen]:

sh: 3428585120: out of range

• Stopping existing instances of GsServer…
  • Copying binaries to /shares/ehansen…
  • Copying resources to /shares/ehansen…

Do you want to run GoodSync Connect Setup [y/n]? y

GoodSync Connect User ID: *******

GoodSync Connect Password:*******

Enable GsServer Web UI on port 11000 [y/n]?

Server log directory [/home/root/.goodsync/server]:

• Checking log directory…
  • Writing GoodSync Connect credentials
    gs-server: Profile at /home/root/.goodsync/server
    ERROR: failed to configure server: Cannot set admin: GoodSync Connect UserId cannot contain character ‘P’, it can be only a-z 0-9 _ -
    root@WDMyCloudEX4100 root # sh ./goodsync-linux-armv5_marvell-release.run
    Verifying archive integrity… All good.
    Uncompressing GoodServer for Unix/Linux version 9.9.52.9 100%

=================================================
GoodSync for Linux 9.9.52.9 armv5_marvell Setup

System information:
ARMv7 Processor rev 1 (v7l) – Linux 3.10.39 #1 SMP Fri Apr 29 10:11:35 CST 2016 2014T30p5 Build-gitf66ddae3 armv7l unknown unknown

Installation directory [/usr/bin]: /shares/ehansen
Server resource directory [/shares/ehansen]:

sh: 3428585052: out of range

• Stopping existing instances of GsServer…
  • Copying binaries to /shares/ehansen…
  • Copying resources to /shares/ehansen…

Do you want to run GoodSync Connect Setup [y/n]? y

GoodSync Connect User ID: pmsigoodsync

GoodSync Connect Password: PMSI Goodsync

Enable GsServer Web UI on port 11000 [y/n]? y

Server log directory [/home/root/.goodsync/server]:

• Writing GoodSync Connect credentials
    gs-server: Profile at /home/root/.goodsync/server
  • Writing server settings…

Your server is now configured for GoodSync Connect

Do you want to configure GsServer service (run as daemon) [y/n]? y

System User ID (run daemon as) [root]: t^Hroot

chown: unknown user root
    ERROR: failed to chown /home/root/.goodsync/server

Then it’s probably better to go and ask them, or find a Goodsync forum, where you will, I’m sure, find far more experience of installing it than you will here.

Is your device even that architecture? (The Gen2 basic MyCloud is [edit: no it isn’t; it’s v7r1]) You can probably find out what the architecture is by running the following command:

cat /proc/cpuinfo

It should be noted that ehansen indicated they have an EX4100 not one of the single bay My Cloud models. And yes they should double check their EX4100 architecture to ensure its compatable.

@ehansen, if you haven’t done so already you should see the Goodsync Support page for their FAQ and online support team.

http://www.goodsync.com/support

I know. I was pointing out that the Goodsync image, being for a Marvel v5 ARM, may be targetted at the basic MyCloud, rather than the EX4100. Having remembered that both Gen1 and Gen2 single-bay MyCloud use ARM v7r1, I’m not sure what thatarmv5_marvell image is aimed at…

Hmmm… looks like it’s found the v7r1 architecture, and has continued to install anyway. Or maybe it didn’t…

One for Goodsync to sort out, certainly.

Certainly goodsync is working on EX4100 but it cannot do real time file syncing. If you have jobs, you have to manually run it or create scheduled task via from.

mkilicar: are confirming that goodsync is running for you on a ex4100? Did you install using the same method goodsync lists or did you have to modify? Lastly, can you confirm your 4100’s specs using “cat /proc/cpuinfo” as suggested above? Unless you have the same version I have, I’ll probably give up and either look for a myCould with the v5 firmware (perhaps whatever you have?), or research other NAS units.

cpt_paranoia, Bennor, others:
Thanks for you suggestions, I’ve noted my info below to help others who may run into the same question.

I had contacted goodsync’s support first and am still waiting for a reply (I also noted to them the arvmv5 vs armv7 difference as I saw that early on, should have noted here…sorry). Posted also to dedicated EX series here.

As for posting here vs other places, and have, but further: There are maybe 5-10 good synchronization apps out there, and a good couple of hundred NAS options, my odds are therefore actually better here than on any goodsync forum of finding someone trying GoodSYnc on a WD ex4100…but I’ve posted everywhere I could think of, and I will followup with my results in each case so there is some record.

cat /proc/cpuinfo from my unit:
BusyBox v1.20.2 (2014-10-30 15:28:01 CST) built-in shell (ash)

root@WDMyCloudEX4100 root # cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
model name : ARMv7 Processor rev 1 (v7l)
BogoMIPS : 3188.32
Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x4
CPU part : 0xc09
CPU revision : 1

processor : 1

Hardware : Marvell Armada 380/381/382/385/388 (Device Tree)
Revision : 0000
Serial : 0000000000000000

Yes, it’s working. Although I got the same error with yours, I directly run ./gs-server and it worked. You need to figure out /home/root/.goodsync folder bc every reboot this folder will be deleted. Don’t expect help from Goodsync support.
What is your main objective to use good sync?
Best,
root@WDMyCloudEX4100 root # cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0

processor : 1

Hardware : Marvell Armada 380/381/382/385/388 (Device Tree)
Revision : 0000
Serial : 0000000000000000

1 Like

Hello .
I made step by step Manual, but I have got MyCloud ( not EX4100)

/shares/ehansen is wrong !!!
You must install in /DataVolume/shares/ehansen !!!
login and password a-z 0-9 only !! Not A-Z and )(*&^%$

Use crontab for gsync sync /all